• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Who was playing NT last night?

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
Was that Hargrave? It seemed like that might have attributed to all the pressure they were getting on Smith.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Was that Hargrave? It seemed like that might have attributed to all the pressure they were getting on Smith.

McCullers played quite a few downs, but it looked like Hargrave was on the field when the Steelers were in nickel.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Last nite was Hargraves best game as young pro

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Was watching part of the Cowgirls game and they were getting very good pressure even when rushing 3 guys. I wish we could do that. Saw one of their guys blow through 3 offensive players to flush the QB and almost get the sack.

P

POP

They were definitely getting some pressure. But, I am sorry, but I hate it when the supposed creme de la creme announcers make so many bad errors.

Did you hear when Collinsworth was going on about Hargrave, saying that the Steelers hope he is the next Hampton, and that he has the same build as Hampton?

(I actually like CC as a commentator, so that is not why I bring this up.)

No knowledgeable coach or GM thinks:

A.) Hargraves is similar to Hampton.
B.) Hopes he can be just like Hampton, and,
C.) Is built like Hampton.

Hampton was a legit first rounder and deservingly so. Hargraves could be a valuable 3rd rounder but no one thought he was a 1st round talent.

And, no, they really are not all that similar in build. Hampton had a massive, massive rear end, that allowed him to be an immovable object. You just couldn't move that ****** anywhere. Listed as 6-1, 325, he was probably closer to 350.

Hargraves is a little taller (6-2) and not as heavy (305) so he is not nearly the immovable object in there, but definitely is quicker to rush the QB. Hampton was great, Hargraves could become pretty good. With how the game has evolved, having a NT who can pressure the QB more might be the better route to go since the league is much more about passing now.

So, Chris, no, I don't think the Steelers think Hargraves is just like Hampton. They are very different. Their one similarity is they were/are excited about both of them.

steelhurt

Reaction score
A young Casey Hampton all 350 plus lbs. was extremely agile, fast and mobile for such a large man. I remember him chasing Eddie George clear across the field in Tennessee and knocked him the **** out. He cold cocked George into the next week. Big Snack was a bad dude and was feared.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder how much of the increased effectiveness of the DL can be attributed to Heyward's high ankle sprain improving? Assuming that it did because he wasn't moving like a man with an ankle sprain last night.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
They were definitely getting some pressure. But, I am sorry, but I hate it when the supposed creme de la creme announcers make so many bad errors.

Did they also talk about the Steelers having a smashmouth offense and dominating defense?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Last nite was Hargraves best game as young pro

What did he do to impress you? IMO he needs to get stronger. His upper body and arms are pretty small for a nose tackle.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
What did he do to impress you? IMO he needs to get stronger. His upper body and arms are pretty small for a nose tackle.

He had multiple quick penetrations into the backfield. Which is supposed to be his calling card. Tells me he is getting used to the speed of the game. And of course he needs to get stronger he is a rookie. Rookies who come in and are a man among boys is very rare Coach. And they usually go in the top 5 of the draft.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I feel Hargrave and Cam's performance spikes last game, are because they are starting to completely heal from their original injuries they got in the preseason.

If next week shows their explosiveness, look out. Tuitt has been solid as hell, you get Hargrave and Cam penetrating, and we can start to beat teams with a 3 man rush.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Javon Hargrave was tough to block inside as the rookie made some nice plays pushing the pocket up the middle, forcing Smith to stay in the danger zone, allowing his fellow defenders to get to the QB.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/10/steelers-vs-chiefs-positional-grades/

I will also add this from the article

but Anthony Chickillo was a bit of a disappointment before leaving the game with a knee injury. I just didn’t really see the burst or power off the edge from Chickillo that we’ve seen flashes of so far this season.

Thoughts Coach??

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Javon Hargrave was tough to block inside as the rookie made some nice plays pushing the pocket up the middle, forcing Smith to stay in the danger zone, allowing his fellow defenders to get to the QB.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/10/steelers-vs-chiefs-positional-grades/

I will also add this from the article

but Anthony Chickillo was a bit of a disappointment before leaving the game with a knee injury. I just didn’t really see the burst or power off the edge from Chickillo that we’ve seen flashes of so far this season.

Thoughts Coach??

Chickillo has had some moments where he showed he could get to the QB off the edge. He needs snaps. I say give him some of Jarvis Jones Snaps, as he's a zero as a pass rusher. Chikillo may prove better, the key word is may. He can't be any worse.

Javon Hargrave, despite playing more snaps than Chickillo has made fewer tackles. Both have zero sacks.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Chickillo has had some moments where he showed he could get to the QB off the edge. He needs snaps. I say give him some of Jarvis Jones Snaps, as he's a zero as a pass rusher. Chikillo may prove better, the key word is may. He can't be any worse.

