• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What if the NFL had a NHL type expansion draft. What 10 Steelers would you protect?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Alex Kozora‏
@Alex_Kozora
Follow
More
Which 10 Steelers Players Would You Protect From An Expansion Draft? -

As a Penguin fan (second to my love for the Steelers) I hated to see Fleury sent off to Vegas.But it is interesting to think about if the Steelers had to protect ten players, which ten would you not allow to be exposed to a expansion draft ? ?

For me it is these ten players.

1 Big Ben - he is the straw that stirs the drink.
2 Bell - I think he is the best all around RB in the league.
3 Antonio Brown - I wouldn't break up the killer bees.
4 Cam Heyward - the injury gave me pause, but not enough to expose him.
5 Bud Dupree - I couldn't afford to let this young developing pass rusher fly the coop.
6. Sean Davis - I think his level of play will continue to improve.
7 Pouncey - Protecting Big Ben is a must, plus he opens things up in the run game.
8 Alejandro Villanueva - He continues to improve,.And I think we will continue to witness that improvement.
9 Gilbert I think he is one of the best RT's in the league
10 TJ Watt - I know this is based on just potential, but I think he will surprise a few before it is all said and done. Plus a 1 2 punch OLBing tandem can help mask some coverage weaknesses.

bmoritz

Reaction score
Your list is pretty good, but you gotta have Shazier protected. I'd take him over Pouncey. I'd also take Tuitt over Gilbert.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Well with the cap it becomes a bit harder. Do you protect a very expensive veteran like say Poucney who's missed a lot of time? What about Bryant?

My 10:

Ben
Bell
Brown
Gilbert
DeCastro
Heyward
Shazier
Dupree
Burns
Bryant

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben
AB
Bell
Gilbert
DeCastrio
Dupree
TJ
Shazier
Burns
Davis

Yoiiikkkeeess !!!!!!

PS. NHL roster is 23 I think. If you look at this proportionately, I'd think we should get to protect
double (20) or if technical about it 19 15/16s players.

Salute the nation

Last edited:

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
You wouldn't have to protect the players still under the rookie contracts, if the NFL would do it like the NHL. TJ and Burns would be protected. Connor McDavid didn't have to be protected, just a fyi.

GRBman

Reaction score
...and with the NFL, you'd get to protect more like 20-25 instead of 10...but a good exercise anyway

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming all rookies would be protected because it would be asinine to have the draft prior to the expansion draft.

Ben
Brown
Bell
Burns
Davis
Shazier
Heyward
Tuitt
Pouncey
Decastro

If they only were allowed to select one they would probably target Gilbert from us.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
In 2002, each team had to allow 5 players to be exposed, which probably wouldn't make for a good discussion. Assuming players on their rookie contracts (I'm assuming restricted/exclusive players on on this list) are protected already (huge help for this roster), here's my 10:

1. Roethlisberger-Age doesn't matter. Any franchise exposed would immediately be selected and if he was, the Steelers would be in a bad way.
2. Heyward-I protect one of my best defensive players and leader.
3. Gilbert-I believe he is one of the best offensive tackles in the league and you don't let an asset like that get away
4. Brown-One of the top receivers in the game.
5. Bell-Just missed out on him playing on his rookie deal. He is arguably the most dynamic offensive weapon in the league.
6. DeCastro-The Steelers invested a lot to protect their quarterback. You don't want to rebuild the offensive line.
7. Pouncey-See above.
8. Foster-See above.
9. Mitchell-You could expose him if you wanted to dump salary, but who replaces him? He's solid.
10. Harrison-I know he's old, but he has value in the locker room and an expansion team may feel the same.

Again, with rookie contracts protected, the Steelers wouldn't be in position to lose a single key starter.

If it was rookies only, here's my changes:

7. Tuitt
8. Shazier
9. Davis
10. Burns
*Note: I expose Pouncey over DeCastro because with his price tag and injury history an expansion team may avoid selecting him.

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think rookies are eligible in an expansion draft. Also for the NHL, it worked out to half of their team could be protected. So to be apples to apples, you'd get to protect 27 players. So you really only have depth being poachable. Just like in the NHL.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
You would have more than 10. You could build one hell of a team at least on paper only protecting 10 per team.

IronMike52

Reaction score
1. Roethlisberger
2. Brown
3. Bell
4. Pouncey
5. Gilbert
6. DeCastro
7. Heyward
8. Shazier
9. Burns
10. Davis

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
In 2002, each team had to allow 5 players to be exposed, which probably wouldn't make for a good discussion. Assuming players on their rookie contracts (I'm assuming restricted/exclusive players on on this list) are protected already (huge help for this roster), here's my 10:

1. Roethlisberger-Age doesn't matter. Any franchise exposed would immediately be selected and if he was, the Steelers would be in a bad way.
2. Heyward-I protect one of my best defensive players and leader.
3. Gilbert-I believe he is one of the best offensive tackles in the league and you don't let an asset like that get away
4. Brown-One of the top receivers in the game.
5. Bell-Just missed out on him playing on his rookie deal. He is arguably the most dynamic offensive weapon in the league.
6. DeCastro-The Steelers invested a lot to protect their quarterback. You don't want to rebuild the offensive line.
7. Pouncey-See above.
8. Foster-See above.
9. Mitchell-You could expose him if you wanted to dump salary, but who replaces him? He's solid.
10. Harrison-I know he's old, but he has value in the locker room and an expansion team may feel the same.

Again, with rookie contracts protected, the Steelers wouldn't be in position to lose a single key starter.

If it was rookies only, here's my changes:

7. Tuitt
8. Shazier
9. Davis
10. Burns
*Note: I expose Pouncey over DeCastro because with his price tag and injury history an expansion team may avoid selecting him.

Foster? Not a chance

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Landry Jones
Tyson Alualu
Jordan Berry
Chris Boswell
Knile Davis
LJ Fort
David Johnson
Daniel McCullers
Arthur Moats
LT Walton

and we'd still kick the Browns' *****

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Landry Jones
Tyson Alualu
Jordan Berry
Chris Boswell
Knile Davis
LJ Fort
David Johnson
Daniel McCullers
Arthur Moats
LT Walton

and we'd still kick the Browns' *****

One thing about yaz Supe, you're always dreaming big......... using Browns & ***** in the same sentence. You're right though we would kick em

Salute the nation