• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trade article (it's the offseason)

FordFairLane

Reaction score
http://www.12up.com/posts/4994093-t...could-fix-holes-for-the-steelers-and-panthers

Long and short trade Sammie Coates for safety help. Sorry, but the back up safeties for the Panthers aren't really floating my boat. But with AB, Bryant, JuJu, Rogers, Ayers, Hunter, and DHB... Coates is fighting an uphill battle. I feel Coates might beat out DHB because of special teams value is nearly equal for both but Coates has a higher ceiling when it comes to long term potential. But if he ends up being the 5th or 6th receiver on the roster why not trade him for a 4th or 5th and just keep DHB.

I guess bring him into camp and see if he has made strides catching but if he doesn't look better hanging on to the ball I would be all for trading him and seeing if we can get anything in return.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't imagine right now Coates would be looking favorably in a trade scenario.

Besides moving Davis to CB as was written as a suggestion, really makes no sense. As he looked like the best fit at SS.

If the Steelers trade for a S let it be for a FS, as we could use some depth there.

Last edited:

ZACKB

Reaction score
let he Jets cut Calvin Pryor...then jump on him.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't imagine right now Coates would be looking favorably in a trade scenario.

Besides moving Davis to CB as was written as a suggestion, really makes no sense. As he looked like the best fit at SS.

If the Steelers trade for a S let it be for a FS, as we could use some depth there.

The only trade value I can see is a team coveting his productivity in the first month last year before injury. He did have good qualities and production before he was hurt. A trading partner can chalk up the rest of the year, to that injury, and see him valued higher than what he may be.

Think of it the same way as these backup QBs that get traded for Rd 1 trades, just because they had a good game or 2 in relief of a HOF caliber QB. They aren't worth a #1, but some QB starved teams think they are.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Considering injuries I wouldn't give up on him until at least halfway through pre season and at that point everyone would know he is a stiff. Sometimes you just have to live with it.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
With Bryant & JuJu now in the mix, Coates is expendable in a trade senerio. Don't get rid of him just to get rid of him but if the value trade is there, take it.

Salute the nation .

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
There will be some cuts coming in June/July, we have some money to get a veteran FA when they hit the market.

ark steel

Reaction score
With what happened with injuries last year, I don't know why anyone would want to get rid of any WR before the season starts. Especially, one that showed so much promise before an injury.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Coates would have to be having a great pre-season to be any kind of trade bait. Right now, he wouldn't even get a late round pick. If he's still having issues catching the ball or getting open, he will just be cut.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Coates would have to be having a great pre-season to be any kind of trade bait. Right now, he wouldn't even get a late round pick. If he's still having issues catching the ball or getting open, he will just be cut.

Your right, he may end up being cut but I would venture to say that the FO lays feelers out of a trade before outright cut. They would be stupid not to, weather he plays good or bad, someone will make a call out.

Salute the nation