• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What to do about Freiermuth?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So as a second round pick, Pat Freiermuth got a 4 year contract… of which he is in year 3… this means he is due an extension.

So here is the problem. I cant for the life of me figure out whether we should extend him, trade him, or just punt till he is a ufa after next season.

Now I am a Muth fan. I definitely think as far as receiving TEs go, he is top 5 in the league… maybe higher.. last season he had 63 catches.. the year before 60 catches… in this cruddy O that’s pretty good

But he has flaws… he only had 9 starts as a rookie and 8 last year… part of that has been injuries… he has missed a couple games and been limited in more… but a lot of that is that he hasn’t been a great blocker, so he would often not be in the game at the start just because they wanted to show run, and people don’t buy him as a runblocker…

Compounding matters is that this year the offense isn’t even trying to use him as a receiver… probably because the line needs so much help… and he isn’t improving as a blocker…

So here is the dilemma .. the AAV of a top 5 te is going to be between 17 and 20 million dollars next year ( waller got a 17 mil one this season and the cap climbs again next year)

Do we give that to him, or let him play out the contract, see if he improves in blocking and isn’t injury prone and then franchise him if he is worth it?
Or do we trade him and hope Washington improves in passcatching then just get another younger true passcatching TE that might be less great at that, but better at blocking? Since that’s obviously what the team really wants…

I really think if Harris wasn’t available in the first, they would have taken Muth there and then he would have had the fifth year option, which would have been ideal here.. but instead we are going to have to make a huge decision real fast…

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I can never look at that draft and not be disappointed the Steelers passed on an All Pro center twice. The way the Steelers clown around on offense, they aren't going to use Freiermuth to his full potential. He should be dangerous over the middle of the field and a tight end who averages 7-8 TDs a year. They're wasting his talent and that combined with his injury history, I'd explore trading him. I'm not particularly high on Washington's potential as a receiver, however, his all-around game is more valuable to what the Steelers like to do on offense--shut down the running attack, limit big plays, limit touchdowns, and avoid the middle of the field.

Steelmann

Reaction score
I’ve said this for the last 4 years. Unless you are trying to resurrect your career in FA or off waivers, what receiver or TE and ****, for that matter RB would want to come here? Our HC,OC and QB play make this a graveyard for positive offensive stats. Can you imagine what this has cost these players in contract negotiations?
Say what you want, but I was surprised DJ signed here. Business wise he would have been far better off going to a team that actually throws the ball over 4 yards. I feel bad for Pat and Darnell. It’s a ******* joke.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Friermuth has all the attributes needed. Our OC doesnt use the TE at all.. its ridiculous. That said.. Yes extend him.. In mean time let washington show what he got.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Love the guy. But seriously what GM/owner/HC takes a TE when you have a glaring need at Center and the best one falls to you in the second round? Not Muths fault I know.

That single choice set this team back years.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Pop
Friermuth has all the attributes needed. Our OC doesnt use the TE at all.. its ridiculous. That said.. Yes extend him.. In mean time let washington show what he got.
Do you extend him if its going to cost another high priced player? Ideally we get an OC who knows how to use a modern TE and tge head coach lets him do that, but we are nearing two decades of Mike Tomlin football and he has always underutilized the TE because he like the added help they can give the line…
Like heath miller is probably a perennial pro bowler on any other team…

You can’t pay everyone, and unfortunately pass catching TE doesn’t seem to be a useful option here.. i mean I almost want him to leave for the sake of his career… though id prefer we just use him right… 2tds last year… thats criminal with his talent… 8 total catches this year… all we want him to do is block and he sort of sucks at that in comparison…

xjx

Reaction score
Trade or something. Get a young guy that can block, kiss tomlins @ss, and call himself a te. Muth isn't worth that big money stated above.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Muuth has the attributes but his availability just hasn't been there. They absolutely need viable options behind him as long as he is on the team as TE1.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Coaching staff fails in the proper use of TEs.

Salute the nation
Well they just IR'd him so he won't be used for at least four more games due to his reaggravated groin.😉

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Love the guy. But seriously what GM/owner/HC takes a TE when you have a glaring need at Center and the best one falls to you in the second round? Not Muths fault I know.

