• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What criticized Steelers player does the most to prove his haters wrong this season?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Going off of the top ten fan opinions, as far as I can tell…
Option 1 Dan Moore- He is about to start his third year, and many oline guys have a big jump around that time. How long can he stave off the massively talented Broderick Jones? And if he does get replaced before or during the season, can he wrest the RT position away from Chuks
Option 2 Chuks Okafor- if we had drafted a RT instead of a LT , he would be the guy on the chopping block… can he show he is worth that big price tag before next season when he is really cuttable?
Option 3 Kendrick Green- guy is probably getting cut… but as the top C backup he will have every chance to show he does belong in the nfl despite what many of us say.
Option 4 Dionte Johnson- We love to hate on Wrs not named Hines Ward. His concentration lapses do take away from his talent, but he is a common irate fan target
Option 5 Najeh Harris- He had some pretty inspired games down the stretch, but his critics are as common as his fans.
Option 6 Kenny Pickett- there is a significant portion of fans who still quietly opine that he isn’t the answer ( and they can tell after one rookie season..lol)
Option 7 Alex Highsmith- people chirp about him being solely a byproduct of Watt… that will undoubtedly get louder if he signs a huge extension.
Option 8 Presley Harvin 3 - the erratic Punter faces a real competition in camp this year… a lot of fans expect him to lose it…
Option 9 Chris Boswell- he had a bad season but is getting big dollars now… can he show he is worth it again?
Option 10 Calvin Austin 3- his injury last year has raised a lot of concerns that he is just an offensive version of Senquez Golson.. is he the electric playmaker he looks to be in practice or just a injury prone nothingburger?

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Good post. I think you can add Matt Canada to this.
Alsoike Tomlin, in that we seem to have had a big change in the gen mgr. Dealings. Can we also expect changes in usage, and who we keep. Tired of hanging on to high draft picks who aren't panning out.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
1. Najee Harris - He's only averaged at least 4.0 YPC in a game 12 times in 35 games played and gets more excuses than anyone on the team. He doesn't do a good job creating his own yards and is not a big-play threat, with only 7 carries of 20+ yards in two years. They bolstered the offensive line over the past two years and there is a clear focus on a power running game entering the season. Everything is in place for a big year for Harris (1,200+ yards, 4.5 YPC, 10+ TDs).

2. Diontae Johnson - Johnson is a unique player. He has tremendous talent and he'd be much better in different systems around the league, however, he also isn't in the elite category where he creates his own YAC or can overcome the poor scheme. I expect him to be back to his usual 5-8 TD range and around 1,000 yards receiving.

3. Dan Moore - It's year three for Moore. This is when guys are expected to make the leap into who they will be as a player. He shows flashes of quality play, but has to decrease the lapses. I still think Moore at RT and Jones at RT is what the Steelers hope to have moving forward.

DesertSteel

Registered
Reaction score
If Najee can't get 4 YPC with the upgrades made, he needs to be waived before 2024.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
i
Going off of the top ten fan opinions, as far as I can tell…
Option 1 Dan Moore- He is about to start his third year, and many oline guys have a big jump around that time. How long can he stave off the massively talented Broderick Jones? And if he does get replaced before or during the season, can he wrest the RT position away from Chuks
Option 2 Chuks Okafor- if we had drafted a RT instead of a LT , he would be the guy on the chopping block… can he show he is worth that big price tag before next season when he is really cuttable?
Option 3 Kendrick Green- guy is probably getting cut… but as the top C backup he will have every chance to show he does belong in the nfl despite what many of us say.
Option 4 Dionte Johnson- We love to hate on Wrs not named Hines Ward. His concentration lapses do take away from his talent, but he is a common irate fan target
Option 5 Najeh Harris- He had some pretty inspired games down the stretch, but his critics are as common as his fans.
Option 6 Kenny Pickett- there is a significant portion of fans who still quietly opine that he isn’t the answer ( and they can tell after one rookie season..lol)
Option 7 Alex Highsmith- people chirp about him being solely a byproduct of Watt… that will undoubtedly get louder if he signs a huge extension.
Option 8 Presley Harvin 3 - the erratic Punter faces a real competition in camp this year… a lot of fans expect him to lose it…
Option 9 Chris Boswell- he had a bad season but is getting big dollars now… can he show he is worth it again?
Option 10 Calvin Austin 3- his injury last year has raised a lot of concerns that he is just an offensive version of Senquez Golson.. is he the electric playmaker he looks to be in practice or just a injury prone nothingburger?
I think Highsmith shouldn't be here

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
1. Najee Harris - He's only averaged at least 4.0 YPC in a game 12 times in 35 games played and gets more excuses than anyone on the team. He doesn't do a good job creating his own yards and is not a big-play threat, with only 7 carries of 20+ yards in two years. They bolstered the offensive line over the past two years and there is a clear focus on a power running game entering the season. Everything is in place for a big year for Harris (1,200+ yards, 4.5 YPC, 10+ TDs).

2. Diontae Johnson - Johnson is a unique player. He has tremendous talent and he'd be much better in different systems around the league, however, he also isn't in the elite category where he creates his own YAC or can overcome the poor scheme. I expect him to be back to his usual 5-8 TD range and around 1,000 yards receiving.

