• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What was Davis doing on that blocked punt?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The dude just took off allowing his man to come in unblocked.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Danny Smith did not have the special teams ready. Between the 12 men on the field, to the blocked punt and then whatever that was for an onside kick. Pathetic.

skyhigh44

Reaction score
Agree

Danny Smith did not have the special teams ready. Between the 12 men on the field, to the blocked punt and then whatever that was for an onside kick. Pathetic.

As I said in another thread, he should be let go at minimum. Also had a running into the kicker for a first down and an offsides. Have seen nothing to get excited about from special teams for a few years now.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
As I said in another thread, he should be let go at minimum. Also had a running into the kicker for a first down and an offsides. Have seen nothing to get excited about from special teams for a few years now.

Forgot about the offsides, but the roughing the kicker was a bogus call.

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
He was watching the play, just like you.

mdk2

Reaction score
Not only was he not blocking, but he actually tried to avoid touching the guy... it was like he thought the dude was going to be blocking him.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
looked like he was just trying to get downfield. Not sure if his assignment was to block first or get down after the returner....Golden is behind him and goes to the middle of the field looking to block, is it his job to pick up the guy blitzing from the outside?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
This is just in good fun, but I knew as soon as it happened that you were itching to start a thread on it.

lets see if he can go for a cycle. He's already given up td's vs the run, pass and directly responsible for giving Up a touchdown on special teams. Now all he has to do is scoop up a fumble and run the wrong way.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
lets see if he can go for a cycle. He's already given up td's vs the run, pass and directly responsible for giving Up a touchdown on special teams. Now all he has to do is scoop up a fumble and run the wrong way.

so you know his assignment on that play...it could have been golden's man to pick up while Davis got downfield as quickly as possible....

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
so you know his assignment on that play...it could have been golden's man to pick up while Davis got downfield as quickly as possible....

I doubt it. You don't pull stuff like that on the edge in punt protection. Then again our coaching isn't very good. Who Knows what they called? That Charlie Brown onsides kick was another special teams blunder. I think Tomlin found his fall guy on his staff.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt it. You don't pull stuff like that on the edge in punt protection. Then again our coaching isn't very good. Who Knows what they called? That Charlie Brown onsides kick was another special teams blunder. I think Tomlin found his fall guy on his staff.

Bingo! Start the thread about a rookie, then nonchalantly turn it into a coach bashing session..Sure, no agenda here. Everyone can tell.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Bingo! Start the thread about a rookie, then nonchalantly turn it into a coach bashing session..Sure, no agenda here. Everyone can tell.

I don't dictate coaching or Davis gaffes. I only point them out because they prevent the steelers from winning.

My agenda is winning.

Was it a coaching call or Davis just being Davis? I don't know, but both parties had their heads in their @sses yesterday.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't dictate coaching or Davis gaffes. I only point them out because they prevent the steelers from winning.

My agenda is winning.

Was it a coaching call or Davis just being Davis? I don't know, but both parties had their heads in their @sses yesterday.

Yes, you don't dictate coaching or player gaffes, but you definitely vilify them. It appears you only choose to point out negativity that fits your agenda (Hey I am right, everyone else is wrong).

Poor game planning by the coaches for offense, lack of execution by the players. Defense did its job other than the Wallace blown coverage. Going forward this loss will either define the team's character or reveal it.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Why Sean Davis Wasn’t Wrong On Blocked Punt Fiasco

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/11/why-sean-davis-wasnt-wrong-blocked-punt-fiasco/

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Sean Davis Rotating At Strong Safety With Robert Golden

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...n-davis-rotating-strong-safety-robert-golden/

From my my couch, I was wondering why Sean Davis was in the game every now and then, because he wasn't the slot corner with William Gay out there, and I hadn't heard of an injury to a safety. Was Davis in some kind of a dime package against the physical Ravens offense?
"No," said the rookie. "I'm competing for the starting safety job, so we were alternating series."
That was a surprise. Davis explained that Robert Golden started the game and the two rotated at strong safety throughout. Both players made two tackles.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1725656-inside-the-locker-room

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Why Sean Davis Wasn’t Wrong On Blocked Punt Fiasco

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/11/why-sean-davis-wasnt-wrong-blocked-punt-fiasco/

Did you not read this part? Not exactly glowing evidence that Davis didn't miss the call by Golden. Why would Golden make a call to release and NEVER even look at the end rusher.

What was that signal? No idea. Was that Golden audibling and telling Davis to stay in? Or to kill him staying in and letting him go freely like he had before? That’s the key here. As the personal protector, Golden is the quarterback, making it harder to pin a mistake on him

ark steel

Reaction score
Did you not read this part? Not exactly glowing evidence that Davis didn't miss the call by Golden. Why would Golden make a call to release and NEVER even look at the end rusher.

What was that signal? No idea. Was that Golden audibling and telling Davis to stay in? Or to kill him staying in and letting him go freely like he had before? That’s the key here. As the personal protector, Golden is the quarterback, making it harder to pin a mistake on him

The gist of the story is that it may not be as obvious as it seems. This quote alone is saying that it may have, after all been Davis misunderstood what Golden told him rather than just being an ****** player.

Looking at the clip, I'm wondering if Golden say #42 sneaking into the middle and decided he needed to stay in the middle instead of blocking the edge. Davis misunderstood the signal.

or, as noted on the other clips, expected the edge guy to be trying to stop Davis from getting down the field and rushed, instead. Maybe the Ravens had noted the tendency and changed what they were doing and Golden didn't catch it?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Coaches Take Responsibility For Blocked Punt

blockpunt7
BY ALEX KOZORA NOVEMBER 10, 2016 AT 01:30 PM

Danny Smith didn’t explain the breakdown any further, anyone expecting him to would be crazy, but he pinned the blocked punt touchdown solely on himself.

Chatting with Bob Labriola in this week’s Coordinator’s Corner, he said anytime there is miscommunication and confusion, it falls on him.

“To just give one up, that’s coaching. And I mean that sincerely. We had a lack of communication between two players. One guy did one thing, another guy did another thing…it was a lack of communication, and I’m going to take the blame for that. We got two players on the field who aren’t on the same page. That’s me. We handled that on Monday, we’ll handle that today in practice, and we’ll move forward. And it won’t happen again.”

Smith essentially echoed our Wednesday breakdown of what went wrong. If you missed it, you can check out the article here. The miscommunication was between Robert Golden and Sean Davis. Davis released downfield, thinking Golden was going to block his man, while Golden pinched, thinking Davis was going to execute the block.

That Three Stooges mishap let running back Buck Allen rush in free, block Jordan Berry’s punt, and have it returned for a touchdown, giving Baltimore a comfortable 21-0 lead.

It was the first blocked punt touchdown the Steelers have allowed since 1988.

But as Smith pointed out, just like us and something so many people missed, is this scheme was common throughout the game. And it was effective, as Smith noted, holding Devin Hester to 43 total return yards. It was schemed smart and executed well before the failed block. That is like saying the Titanic was sturdy pre-iceberg but it’s important to understand the context and nuance to what led up to that situation.

It isn’t as simple as “this guy missed his block.” That isn’t even true. Knowing all this doesn’t make it anymore acceptable, Smith will be the first to tell you, but more understandable.