• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

We seem to be so worried about our offense, but what about our defense?

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I think our offense will be fine, I'm more worried about our defense stopping NE's offense. They throw alot to the RB's, run a **** load of ****** rub routes, and all short quick routes. We can't play zone to often, and we have to get pressure and hit him Brady often, if we have to blitz a bit more, so be it, rushing 3 and giving him all day to stand there isn't going to work very often.

I think our defense vs their offense is where the game will be won or lost, more so than our offense vs their defense.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
They dink and dunk and occasionally take a shot down field. There's a lot of film on how to stop the passing game. Of course executing that game plan defensively is easier said than done. I believe we need to stop the run first and make them one dimensional. I know we had a different set of players on defense during our regular season game against them. They ran very well against us. If we can limit the run and then pin our ears back on Brady we can hit him and force mistakes. We've gotta get in the lanes and limit those crossing/slant patterns Edelman and company have burnt us with in the past. I think the personnel is there to execute, they've just gotta take care of business.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Looking at their offense it's a lot of quick timing routes. Endleman eats up the slants, Lewis and White eat up quick passes in the flat, Bennett eats up the middle in finding soft spots in the zone. We need to jump quick routes and not miss tackles.

ark steel

Reaction score
tackle well and they can be stopped

Reactions: MTC

mdk2

Reaction score
Looking at their offense it's a lot of quick timing routes. Endleman eats up the slants, Lewis and White eat up quick passes in the flat, Bennett eats up the middle in finding soft spots in the zone. We need to jump quick routes and not miss tackles.

This is the key. How do you throw off their timing? We need to play tight and jam their little WRs, don't let them get a free release off the line. This throws off the timing and it also allows for time to get pressure. Definitely easier said than done but it can be done.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I think we have to play man coverage, which is not our deal, instead of zone, which is our deal. That's how we beat them in 2011. Blitzing won't work because Br*dy will pick you apart over the middle even when you're not blitzing. Rush the front 3 plus Deebo, sometimes Timmdong, and leave the faster Shazier and Dupree back to cover the middle. DB's will have to be on their game.

Best defense against the Pats**** is a good offense. If we're lucky we can run Bell a lot, make first downs and chew clock and keep the ball out of Br*dy's hands. Win the TOP battle.

Slash#10

Reaction score
Will Justin Gilbert be utilized to man up on Edelman? Does he have the athletic ability and discipline to take on that assignment? Is he an asset in that regard?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Steeler Nation mobile app

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The key is stopping Edleman. As much as I hate the cheats, the guy has a knack for getting open and gaining some yardage after. The front 7 can stop the run. It's all about pressuring and hitting marsha

mdk2

Reaction score
Will Justin Gilbert be utilized to man up on Edelman? Does he have the athletic ability and discipline to take on that assignment? Is he an asset in that regard?

I think if Gilbert is used in any aspect, it will be on Bennett or one of their tight ends. I don't think we'll see him though.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
They'll spread us out and run from that formation, we can't go 2DL only vs them, they'll kill us on the ground.

Slash#10

Reaction score
I think if Gilbert is used in any aspect, it will be on Bennett or one of their tight ends. I don't think we'll see him though.
Makes sense. Tomlin said in presser that he isn't saving bullets. I know he was responding to personnel on KO and KR teams, but I'm sure he is open minded to same philosophy on defense.

I can't image we'll stick with Cover 3 throughout the game. Cover 2

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Gilbert will be used to catch the kick off and summarily kneel and to keep the bench warm for William Gay.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME: STEELERS VS. PATRIOTS - NEWS, UPDATES AND HEADLINES
Steelers defense leading the way — and leading the league in the postseason
One team is leading every major, defensive category during these NFL playoffs. Guess who?
by Mike Frazer@MPFrazer Jan 19, 2017, 6:00am EST
TWEET

PIN

REC

Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports
There’s a new sheriff in town.

The Steelers’ defense, not the offense, is leading the way through the playoffs right now, and they’re doing it better than they did even at their highest point of the regular season.

In fact, it’s not even accurate to think of this defense as the new sheriff in town. We should be calling them the U.S. Marshals because they are, in fact, leading the league in the postseason in just about every statistical category.

