• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Vince Williams

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Shazier, and Tuitt will be up soon, and I'd rather pay them than Timmons again. Developing and playing young talent on the defense is starting to reap some rewards, but eventually you have to pay the promising talent.

Plus we're talking $15M in cap room for letting Timmy walk. That is HUGE!!!

Were going to have that extra 15 mil of cap space regardless. He's not really even making 15 mil , he's only making 9 mil this season in actual paid money. Its going to come down to whether LT has reasonable contract expections and considering he said he doesn't care about money as he's already been paid big money twice he may just want to stay in the Burgh. He may sign for 3 years 15mil or something. That would save us 10 million from what he cost this year . The cap is going up 20 million this year I believe. We're going to be in good shape for the cap.

PTY Steeler

Reaction score
But he played also one hell of a game of Sunday...I would love to keep him specially since Shazier can't stay healthy

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
How much dead money though?

81, I did mention cap space, and that is what you need to sign players.

Timmons is off the books next year, ZERO dead money. It means that $15M in cap space this year directly translates into $15M of usable money to sign players next year.

81 is right, his salary is just under $9M ($8.75M), though if he is considered a starter, he will be anticipating yearly salary in the $7-9M range, and though I love him as a player, his salary is cost prohibitive to signing other talent and keeping this team competitive. He may give 2-3 more quality years, but he's also going to degrade significantly in his playing ability during that time. This is his 10th season and we are deep at ILB. Timmons IMHO will be a cap casualty next year, not because it saves the Steelers cap space, but because his salary would be cost prohibitive to keep him.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score