3. Dan Moore - It's year three for Moore. This is when guys are expected to make the leap into who they will be as a player. He shows flashes of quality play, but has to decrease the lapses. I still think Moore at RT and Jones at RT is what the Steelers hope to have moving forward.
Good post madinsomniac.

I would list the same top 3 as SteelerFan, but different order.
1. Moore - Made big strides last year.
2. Johnson - I’d like to see more YAC and of course TDs. I’m tired of the 10 years route coming back 6 years to the ball. It would be nice to see vertical (upfield) and lateral separation.
3. Harris - I actually have a lot of faith in Najee, but he no doubt has to bring it this year.

I wouldn’t even put K Green on the list because I couldn’t care less if he makes the team or not.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Good post madinsomniac.

I would list the same top 3 as SteelerFan, but different order.
1. Moore - Made big strides last year.
2. Johnson - I’d like to see more YAC and of course TDs. I’m tired of the 10 years route coming back 6 years to the ball. It would be nice to see vertical (upfield) and lateral separation.
3. Harris - I actually have a lot of faith in Najee, but he no doubt has to bring it this year.

I wouldn’t even put K Green on the list because I couldn’t care less if he makes the team or not.

If Johnson can actually manipulate time as you say, then he will have the BIGGEST break out season ever…… !!!

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I think you are pretty spot on with most of what you said. For Najee though, I think he has created the majority of his yards. On easily half and maybe 2/3 of his runs, he was greeted in the backfield by defenders as soon as he was handed the ball. Let him get moving now with an above-average OL and I almost guarantee he will average over 4 YPC. I think this year, even with fewer touches due to Warren, he will have easily over 1,500 yards from scrimmage. If they don't wait until the last third of the season (like last year) to use him in the passing game, he could easily have 1,800 yards from scrimmage this year as he did as a rookie but with fewer touches.

I think Jones will be the LT sooner than later and I think Moore (if he can learn the position), takes over at RT. They may not give him that opportunity this year since they overpaid for Chuks but I easily see him at RT next year and Chuks via trade or cut. Moore was better than Chuks at LT as a rookie and I see no reason he can't surpass him at RT as well.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Wait until he signs that extension and all the quiet venom people are illogically saying starts bubbling out…

He is a quality guy with or without Watt…
Maybe, but his stats say he is a product of having TJ Watt on the opposite side. Of his 14.5 sacks last season, only 3.5 came when watt was out of the lineup injured.

He’s a good player for sure, but he’s not worth what he’s going to want.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering why Harvin was so far down the list until I realized this is a vote on whether or not they'll have a breakout season - he probably shouldn't be on the list at all.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe, but his stats say he is a product of having TJ Watt on the opposite side. Of his 14.5 sacks last season, only 3.5 came when watt was out of the lineup injured.

He’s a good player for sure, but he’s not worth what he’s going to want.
Very true. When Watt and Heyward are in the game getting double teams, Highsmith gets to run free. I'd be offering him in the $12 to 14 million range and not the $16 to 18 (or even closer to what Watt got - this one made me laugh) million many say he is worth or should get.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Very true. When Watt and Heyward are in the game getting double teams, Highsmith gets to run free. I'd be offering him in the $12 to 14 million range and not the $16 to 18 (or even closer to what Watt got - this one made me laugh) million many say he is worth or should get.
It would be great to see a team friendly number like $14M/yr with some incentives that Highsmith could achieve that could escalate the last couple years; he could get paid his "market" value for performing at that level in the next couple years.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think you are pretty spot on with most of what you said. For Najee though, I think he has created the majority of his yards. On easily half and maybe 2/3 of his runs, he was greeted in the backfield by defenders as soon as he was handed the ball. Let him get moving now with an above-average OL and I almost guarantee he will average over 4 YPC. I think this year, even with fewer touches due to Warren, he will have easily over 1,500 yards from scrimmage. If they don't wait until the last third of the season (like last year) to use him in the passing game, he could easily have 1,800 yards from scrimmage this year as he did as a rookie but with fewer touches.

I think Jones will be the LT sooner than later and I think Moore (if he can learn the position), takes over at RT. They may not give him that opportunity this year since they overpaid for Chuks but I easily see him at RT next year and Chuks via trade or cut. Moore was better than Chuks at LT as a rookie and I see no reason he can't surpass him at RT as well.
I posted some of the Next Generation Stats on Najee in the other thread and it refutes that he creates his own yards. He's just an average starting running back through two years with the inability to hit on big plays. It is what it is and hopefully a better line will help him create more.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
I posted some of the Next Generation Stats on Najee in the other thread and it refutes that he creates his own yards. He's just an average starting running back through two years with the inability to hit on big plays. It is what it is and hopefully a better line will help him create more.
Hoping the left side makes a difference. Tired of watching other teams around the league open holes a semi could drive through.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you mean criticized on this board? Hands down Harris.
He finally has a light NFL Line.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Pickett.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
1) I’d put Najee and KP towards the top

Former firsts have to start showing something besides being almost average-subpar if this team actually has a foundation to build on

2) DJ needs to prove he knows where the EZ is as well

3) Everyone on the OL must continue to progress…as investments are finally being made there the last 2 seasons improvements are now expected to go along with said investments

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Let’s talk about Heyward’s production without Watt as well.