Javon Hargrave, despite playing more snaps than Chickillo has made fewer tackles. Both have zero sacks.
So now you are comparing Chicky stats to a rookie DT. Lol. To date Chicky has done nothing. Can he improve? Sure. I don't think he can get worse. In our system he will need to be able to hold the edge. Something he has clearly shown he can not do. Hopefully he will improve. As of now we might be able to bring in a street FA that can bring to the table what Chick does. His pass rush is nothing to tote about either. Sorry Coach. As of now he isn't anything to get excited about.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
It's really sad that you can't admit that you can be wrong Coach. Everyone has strong opinions and sometimes that opinion can be wrong. When it happens just say my bad. It's OK.. I was one of the main contributors to the most infamous thread on this board. But when Archer was cut I was one of the first to admit I was wrong he sucked. It happens. Try it Coach maybe then you won't catch so much ****.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
So now you are comparing Chicky stats to a rookie DT.

Chickillo is pretty close to a rookie as he did not play many snaps on defense.

I'm just saying one guy has fewer snaps but is more productive, and if you want to drill down, Hargrave or whoever plays NT has Heyward ( a pro bowl guy ) and a decent Tuitt next to him.

I like Hargrave's potential, but he's got to get a bit stronger.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
It's really sad that you can't admit that you can be wrong Coach. Everyone has strong opinions and sometimes that opinion can be wrong. When it happens just say my bad. It's OK.. I was one of the main contributors to the most infamous thread on this board. But when Archer was cut I was one of the first to admit I was wrong he sucked. It happens. Try it Coach maybe then you won't catch so much ****.

Where am I wrong? I said one player getting less snaps is more productive than the other. DUH. Archer was a colossal bust. Even you had to admit it, but I'll venture a guess you defended him at some point. Me? I felt he was a waste of a draft pick from day 1.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Where am I wrong? I said one player getting less snaps is more productive than the other. DUH. Archer was a colossal bust. Even you had to admit it, but I'll venture a guess you defended him at some point. Me? I felt he was a waste of a draft pick from day 1.

No wrong I never said he would be great or good my position was let him play before he was considered a bust..sorta the same thing I say about Davis. Let him play before you start tossing the bust label out.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

Chicky hasn't showed anything to suggest that he deserves more snaps. Now hopefully in the future he can turn into a decent player but as of now if/when we let JJ go next season we will be drafting another OLBer high in the draft. As of now Chicky is a below average backup. He is a long ways away from your statement from last year's training camp that he would win the LOLBer's job from JJ.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Chicky hasn't showed anything to suggest that he deserves more snaps. Now hopefully in the future he can turn into a decent player but as of now if/when we let JJ go next season we will be drafting another OLBer high in the draft. As of now Chicky is a below average backup. He is a long ways away from your statement from last year's training camp that he would win the LOLBer's job from JJ.

It might take an injury to Jones to find that out. Jones is our worst starting OLB in decades. Many of our past back ups were better. Tomlin has a histroy of being shown wrong in hindsight as to who to start. It would not surpise me is Chickillo was more productive as the starter...

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
It might take an injury to Jones to find that out. Jones is our worst starting OLB in decades. Many of our past back ups were better. Tomlin has a histroy of being shown wrong in hindsight as to who to start. It would not surpise me is Chickillo was more productive as the starter...

Until he learns how to handle the run he will never start for us unless we have rash of injuries at the position and have no one else. Just what it is. You seem to think he is a better pass rusher than JJ. At this point I would say that he isn't better. And the run he is very substandard. That reason alone most likely is keeping his snaps to a minimum.
Also I will make a guess that it isn't just Tomlin deciding who he should start. I'm guessing he takes input from his coaches. That's just a guess though.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Until he learns how to handle the run he will never start for us unless we have rash of injuries at the position and have no one else. Just what it is. You seem to think he is a better pass rusher than JJ. At this point I would say that he isn't better. And the run he is very substandard. That reason alone most likely is keeping his snaps to a minimum.
Also I will make a guess that it isn't just Tomlin deciding who he should start. I'm guessing he takes input from his coaches. That's just a guess though.

Jones is a slug. Too slow to cover most. Chickillo is a pretty good athlete. Show me where he Chickillo has struggled vs the run. He's made his share of tackle despite fewer snaps.

Like I said Chick hasn't played enough to grade as a pass rusher, but since Jones is a zero, why not find out if he can do it? Maybe he's better. What's wrong with finding out?

Tomlin can listen, but it's his call who starts. To be a fly on a wall, perhaps he has overruled input in the past and been found wrong in hindsight later. I'm sure it has happened...

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
No, Who was on first, what was on second.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Happy day, oh happy dayyyy, oh happy happy daaaayyy