Total yards? 266 per game—best in the league of 12 teams in the playoffs. Passing yards? 209.5 per game—good for sixth in the league. Rushing yards? 56.5 per game—best in the—well—you get the picture.

All of the offensive yards in the world won’t win you games, as the Steelers nearly found out against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday night. Despite outgaining the Chiefs by 162, the Steelers were one holding penalty (on a two-point conversion attempt) away from allowing the Chiefs to tie the game with less than three minutes to go. It was defense to the rescue again, holding the Chiefs to only 16 points on a day when Pittsburgh’s high-output, high-potential offense managed six scoring drives but scored only 18 points.

That 16-point effort for the defense means they’ve allowed just 28 points in the postseason, or 14 per game. That’s good for—you guessed it—best in the league.

For some perspective, there have been eight playoff games so far. In those eight games, a team has scored at least 28 points six times. Five of the six one-and-done teams in the playoffs — the Lions, Raiders, Dolphins, Cowboys and Giants — gave up at least 26 points in their loss. The lone outlier is the Chiefs, who gave up just enough points to start their off-season after a single playoff game.

Of the teams remaining, only the Packers are averaging more than 20 points surrendered per game. Even that stat is misleading, though, as they held their first opponent, the New York Giants, to only 13 points.

It’s certainly true the Steelers haven’t exactly played a pair of offensive juggernauts. The Dolphins were down to their backup quarterback, and the Chiefs were only the 20th-best offense during the regular season. What is true, however, is that the Steelers’ defense is rising to the occasion regardless of their opponents, and they even excelled in a very hostile environment on Sunday night, shutting down the home team. That’s going to be critical in the upcoming AFC Championship Game, as the Steelers will take on the New England Patriots, the third-best scoring offense during the 2016 regular season. The offense will have to step up, too, because they haven’t exactly done that consistently on the road this season.

But, if they can muster about 24 points, and the defense plays the same lights-out style they have during the first two games of the playoffs, the Steelers might get back to the Super Bowl for the fourth time in quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s career. And they’d do it the same way that they reached the first two of those—riding on the sturdy backs of a smothering defense.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...league-in-the-post-season-analysis-statistics

scstillerfan

Reaction score
To me, Dion Lewis will be the key. I think NE will run often, and try to hit Lewis with quick passes. If the Steelers don't account for Lewis, it will be a long day.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
look for William Gay to make edelman his ***** from early on. Use Timmons as a rusher and let Shazier take care of the middle with Sean Davis

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Our defense actually had decent game in regular season game,. only Gronk and Blount had notable games.
On D in that game Dupree & Davis didn't play, Harrison and Shazier were limited and Burns was just getting his feet wet as a CB.

So for this game you could say we are adding 5 improved players on D and they lost one of their notables.

ark steel

Reaction score
look for William Gay to make edelman his ***** from early on. Use Timmons as a rusher and let Shazier take care of the middle with Sean Davis

Two things that make me sad.. Harrison in coverage instead of laying the smack down on an OL and QB, Timmons chasing the fastest RB on the other team down the field...

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
The Pats are going to score. The object is to score more than them and not just FG's. Well maybe one at he end of the game for the win, that would be exciting. If the Steeler Defense can kep the Brady bunch on the bench while Ben & Co drive up and down the field owning TOP and get in the end zone it could be a great day for the Steelers.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I think the offense needs to set the pace and it has been inconsistent lately. If I remember correctly earlier this year NE scored pretty much at will early on then struggled. Did they call off the dogs or did the defense adjust? The Pats will score and the D just needs to keep it in reach. I feel if the D keeps it around / under 30-35 then the offense must step up. This team is built to score but the defense has been carrying the team a lot lately. All the money / stars is tied up on offense and its time for them to step up and earn their $$.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They'll spread us out and run from that formation, we can't go 2DL only vs them, they'll kill us on the ground.

I don't think so, and here's why. With the two defensive linemen formation, the Steelers have Harrison and Dupree essentially playing defensive end. A defensive line of Harrison,Tuitt, Hargrave and Dupree, together with Timmons and Shazier, as well as Davis and the box, will do just fine stuffing the run. I am really not even concerned about the run. Look it with these defenders have done in the past several games, against some very good running offenses (Buffalo, Miami, Cincinnati, etc.).

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Hopefully, they are alot better than Jones and Chick who I believe started the game vs NE in the regular season.