• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What rookie do you think has the biggest 2017 impact?

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Except that Watt is far more athletically gifted from the start, so he's already got Jones beat there. Not to mention his demeanor and desire outweigh JJ as well already, I don't see a comparison whatsoever between the two.

More athletic, definitely. More inexperienced, definitely. Demeanor blah blah bs, desire more blah blah. What it boils down to is that if Watt doesn't have a freakishly athletic older bro he probably goes 2-3 range at best. The comparison I made was likely another OLB that fails to live up to lofty 1st rounder expectations IMHO. Again...I hope I'm wrong, but I personally feel there is more hype to him than potential to be the complete badass we need. I hope I'm wrong, but have to wait and see if JJ 2.0 rears its head or the badass we so desperately need.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
More athletic, definitely. More inexperienced, definitely. Demeanor blah blah bs, desire more blah blah. What it boils down to is that if Watt doesn't have a freakishly athletic older bro he probably goes 2-3 range at best. The comparison I made was likely another OLB that fails to live up to lofty 1st rounder expectations IMHO. Again...I hope I'm wrong, but I personally feel there is more hype to him than potential to be the complete badass we need. I hope I'm wrong, but have to wait and see if JJ 2.0 rears its head or the badass we so desperately need.

he's all potential, two years playing OLB and already filled the stat sheet in his final season. Excellent workout numbers, good awareness in pass protection, great usage of hands for a young player. What is it that you don't like? that his brother is famous?

FordFairLane

Reaction score

I don't like the comparison to JJ as he and TJ play totally different positions. But for freakish athletic JJ was athletic but not Clowney or Julius Peppers freakish athletic. I think the same can be said for TJ as he is a very good athlete but not a Javon Kearse freak of nature. But the comparison I will make with TJ and JJ is they both have a non-stop motor and hustle. Those things you can't teach. I will give Jarvis Jones one thing is he did have a good motor. He just had almost no athletic ability.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like the comparison to JJ as he and TJ play totally different positions. But for freakish athletic JJ was athletic but not Clowney or Julius Peppers freakish athletic. I think the same can be said for TJ as he is a very good athlete but not a Javon Kearse freak of nature. But the comparison I will make with TJ and JJ is they both have a non-stop motor and hustle. Those things you can't teach. I will give Jarvis Jones one thing is he did have a good motor. He just had almost no athletic ability.

When he said JJ he meant 1st round bust Jarvis Jones, not all pro JJ Watt

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Hopefully its Watt.

I think Connor is a great guy and can not say I am unhappy we drafted him however I am not totally sold his game.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
he's all potential, two years playing OLB and already filled the stat sheet in his final season. Excellent workout numbers, good awareness in pass protection, great usage of hands for a young player. What is it that you don't like? that his brother is famous?

What I personally don't like is that I think his brother inflated his stock. To me he seems like a 2nd-3rd rounder. I just have a bad feeling we over drafted an OLB again and spent another first rounder on a player with marginal NFL talent. Hope I'm wrong, maybe that's just the bad taste of Jarvis lingering with me causing my aprehension...I just don't see badass when I see him. Really rooting for the kid to prove me wrong.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
- Watt as he will likely play both OLB and in the nickel possibly line up at MLB next to Shazier or they might in certain overload packages move shazier to lolb to come off the edge with Dupree on a double loop.
- I think JUJU sends Hamilton back to the PS and Ayers should be considered as a KR, I think 6 WR dress brown bryant Rogers Coates Schister will possibly ee some action lined up asa te in the redzone.
- Sutton will have to overtake Sansabuaugh and Gay he likely only plays in dime situations.
- Conner I see 5-8 carries both as a tailback and fullback

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
What I personally don't like is that I think his brother inflated his stock. To me he seems like a 2nd-3rd rounder. I just have a bad feeling we over drafted an OLB again and spent another first rounder on a player with marginal NFL talent. Hope I'm wrong, maybe that's just the bad taste of Jarvis lingering with me causing my aprehension...I just don't see badass when I see him. Really rooting for the kid to prove me wrong.

