• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trent Richardson - HOF Bound - walk, drive or fly?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...avens-presumably-not-heading-to-hall-of-fame/

Trent Richardson cut by the Ravens, presumably not heading to Hall of Fame
The former No. 3 overall pick's stint in Baltimore lasts just 107 games
by Jared Dubin @jadubin5 17m ago

rent Richardson's time with the Baltimore Ravens has come to an end. The team announced via its official Twitter account on Tuesday that it had released Richardson and signed wide receiver Chuck Jacobs in a corresponding move.

We have waived RB Trent Richardson and signed WR Chuck Jacobs.
— Baltimore Ravens (@Ravens) August 2, 2016

Richardson's time with the Ravens lasted only 107 days. It included one knee surgery and zero games played.

Richardson has gone through a stunning fall from grace since entering the NFL as the No. 3 overall pick in the 2012 draft out of the University of Alabama. He struggled badly (3.5 yards per carry on 295 carries) across his 17 games with the Cleveland Browns before being traded to the Indianapolis Colts for a first-round pick. He somehow fared even worse with the Colts, running for only 3.1 yards per carry (on 316 carries) across 29 games with the team.

He landed with the Oakland Raiders last offseason but was cut before the season started and did not play in 2015. Upon signing with the Ravens in April, Richardson stated that his goal was to make it to the Hall of Fame. That road just got even longer.

Trent.jpg

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
funny how some journalists said that the ravens made a great signing when they got Richardson and that they were improving for this upcoming season...

P

POP

I am stunned he was such a huge flop in the NFL. Coming out of college, he seemed like such a beast. This is a cautionary tale of overrating AL backs.

Mark Ingram is probably the best of the recent AL backs, and even he seems lesser of a RB than I thought he would become. We will see if Lacy drops some LBs and resembles more of what he was as a rookie; last year he ended up sucking from being too fat.

We will see if Henry becomes a good pro.

T.J. Yeldon has a decent rookie year (740 yds, 4.1 apc) but since adding Ivory to their roster, the Jags must not feel that TJ is a stud NFL back. Probably will use a committee type effort at RB this year.

But Richardson.....not even close to ever becoming a decent NFL RB. I have a feeling Henry is gonna make it in the NFL. A 240 lb back with 4.5 speed could make some noise, although he is pretty tall and runs upright, which usually gets backs killed in the NFL.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Well being a RB in that browns offense meant that he would almost always be seeing an 8 man front. No wonder he wouldn't make 4 ypc

P

POP

AL Alabama backs. ?

I know a few from PSU that flopped also. etc.

Never said all. Of course there are bust RBs from other schools.

Blair Thomas. Curtis Enis. Ki-jana Carter. Those all were all turds.

But some dude named Franco turned out OK. Curt Warner was very good.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
The best thing is the Ravens saw he was a bust and cut him. Maybe Tomlin should take note.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Richardson's problem is he played on **** teams. If he was on a good offense like Ingram and Lacy then he probably could have been successful like them despite them also being mediocre RB talents.

Lacy didn't suck last year because he was fat. He sucked because Jordy Nelson got hurt so the passing game had no deep threat and Lacy faced some honest run defenses for the first time.

Saban is the reason for the RB struggles. His job is to win college games, not teach kids what they need for the NFL. As such, i believe he coaches the RBs to just run hard into the hole and get what they get. It works because Bama generally has a very good OL so if you burst through the hole and drag the tackler for a yard or 2 then that's going to be 6 yards right there. I've seen Saban pull guys for negative runs as a result of trying to make a move instead of just hitting the hole.

The result is that the backs don't have great vision. He coached them out of it. Ingram was awful for a few years and finally progressed to average after a few years of NFL coaching. That's why a talented open field runner like Kenyan Drake was barely used by Saban. He'd rather give it to Derrick Henry and watch him plow straight ahead to a mediocre 5.6 yards per carry.

Saban has the same negative affect in Bama's DBs. Again, it's very effective in college and that's his job, but he doesn't even teach his DBs to backpedal. It works at Bama because half the QBs they play **** their pants just seeing the Bama helmets. Then the other half won't throw to a WR if there is a DB within 3 yards. Bama plays in your face and it works against most college QBs.

In the NFL, these DBs get toasted because they can't just press guys and the QB is too scared to throw their way. They don't have the technique to play in the NFL and most of the Bama DBs have been busts because of it.

This isn't something specific to Saban. It used to be that the best football schools taught pro style offense and defense. The kids may not have all had the talent but they had the fundamentals to play at the next level. Over the last decade or so, college has been taken over by supposed "genius" coaches who just strip it down to kindergarten level so the kids can "play fast".

