• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tom Bradley on McKinley

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Tom who coached him at UCLA, was just on the X in Pittsburgh talking about him. He said he ran a 10.5 100 dash coming out of highschool, and expects him to run 4.4 to 4.5 at the combine, he played mostly around 270 this year. Bradley also said he's a film room junky, he would drive Bradley crazy wanting in the film room all the time. He also said he's dropped into coverage some so the 3-4 OLB wouldn't be totally new. I know Bradley wouldn't say anything bad, but he sounds like his talent and athleticism is matched by how hard he works and studies.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd take him at No. 30 without thinking twice. Of course, that depends on who else might have fallen that far. I've seen some mocks with him going in the top 15.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I know we've been vilified in the past for posting from here, but oh well...
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/takkarist-mckinley?id=2557872

DE
Takkarist McKinley
6-2, 265

Overview

McKinley signed with Cal coming out of high school, but failed to qualify academically. He went to Contra Costa College in 2013, winning all-league recognition with 18 tackles for loss and 10 sacks. He transferred to UCLA the following year, once his grades were settled. McKinley played in 10 games, starting one, that season (six tackles, 3.5 for loss, 2.5 sacks). He started 12 games as a junior, really beginning to show promise as a pass rusher (7.5 tackles, 4.5 sacks, four pass breakups, two forced fumbles). "Tak" stepped out in his senior year, receiving first-team All-Pac-12 notice with 18 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, and six pass breakups.

Analysis
Strengths Relentless worker bee on the field. Refuses to give offensive tackles a snap to catch their breath. Not a content player and is always charging towards the ball. Plus closing burst to sideline enables contain. Makes as many effort plays as anyone in the Pac 12. Unusually adept at bouncing off of blocks and maintaining play focus. Good stop/start change of direction talent. Long strides eat up ground in space. Scouts expect a strong forty time at combine. Combines speed with long arms for increased tackle radius. Became a playmaker. Saw 36 percent of his tackles come within two yards or less of line of scrimmage while sack total spiked considerably. Spins out of wash down blocks to work back towards the play. Consistently stuffs cut attempts. Raw, but pass rush flashes some speed to power. Pass rush counters fueled by lateral agility and effort.

Weaknesses
Hand skill and overall usage is completely uncultivated and impedes pass rush potential. Lacks slaps, swipes and a serviceable rip move to grease the edge as a rusher. Punch has very little force. Needs to get hands and feet need in unison. Long arms are irrelevant at times due to slow punch. Lacks bend around the edge. Upright pass rush allows tackles to flatten him up and over the rush arc with just an average punch. Movements are a little bit stiff. Redirected too easily. Needs to continue to add play strength. Success predicated on effort over rush talent and functional power. Needs to combine all three elements to his game.

Sources Tell Us "He was my sleeper headed into the season, but that went out the window with the season he had this year. I think he's a second rounder who needs time but he'll probably get overdrafted. He's going to be a productive pro." - AFC area scout

NFL Comparison Tamba Hali

Bottom Line Ascending edge prospect who racked up impressive TFL and sack numbers this year despite a relatively raw approach and skill set. He's a little stiff in his lower body, but flashes good athleticism once the ball is snapped. McKinley's motor is a translatable characteristic, but improved hand usage and pass rush mechanics are what could elevate his game to another level as a starting, 3-4 outside linebacker.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
His weaknesses sounds like they could be coached up. If he runs a 4.4 something he'll probably be long gone

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting that his comparison is to Tamba Hali, another guy Bradley coached at Penn State.

kev4heels

Reaction score
I'd take him too.
Unfortunately, so would other teams. Guessing he might not be around at 1.30.
Trade up possibly?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
there are enough prospects that will be there at 1.30, we shouldn't trade up for an OLB

ianv2012

Reaction score
there are enough prospects that will be there at 1.30, we shouldn't trade up for an OLB

This, lots of edge rusher talent in the 1st 3 rounds that would usually be considered 1st rounders in other draft classes, definitely loaded at pass rush in this class

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
This, lots of edge rusher talent in the 1st 3 rounds that would usually be considered 1st rounders in other draft classes, definitely loaded at pass rush in this class
That's is very good news. I'd honestly take two. One pans out great. Two gold. Then I'd FA db's. And you are pretty much set. Maybe a veteran RB.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I know Del had like a what 6th round grade on him?

I know the Steelers do their homework, so I am ok obviously with who they pick. But not my first choice.

I want Williams............

SteelerAl

Reaction score

I know the Steelers do their homework, so I am ok obviously with who they pick. But not my first choice.

Every other analyst has a first round grade on him.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

Del corrected his grade on mckinley, IIRC he's in his top 30 prospects. Apparently he has the speed and strength that Jarvis lacks

deljzc

Reaction score
He's not my first choice either but if he does well at the combine and runs a 4.60 or better he will get drafted high.

I just did my first mock draft (over in my draft thread) and I have us taking him at #30. Ahead of Tim Williams because I think we will stay away from Williams based on off-field stuff.

chipped ham

Reaction score

With Bell and Bryant, I have this suspicion that Williams is probably off their board completely. I think it's an unwise move, but something about it has me feeling that. While I, too, am on the Williams bandwagon, because of this, I've jumped on the Lawson train.

Steelers17

Reaction score
Haha Jarvis Jones couldnt run a 4.4 35 yard dash.

No Jarvis could not run a 4.4 barreling down a mountain side! In fact, Jarvis "torched" the track in a blistering 4.92 - not a typo on the GA Pro Day. Yes, it truly is amazing that the Steelers overlooked this particular physical flaw and jumped at the opportunity to make Jarvis their first round pick.

Alas, not to be dismayed at Jarvis' explosive track performance, he did 20 reps on the bench press that would have ranked him as the #16 LB if he would have shown up at the Combine. His rep total was only one better than the Combine's worst performer. (And they wonder why)

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Tyus Bowser at #30 or it is a total wasted draft

right Omar???