• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

With Timmons slowing/aging, do we need a new nickel LB?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Timmons has been a warrior. A fine draft pick, he was likely out the best player on defense for a season or two. But he's showed signs of slowing down a bit last season.

Will the Steelers keep playing Timmons on nickel with Shazier?

We might have to. I do not see a replacement candidate unless Feeney can stay healthy and show something as a coverage backer.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think it'll be a big stretch for Feeney to take on that type of role. Instead, I think you change how you use Timmons in this package. In other words, don't stick him on the tight end running down the field where he's going to get toasted. This was a recurring theme last year at camp, but I haven't seen it through the two practices I've been to.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
The Steelers will play the dime more often if they decide to to take Timmons off the field..

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I remember down the stretch last season there were times when Timmons would come off the field in passing downs and they'd leave Shazier out there.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Shazier will be covering TE's and RB's this year. My guess is Timmons will be not drop into coverage near as much and utilize his strength against the run and pass rushing.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I think it'll be a big stretch for Feeney to take on that type of role. Instead, I think you change how you use Timmons in this package. In other words, don't stick him on the tight end running down the field where he's going to get toasted. This was a recurring theme last year at camp, but I haven't seen it through the two practices I've been to.

Agreed.

Keep those camp reporting coming!

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Think Vince Williams is Timmons replacement if this is his last year as a Steeler and we go to the draft to get more depth behind Williams.