It's making draft evaluation much harder on so many positions. Even on the OL, guys don't execute real blocks, they just kind of get it the way for a second even on run plays. Watch a game from the 80s or 90s and see that OL fire out on a run play. You really don't see that anymore because it takes talent and it's harder to teach. Coaches now just want these kids on the field immediately.

Buster

Reaction score
I thought the Browns were crazy for trading him. I can admit I was wrong.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought the Browns were crazy for trading him. I can admit I was wrong.

That was a rare smart move by the browns. Teams rarely admit they were wrong. They were honest with themselves and traded him while he still had value. Then they fleeced the colts.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Richardson's problem is he played on **** teams. If he was on a good offense like Ingram and Lacy then he probably could have been successful like them despite them also being mediocre RB talents.

Lacy didn't suck last year because he was fat. He sucked because Jordy Nelson got hurt so the passing game had no deep threat and Lacy faced some honest run defenses for the first time.

Saban is the reason for the RB struggles. His job is to win college games, not teach kids what they need for the NFL. As such, i believe he coaches the RBs to just run hard into the hole and get what they get. It works because Bama generally has a very good OL so if you burst through the hole and drag the tackler for a yard or 2 then that's going to be 6 yards right there. I've seen Saban pull guys for negative runs as a result of trying to make a move instead of just hitting the hole.

The result is that the backs don't have great vision. He coached them out of it. Ingram was awful for a few years and finally progressed to average after a few years of NFL coaching. That's why a talented open field runner like Kenyan Drake was barely used by Saban. He'd rather give it to Derrick Henry and watch him plow straight ahead to a mediocre 5.6 yards per carry.

Saban has the same negative affect in Bama's DBs. Again, it's very effective in college and that's his job, but he doesn't even teach his DBs to backpedal. It works at Bama because half the QBs they play **** their pants just seeing the Bama helmets. Then the other half won't throw to a WR if there is a DB within 3 yards. Bama plays in your face and it works against most college QBs.

In the NFL, these DBs get toasted because they can't just press guys and the QB is too scared to throw their way. They don't have the technique to play in the NFL and most of the Bama DBs have been busts because of it.

This isn't something specific to Saban. It used to be that the best football schools taught pro style offense and defense. The kids may not have all had the talent but they had the fundamentals to play at the next level. Over the last decade or so, college has been taken over by supposed "genius" coaches who just strip it down to kindergarten level so the kids can "play fast".

It's making draft evaluation much harder on so many positions. Even on the OL, guys don't execute real blocks, they just kind of get it the way for a second even on run plays. Watch a game from the 80s or 90s and see that OL fire out on a run play. You really don't see that anymore because it takes talent and it's harder to teach. Coaches now just want these kids on the field immediately.

Well said. That can be said for most big college programs. I think the best schools technique and fundamental speaking are lower tier P5 schools. Players coming out of college now have no technique. I saw that with Jarvis his senior season at UGA. Lower tier talent compared to the NFL made Jarvis look better than he is. Bama's backs have always been run into a brick wall type and look at them now. With the shortened practices in the CBA, players have a lot of catching up to do. The big name guys all have one thing in common and that is technique, smart off season training and proper rest. Always was intrigued to see small school guys being the norm in the NFL. Good post

RollRed

Reaction score
I think it comes down to Alabamas O line. They make backs look better than they really are....

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Cut the guy a break.

He started out his pro career in the factory of sadness. Look what they did to Johnny Manziel.

P

POP

Well being a RB in that browns offense meant that he would almost always be seeing an 8 man front. No wonder he wouldn't make 4 ypc

Yea, but he has flopped with 3 other teams (Colts, Raiders, Ravens), each one ditching him faster than the last. Usually you can blame the Browns for player FAILS, but not this time.

P

POP

I think it comes down to Alabamas O line. They make backs look better than they really are....

True. But they are typically loaded every where. The D also allows the backs to succeed, as they are usually ahead and can just pound the rock, giving backs more carries.

Any how, all that being said, I wouldn't mind them having him in for a visit. With Bell out 4 games and that making our main go to back 33 years old, and a history of getting hurt, I would be more comfortable bringing another back in - someone with more than 4 carries in his college career. I think being around this team, Richardson may learn the art of being patient with his runs, as D Will seemed to learn from Bell. It's possible he could finally find a match here. It wouldn't hurt to have him come in and see what's up with him.

Last edited:

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
It was insane for the Browns to draft any RB that high. You don't draft a RB with a first round pick when your team sucks. Even if Richardson turned out to be great, so what. A RBs prime years are usually year 2- 7 approximately. He probably would have been half used up by the time they built a good team around him.

Dallas made a mistake drafting Elliott. He's good but they have too many holes on defense. They could have had a stud defender at that pick, rebuilt the defense then signed a free agent RB.