• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

True or False

Tomlin will never beat New England during Brady's tenure?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin will never beat the Patriots as long as Brady is their Quarterback and Belicheat is their head coach?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
So we just started losing to them when Mike Tomlin took over?? See this is the dumb **** I be talking about.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

What is his record vs the patriots and why are the games blow outs?

You tell me. It's painfully obvious the team was distracted and under prepared to play this high stakes game.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
They've been taking us to the woodshed long before Tomlin was here.

Didn't the network show Brady was something like 23 touch down passes, 0 interceptions during Tomlins tenure?

WTF. He beats us as if we were the Browns. Easy game for him

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
But you are correct until they stop using any scheme zone heavy or zone blitz related we will continue to lose. Then again the offense gets shut down too everytime.

bornafan

Reaction score
There is no arguing that we have been dominated, consistently.

However, I would like to believe that ***-whooping last night triggers change, not just "greater effort and execution" from the coaches and players.

The looks on the faces of the players and the coaches in the fourth quarter finally mirrored those of their fans.

All I can do is hope...

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Who cares. I don't mind losing to the Pats as long as we come to play. Trotting out our same old same old defensive scheme against Brady was a horrible game plan. And when we couldn't stop him in the first half.....no reason to adjust...you know why? We were only down by a score. Again a horrible game plan on both sides of the ball. Blame Tomlin and start stupid threads about whether he will ever beat so and so. Who cares. As a fan I am just simple tired of us not making a game plan to attack the opposing teams weakness and our lack of adjustments. ****!!!!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
See this is two fold. Doesn't matter that it happened before Tomlin. There is teams that give them a run for their money W or L. And this team doesn't. I don't think Tomlin is a X and O enough type coach to ever get it done.

Doesn't make him a bad coach. He has proven to be a good coach and I will give him that. But we need a great coach. We need one who will manage to get a very talented team home field advantage in the playoffs.

Yeah that matters.

In the Tomlin thread at the very beginning I thought the cat should be fired. And parts of me think we could do better.

But obviously he is here to stay.

So the coaches under him need to be upgraded.

As in Butler . As that D approach will lose when it matters more often than not against great QBs.

And to be in the SB you need to beat great QBs.

So a good head coach needs a better D coach.

And that is as accurate as it comes............

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
But you are correct until they stop using any scheme zone heavy or zone blitz related we will continue to lose. Then again the offense gets shut down too everytime.

We are not running a zone blitz, our main defense is actually almost exactly like the Tampa-2. The difference is, instead of running from a base 4-3 we run it from a base 3-4 and use an OLB as the 4th DL. We then drop into zone coverage with our other LB's and a 2 deep safety over the top...it is identical to the cover-2 or tampa-2 defense. Big surprise that we have switched to this defense since Tomlin has been here since that is pretty much all that he knows and coached previously. The tampa-2 has been figured out for years yet we continue to use it.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
We are not running a zone blitz, our main defense is actually almost exactly like the Tampa-2. The difference is, instead of running from a base 4-3 we run it from a base 3-4 and use an OLB as the 4th DL. We then drop into zone coverage with our other LB's and a 2 deep safety over the top...it is identical to the cover-2 or tampa-2 defense. Big surprise that we have switched to this defense since Tomlin has been here since that is pretty much all that he knows and coached previously. The tampa-2 has been figured out for years yet we continue to use it.
I didn't see Alot of that yesterday looked like our usual zone defense but I could be wrong..really not in the mood to argue today.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Tomlin will never ever be mistaken for a great coach. At best he's an average to pretty good coach with some very explosive weapons at his disposal. Lets sat Ben retired tomorrow, Tomlin would be in deep, deep trouble with an offense that had no leader and a defense although improving desperately needs quality pass rushers and a shutdown corner.

This team although the Rooney's won't oblige, needs a different type of coach than this guy. They need someone who first knows how to build a team from top to bottom. Someone who can command respect from his players, someone who can get the most out of all his players, and someone that isn't so arrogant that he won't learn from his past mistakes. I know Art II won't make any changes since its not the Steeler way but don't expect anything different than what you've seen under this guy. Remember, the standard is the standard. We get it Mikey!

Stlrs4Life

Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin will never ever be mistaken for a great coach. At best he's an average to pretty good coach with some very explosive weapons at his disposal. Lets sat Ben retired tomorrow, Tomlin would be in deep, deep trouble with an offense that had no leader and a defense although improving desperately needs quality pass rushers and a shutdown corner.

This team although the Rooney's won't oblige, needs a different type of coach than this guy. They need someone who first knows how to build a team from top to bottom. Someone who can command respect from his players, someone who can get the most out of all his players, and someone that isn't so arrogant that he won't learn from his past mistakes. I know Art II won't make any changes since its not the Steeler way but don't expect anything different than what you've seen under this guy. Remember, the standard is the standard. We get it Mikey!

Sad but true. I've been a Tomlin defender in the past, no more. Juist wondering who is out there?

mdk2

Reaction score
When Brady is 47 or so, we might have a chance. Ben won't be playing but I think we could keep the game close at least and maybe steal it at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deljzc

Reaction score
Not in the playoffs.

I think we can beat them in the regular season about 1-2 out of 10 times. And maybe that goes up a bit at home and down a bit on the road.

We will play them next year in the regular season.....

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
If they couldn't dig deep and figure out a way to not do the exact same thing that has gotten them killed against this team in the past in the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, then no I can't imagine a scenario in which Tomlin could ever beat that team. He is either too stubborn or too dumb. Hell it may even be both.

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
Players play...coaches coach. That's what I've beem told. It wasn't Tomlin who was 5 yards away from every Patriot WR. LOL

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Players play...coaches coach. That's what I've beem told. It wasn't Tomlin who was 5 yards away from every Patriot WR. LOL

WTF? I can see it being the players fault if there is a blown assignment on a play or two here and there.

But when there are wide open receivers traipsing through the secondary on every single play, yes that IS Tomlin being 5 yards away from every * WR. It IS the scheme. It IS the coaching. It IS the game plan. How can you not see that? We have never been more demonstrably outcoached in a game in my entire lifetime as a Steelers fan. Well maybe the 02 game against them.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
SMH and they weren't blowout under the coach either I guess.

Cowher lost to the pats too over 10 years ago? Oh well, i guess that means you can't criticize Tomlin for it. Not to mention, did you see Alabama lost to Clemson? That's relevant too. I mean if Saban lost to Dabo Sweeny then you can't criticize Tomlin for losing to Belicheck.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Cowher lost to the pats too over 10 years ago? Oh well, i guess that means you can't criticize Tomlin for it. Not to mention, did you see Alabama lost to Clemson? That's relevant too. I mean if Saban lost to Dabo Sweeny then you can't criticize Tomlin for losing to Belicheck.
Meaning they have had our number for a long time now. It didn't begin with Tomlin..

continue to criticize..

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin will never beat anyone to get to the Super Bowl. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll keep getting what you got.