• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Top 10 stupidest Top Ten lists

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Saw one today. Top 10 home run threats. Sammie Coates was number 10. He will likely be out of work on week 1.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Saw one today. Top 10 home run threats. Sammie Coates was number 10. He will likely be out of work on week 1.

Did they have Bryant listed?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Some of those top 10s are absolutely ridiculous. Most times you wonder who the ****.........wrote this piece of **** article. I read one onetime on linebackers and both Ham and Lambert just got honorable mentions.

Salute the nation

ark steel

Reaction score
through game 5 last year, he had a 40+ yard reception in every game. In game 2, he had 2 receptions for 40+ yards. Through game 5, he had 20 reception yards less than Brown with about 1/2 of the # of receptions.

I wonder if something happened in game 5 or 6 to change things?

ark steel

Reaction score
List of NFL WR's with more 40+ yards receptions than Sammy Coates in the 2016 Season:

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
real home run hitters don't have alligator arms

yeah he did well early, but how many of those over 40 yard catches in the first 5 games were TDs??? 2 and they were both in game 5....

he needs to show he is the first half guy and not the scared ball dropper from the second half.....

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
through game 5 last year, he had a 40+ yard reception in every game. In game 2, he had 2 receptions for 40+ yards. Through game 5, he had 20 reception yards less than Brown with about 1/2 of the # of receptions.

I wonder if something happened in game 5 or 6 to change things?

Yeah. He wasn't that good and it caught up. He was hurt. I get that. He also doesn't accelerate to the ball well. Has overall suspect hands and really doesn't fight for the jump ball. I know I was excited too. And it is too early to give up. But my guess is that he is less than 50 percent to make the club. Top ten anything other than drop off. Cmon.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
here is the link.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2710890-ranking-the-nfls-best-home-run-threats

10. Sammie Coates, Wide Receiver, Pittsburgh Steelers

Don Wright/Associated Press

Sammie Coates started the 2016 season by catching a 40-plus-yard pass every week for five straight weeks.

He broke free for 42 yards against Washington in the season opener. He doubled down in the rain in Week 2 against the Bengals: 44 yards on a stop-and-go route and 53 more yards on a bomb up the right sideline. He torched an Eagles cornerback for a 41-yard basket catch along the sideline in Week 3, then burned Marcus Peters for 47 yards against the Chiefs in Week 4. Finally, Coates outran the lowly Jets secondary with a too-easy 72-yard bomb in Week 5.

But Coates suffered a hand injury that caused him to drop several passes in the Jets game. He remained on the Steelers weekly roster but was limited to decoy status for the rest of the season. Opponents weren't fooled; the cast on Coates' hand was a giveaway.

Coates' hand remains a source of mystery, with conflicting reports about whether he underwent surgery on his fingers in the offseason. The return of Martavis Bryant and the drafting of Juju Smith-Schuster crowds the Steelers receiving corps. There may not enough deep shots to go around in Pittsburgh, especially since Antonio Brown must get fed before the others can eat.

But when Coates is healthy, he eats up the cornerback's cushion and gets separation on vertical routes like few other receivers in the league.

Coates is a boom-or-bust home run threat, like Ted Ginn, Cordarrelle Patterson and others who did not make the countdown. He makes the cut because, despite the drops and injuries, he produced an amazing amount of "boom" in just a few weeks.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Well the first 1/2 of the season of Coates will be replaced by Bryant and actually exceeded by Bryant. Bryant willo also by FAR exceed Coates' 2nd half of the season. Sammy will be on the short end of making the team. He may make final 53 but struggle for a hat. I hope for HIM to "get it" but only time will tell.

Salute the nation

steelhurt

Reaction score
Coates will be with the team this season. The guy had two mangled fingers so what would you expect. Before the injury to his fingers I'd say he was doing a nice job. Go out and try catching passes from an NFL QB with two broken fingers. Then get back to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

ark steel

Reaction score
real home run hitters don't have alligator arms

yeah he did well early, but how many of those over 40 yard catches in the first 5 games were TDs??? 2 and they were both in game 5....

he needs to show he is the first half guy and not the scared ball dropper from the second half.....

and you cant think of anything that happened in game 5 or 6 that caused any issues? Those people who also had 6 40+ catches and had more TD's also played more games without injuries and not behind a guy named Antonio Brown. AND had more than twice the # of receptions. So, yeah, twice the receptions they got more TD's. Duh.

ark steel

Reaction score
Yeah. He wasn't that good and it caught up. He was hurt. I get that. He also doesn't accelerate to the ball well. Has overall suspect hands and really doesn't fight for the jump ball. I know I was excited too. And it is too early to give up. But my guess is that he is less than 50 percent to make the club. Top ten anything other than drop off. Cmon.

LOL, wasn't that good? WTF were you watching in the first 5 games? NOT ONE WR, including superstar starters with more than double the catches had more 40+ yard receptions. 40+ yard without a TD is still pretty ******* good and to have done it just as many times as these superstars all while playing on the same field with one of those superstars is pretty ******* good. 20 less yards receiving than one of those superstars in about half the catches.

Gets injured and becomes a completely different player because he was never that good in the first place? You people are out of your ******* minds. That last part of the season may have ****** him up for his career, but to state he wasn't that good for those first five games is ridiculous.

Lmob0621

Reaction score
If Coates leaves Pittsburgh and ends up in New England... crap

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
LOL, wasn't that good? WTF were you watching in the first 5 games? NOT ONE WR, including superstar starters with more than double the catches had more 40+ yard receptions. 40+ yard without a TD is still pretty ******* good and to have done it just as many times as these superstars all while playing on the same field with one of those superstars is pretty ******* good. 20 less yards receiving than one of those superstars in about half the catches.

Gets injured and becomes a completely different player because he was never that good in the first place? You people are out of your ******* minds. That last part of the season may have ****** him up for his career, but to state he wasn't that good for those first five games is ridiculous.
I don't use the term 5 or 6 games and superstar in the same sentence. He looked extremely promising to be something special was injured and disapeared. Now a key in this is that he was injured, but dressed. He is a professional football player. You are going to get hurt. He was hurt in week 5. Did you see the way he went for that ball in the first drive of the AFCCG. C'mon. His first five games get him back to camp this year. He better show a lot now.

ark steel

Reaction score
I don't use the term 5 or 6 games and superstar in the same sentence. He looked extremely promising to be something special was injured and disapeared. Now a key in this is that he was injured, but dressed. He is a professional football player. You are going to get hurt. He was hurt in week 5. Did you see the way he went for that ball in the first drive of the AFCCG. C'mon. His first five games get him back to camp this year. He better show a lot now.

OMG. I DID NOT CALL HIM A SUPERSTAR. I was pointing out that he had those long receptions, which people refer to as homeruns, and as many as those who ARE superstars and on the field at the same time as one of those superstarts all while having half the receptions. Jesus Christ on a caterpillar.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
O never said you called him a superstar. You compared him to a superstar based upon 5 or 6 games which is ridiculous.