That single choice set this team back years.
The same front office that takes a slow running back in the first round with a bad offensive line in place.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
See I don’t think most front offices would take a stud C over a stud TE… TEs get paid more and get drafted on average a bit higher than Centers… both are near the bottom of priority players though. There is something fundamentally wrong with our oline scheme if we need a all pro or HOF caliber center to make it work… great lines have been built around average centers a lot throughout history….

Having said that, taking a RB over both when you know you needed to fix the line was not something that I think many front office guys would do

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
See I don’t think most front offices would take a stud C over a stud TE… TEs get paid more and get drafted on average a bit higher than Centers… both are near the bottom of priority players though. There is something fundamentally wrong with our oline scheme if we need a all pro or HOF caliber center to make it work… great lines have been built around average centers a lot throughout history….

Having said that, taking a RB over both when you know you needed to fix the line was not something that I think many front office guys would do
Looking at our history at Center the last 50 years, I would say we 100% are used to having a HOF Caliber at the position. It should have been a no brainer to take Creed.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Looking at our history at Center the last 50 years, I would say we 100% are used to having a HOF Caliber at the position. It should have been a no brainer to take Creed.
The center has been the tone setter for the offense. Mad is right, you don't need a HOF center, but the choice didn't have to be TE or C, Humphrey was a good enough prospect to take in the first and they could've had him and Freiermuth.

I just can't figure out how you have such a tall target with good hands and the Steelers couldn't find a way to get him in the ball. When everyone is healthy, the target share should be No. 1 DJ with Pickens/Freiermuth being in that two slot each week depending on matchups.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
No one in the universe other than Mike Tomlin disagrees. But how's that gonna fix his constant injury bug? He's made of glass. Not a great quality for a tight end.
His concussions? Other than that he hasn't missed many games.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
His concussions? Other than that he hasn't missed many games.
yes but one more concussion and he could be done for. I like muth and his talents goto waste here, but he isnt doing anything that washington and heyward cant do given our sorry offense. If we get a good deal i would see what we can get

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Not much to worry about Muth now since he's on IR.

steelreeling

Reaction score
I can never look at that draft and not be disappointed the Steelers passed on an All Pro center twice. The way the Steelers clown around on offense, they aren't going to use Freiermuth to his full potential. He should be dangerous over the middle of the field and a tight end who averages 7-8 TDs a year. They're wasting his talent and that combined with his injury history, I'd explore trading him. I'm not particularly high on Washington's potential as a receiver, however, his all-around game is more valuable to what the Steelers like to do on offense--shut down the running attack, limit big plays, limit touchdowns, and avoid the middle of the field.

Exactly.

Though kick Canada's a** out and i think anybody as OC suddenly turns Muth loose and he collects 10-12 TDs.

steelreeling

Reaction score
The center has been the tone setter for the offense. Mad is right, you don't need a HOF center, but the choice didn't have to be TE or C, Humphrey was a good enough prospect to take in the first and they could've had him and Freiermuth.

I just can't figure out how you have such a tall target with good hands and the Steelers couldn't find a way to get him in the ball. When everyone is healthy, the target share should be No. 1 DJ with Pickens/Freiermuth being in that two slot each week depending on matchups.

i would say DJ should be a zero. Steelers shouldn't throw the ball to a guy who will drop it half the time. Him coming back seems to me to be a case of subtraction by addition.

Pickens is misused as Megatron 2.0. He doesn't belong at the X.
Pickens/Muth lined up in the slot as the Y is f*cking dangerous. Both those guys are incredibly slippery.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
i would say DJ should be a zero. Steelers shouldn't throw the ball to a guy who will drop it half the time. Him coming back seems to me to be a case of subtraction by addition.

Pickens/Muth lined up in the slot as the Y is f*cking dangerous. Both those guys are incredibly slippery.
DJ is way better than you're giving him credit for.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

Please look at his drop % and come back to this thread.
Now if you want to talk about his habit to run backwards... Diontae, the Crab, Johnson

steelreeling

Reaction score
Please look at his drop % and come back to this thread.
Now if you want to talk about his habit to run backwards... Diontae, the Crab, Johnson
14 F*cking drops. 14 goddamnit.