• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Two Plays Called by Haly.....WTF???

DocScott

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, We're in the red zone and the call goes in for Antonio Brown to throw and option....after we marched down the field and the Pats were on their heels? Or, how about 3rd and goal from the 5 yard line down 21 - 11 in the fourth quarter and he calls a draw play for Williams....WTF??? One game does not a season make, but Haley better get it together quick.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think sometimes they out-think themselves trying to catch the other team off guard. Certain times they need to just instead, force their will.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Haley heard the little bit of speculation that he was ready to be a HC again. Not wanting to leave the Steelers, he made sure he put a couple of stinker play calls out there while all eyes were on the Steelers/him.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
They got screwed on the "shift" at the goal line on third down from the one. They were clearly running. That said the play calling sucked inside the ten, but always has under Haley. I think the problem is that Ben isn't good at setting matchups too. The Gronk on Garvin (I think) TD would be an example of something Ben is just not capable of.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
The reverse option pass is a real head scratcher. We were driving, had them on their heels . . . I for one don't believe in using trick plays this early in the season, as it puts it on film for the whole league to study. Run plays that set this up instead, and then pull it out the bag second half of the year. Although, to be fair, i believe thats was the same play we scored a 2 pt conversion on last year so maybe there was something from film study/formation that gave it away?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That play was a TERRIBLE call, for the time of in game play. Not only that, but, itwasn't executed very good either. AB telegraphed his pass option right away. He didn't sell the run at all. One more thing, why would you do that in the beginning of a game???? Maybe in a more desperation mode it may have worked, but NOT in the situation it was called. NO need for that play call.

Salute the nation

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
On the draw play which worked several times before that. Decastro stepped the wrong way and left his man unblocked.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
They got screwed on the "shift" at the goal line on third down from the one. They were clearly running. That said the play calling sucked inside the ten, but always has under Haley. I think the problem is that Ben isn't good at setting matchups too. The Gronk on Garvin (I think) TD would be an example of something Ben is just not capable of.

That play call is coming from the sideline. It's designed that way. Show goaline to get the Steelers in their goaline defense. Then motion Gronk wide so a linebacker is one one one. That's called having a guy who is a mismatch problem. Bell is that for us.

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
want the old, force your will down their throat, STEELERS

hate gimmick type bullshit. either do it or dont

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
OK, We're in the red zone and the call goes in for Antonio Brown to throw and option....after we marched down the field and the Pats were on their heels? Or, how about 3rd and goal from the 5 yard line down 21 - 11 in the fourth quarter and he calls a draw play for Williams....WTF??? One game does not a season make, but Haley better get it together quick.

You're new here. All of us would be better OC's than Toddster and could have won state if coach had put us in the 4th quarter back in '82.
Welcome to SN.com.

papillon

Reaction score

Not because of Ben, but because the other defensive coordinator gets the correct personnel on the field for the down and distance. The reason Brady got the match-up he wanted was because the Steelers coaching staff didn't react in time to the offensive package the Pats put on the field. I find it hard to believe that in any situation a special teams linebacker should be on the field in a goal to go scenario, much less covering the best tight end in the game.

Papillon

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Not because of Ben, but because the other defensive coordinator gets the correct personnel on the field for the down and distance. The reason Brady got the match-up he wanted was because the Steelers coaching staff didn't react in time to the offensive package the Pats put on the field. I find it hard to believe that in any situation a special teams linebacker should be on the field in a goal to go scenario, much less covering the best tight end in the game.

Papillon

The Patriots came out in goaline personnel so the Steelers responded with their goaline defense which Garvin is a part of. Has been for awhile. You have to line up in goaline D IMO because if you try to get cute the Patriots will run down your throat. Gronk is a match-up problem so they can motion out of goal line and get a favorable match-up of a linebacker. Like I said we have a similar player in Bell. Teams have to decide who they want to defend Bell when he lines up wide a linebacker or DB.

DocScott

Contributor
Reaction score
You're new here. All of us would be better OC's than Toddster and could have won state if coach had put us in the 4th quarter back in '82.
Welcome to SN.com.

Ron Burgundy, thanks for the welcome but not new here, been on the board one way or another from back in the Diamond Dave period. More of an observer than poster (things change). Just stating my observations and commenting like everyone else. Haley's calls were questionable. Oh, and you got to come better (much earlier) than 82 for me, I've been around!

oicu8ad

Reaction score

I'll take Haley's play calling every day of the week (and 7 times on Sunday) over what we used to endure with Bruce Arians. That's two WFT plays for Haley in one game. With Bruce, there were about 4 of those each drive. Bruce was notorious for the old "they'll never expect this" plays.

oicu8ad

Reaction score

When Gronk split out wide and Garvin went out with him, I was screaming "time out", "time out", "time out". "Call the ******* time out!". Why, WHY, WHY Tomlin, or anyone on the defense didn't call time out is BEYOND me. They NEVER have a problem calling timeout on offense with 10 minutes go to in the 1st quarter, on 2nd and 10, if the play clock is running down, so why not call the timeout to resolve the personnel mismatch?!?

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score

I kinda find this refreshing. after a loss only bitching at 2 plays. no fire Haley posts. we are certainly on a positive posting upswing!