I think TJ was drafted about right in the late first or early second.

He does not have the ideal power/speed combination of his brother, which is why he slipped, but it's nowhere near as pathetic as that of Jarvis Jones.

TJ has a very high floor, IMO. The worst case is the Steelers get another Paul Krueger caliber edge player, who was very solid for the Ravens for many years

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
He may have a high floor, he may already be at his ceiling, he may get popped for PEDs, way too early too tell anything at this stage of his career...to say worst case scenario is Kruger is wishful thinking though, I can see many worse scenarios than him being another Kruger playing out. Until 3-4 years in none of us has a clue, just stated my opinion and it doesn't matter if 50-100 people jump on his bus and tell me how great he will be. When I see it on the field as a pro, then I will believe the hype... And as I said it could be just the lingering taste of Uncle Jarvis, but something doesn't feel right to me.

Have I been wrong about players before? Hell yeah. Will I be wrong in the future, again hell yeah! I do seem to project accurately more often than not by a pretty decent margin when gauging prospects with our team though- and hope I'm wrong about him, time will tell.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Taking PEDs and injuries out of the equation. I do believe you have a high floor with Watt. The kid lives football. His measureables are good enough. He is going to eat, sleep,live this **** till he is good. Great is tough to predict. Never say that from a rookie. He will be good to very good in my opinion.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
He's better than Jarvis. That's all I care about. We upgraded the ROLB position.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it will it will be Watt because it's a position of need, as others have said, so he will have more of an opportunity to prove himself than the others.

He does appear to have the right attitude toward the game, along with Conner and Juju. Got to feel good about that.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
He may have a high floor, he may already be at his ceiling, he may get popped for PEDs, way too early too tell anything at this stage of his career...to say worst case scenario is Kruger is wishful thinking though, I can see many worse scenarios than him being another Kruger playing out. Until 3-4 years in none of us has a clue, just stated my opinion and it doesn't matter if 50-100 people jump on his bus and tell me how great he will be. When I see it on the field as a pro, then I will believe the hype... And as I said it could be just the lingering taste of Uncle Jarvis, but something doesn't feel right to me.

Have I been wrong about players before? Hell yeah. Will I be wrong in the future, again hell yeah! I do seem to project accurately more often than not by a pretty decent margin when gauging prospects with our team though- and hope I'm wrong about him, time will tell.

Hey, this board is about opinions, and I respect yours.

I personally hated the Leveon Bell draft pick and will be eating crow on that one pretty much forever.

The bottom line is that it's extremely difficult to project college football talent to the pros.

I just do not like the Watt/Jarvis comparisons. Watt has the tools to succeed, while Jarvis never had a chance.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I hope all of them make a big impact.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'd come out on early downs I formation. Conner at fullback. Juice at Tailback. Juju slot. AB and Bryant at wide. If they go big I'd motion Juice out and go 4 wide. If they stay small I'd run split dives and leads up their *** all day long.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Hey, this board is about opinions, and I respect yours.

I personally hated the Leveon Bell draft pick and will be eating crow on that one pretty much forever.

The bottom line is that it's extremely difficult to project college football talent to the pros.

I just do not like the Watt/Jarvis comparisons. Watt has the tools to succeed, while Jarvis never had a chance.

I respect yours as well, and quite frankly hope you're right and I'm wrong on this one....I would love to be sitting down to a big plate full of crow in a few years as I value Steeler success far more than my rookie projections. Watt does have some physical tools JJ never dreamt of, true...it must just be the lingering taste of Jarvis hanging around causing this doubt of Watt for me (at least I hope that is all it is). Something just doesn't feel right about him to me, can't quite put my finger on it...maybe it's just the long line of previous early draft picks we've spent on OLBs that have just completely sucked. Hopefully DuPree was the turning point and Watt begins a streak of us actually being able to draft OLBs.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I'd rather see a thread like this during the pre-season when they are playing with pads.

In the NFL the transition, mentally spelling is often the biggest obstacle.

Watt seems to be a quick study and hard worker. I think he will have a fine rookie year.