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
When Gronk split out wide and Garvin went out with him, I was screaming "time out", "time out", "time out". "Call the ******* time out!". Why, WHY, WHY Tomlin, or anyone on the defense didn't call time out is BEYOND me. They NEVER have a problem calling timeout on offense with 10 minutes go to in the 1st quarter, on 2nd and 10, if the play clock is running down, so why not call the timeout to resolve the personnel mismatch?!?

What is the timeout going to do. There is no reason to call a timeout. What are you going to change? Go nickle? Against their goaline offense?? They will run. I'd rather they throw. At least there are more chances something can go wrong. A timeout does nothing there.

papillon

Reaction score
The Patriots came out in goaline personnel so the Steelers responded with their goaline defense which Garvin is a part of. Has been for awhile. You have to line up in goaline D IMO because if you try to get cute the Patriots will run down your throat. Gronk is a match-up problem so they can motion out of goal line and get a favorable match-up of a linebacker. Like I said we have a similar player in Bell. Teams have to decide who they want to defend Bell when he lines up wide a linebacker or DB.

It will be interesting to see then if the Steelers ever line up in a jumbo goal line and the split Bell and Heath (or Spaeth) out wide to one side to see if they can isolate a backup linebacker on either player. That's basically what the Pats did with Gronk and their 2nd TE. Actually, they could try Villanueva as the 2nd TE with Heath and split them out wide, Villanueva was a WR in college.

Papillon

oicu8ad

Reaction score
What is the timeout going to do. There is no reason to call a timeout. What are you going to change? Go nickle? Against their goaline offense?? They will run. I'd rather they throw. At least there are more chances something can go wrong. A timeout does nothing there.

It will give you a chance to adjust, substitute if necessary, and get better matchups. That's like saying, what is calling a timeout going to do if you have 10 men on the field. It give you a chance to correct it.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
As mentioned it was Ben who called the draw play. He saw something from the defensive personnel / alignment that made him think the draw would work.

I don't fault Haley for the trick play. It sucks that the Pats were in the right defense and that AB didn't throw the ball away, but play-calling is about probability, not certainly. Haley might have seen a tendency that made him think the Pats would likely be in a susceptible defense --- maybe the fact that the offense was moving the ball easily increased (in Haley's mind) the likelihood that the Pats would be in an aggressive defense.

Of course the natural reaction from a fan is "why go for a trick play when your offense is moving the ball using conventional plays". But to me that's just outcome-based bitching. If the play worked, we'd all be slobbering on Haley's balls. The other side of it is game theory --- it's good to be perceived as someone who is a bit (a lot?) crazy and unpredictable. If the defense believes that Haley could pull out a crazy trick play at any time, rather than only when the offense is basically stalled, the defense will be on its heels more than it would otherwise.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
It will give you a chance to adjust, substitute if necessary, and get better matchups. That's like saying, what is calling a timeout going to do if you have 10 men on the field. It give you a chance to correct it.

And what is your correction???? What is your better match-up? Bring in a corner? Now you have a little *** corner setting the edge of your goaline defense. The patriots will run to that side and Gronk will bury him on the block. There is no need to call a timeout. It's a waste.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see then if the Steelers ever line up in a jumbo goal line and the split Bell and Heath (or Spaeth) out wide to one side to see if they can isolate a backup linebacker on either player. That's basically what the Pats did with Gronk and their 2nd TE. Actually, they could try Villanueva as the 2nd TE with Heath and split them out wide, Villanueva was a WR in college.

Papillon

Heath used to be a player who could draw this type of advantage. Maybe not anymore. Bell could definitely draw this type of mismatch. Maybe not in goaline situations though.

oicu8ad

Reaction score
And what is your correction???? What is your better match-up? Bring in a corner? Now you have a little *** corner setting the edge of your goaline defense. The patriots will run to that side and Gronk will bury him on the block. There is no need to call a timeout. It's a waste.

I would have called the time out, then regrouped, and had Shazier follow him. More than likely, the *pat play would have been different after the time out adjustment. Better to call time out and TRY to adjust, than just continue with a huge mismatch and roll with the TD. I'm just stating my opinion. It looks like you and Tomlin are like minded in this regard, so no biggie. My original point was that they have no problem with burning a timeout on offense when the clock is running down on a non-critical play, so why not burn one at a critical goal line play.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I would have called the time out, then regrouped, and had Shazier follow him. More than likely, the *pat play would have been different after the time out adjustment. Better to call time out and TRY to adjust, than just continue with a huge mismatch and roll with the TD. I'm just stating my opinion. It looks like you and Tomlin are like minded in this regard, so no biggie. My original point was that they have no problem with burning a timeout on offense when the clock is running down on a non-critical play, so why not burn one at a critical goal line play.

What does Tomlin have to do with anything??? And where has Shazier proven he can cover Gronk. And it's still a LB on basically a huge WR. So waste a timeout for basically the same match-up..Shazier speed is going to matter at the goaline? It's a fade pattern. Height is more important then anything. There was nothing to change on the play..but better defense from Garvin. Nothing the coaches can do about the match-up..