• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Timmons to be allowed to test market

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-to-let-Lawrence-Timmons-test-the-open-market-51332351

Steelers to let Lawrence Timmons test the open market
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said that the team has no issue with Lawrence Timmons finding out his value on the open market for the first time.

Bryan DeArdo

Lawrence Timmons will finally get his chance to test the open market.

While they said that they'd like to have Timmons back for the 2017 season, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said on Thursday that the team has no issues with Timmons testing the open market for the first time in his career when free agency season opens on March 9. Timmons, Mike Tomlin's first ever draft pick, as spent his entire career in Pittsburgh up to this point.

“Would you love to have him stay? Absolutely. Does it all fit? I think we can make it fit. At what cost? He has to see what his market is," Colbert said of Timmons' situation, per Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "He's never been a free agent, and we have nothing against him finding out. Let's stay in touch as we go through the process.

“We'd love to see Lawrence finish his career here, and I think he would, too.”

The Pittsburgh Steelers had a great season and will be even stronger in 2017! Stay in the loop and sign up for our FREE Steelers newsletter!

Eighth on the team's career list in sacks, Timmons would love to end his career in Pittsburgh, telling NFL.com's Aditi Kinkhabwala as much shortly after the AFC Championship Game.

"I'm die hard Pittsburgh," Timmons said. "This is where I want to be."

Timmons, 30, has been an unbelievable model of consistency and durability. He hasn't missed a game (or a start) since the start of the 2011 season, and in 2016, led Pittsburgh in tackles once again while recording at least 100 tackles for the fifth consecutive season.

Mike Tomlin's first draft pick, Timmons was also a menace in pass defense, as his red zone pick of Eli Manning in Week 13 helped spearhead Pittsburgh's 24-14 victory. Timmons also made his presence felt in the pass rush, recording 2.0 sacks during the postseason.

Timmons, who played in 92 percent of the team's snaps in 2016, attributed part of his strong play in 2016 to his nutritional habits, as Timmons eliminated fast food from his diet.

"I have to stay youthful out there," Timmons recently told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler. "When you're 30, [your body] is not the same. I can't just go out there and be the way I was."

Timmons, who helped the Steelers win the Super Bowl in 2008, said that he wants to return to the black and gold for the 2017 season.

"I don't make any top-level decisions," Timmons said, "but I would love to stay here."

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
no sense in them bidding against themselves, I suppose.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
unless some team goes bananas on him he'll stay as I doubt the difference of money between what he'll be offered by others and the Steelers would be enough for him to leave his NFL home

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Can we not post from that ****** excuse for a web site. Please go to the direct source that they ripped off and post from there. I can't stand their bullshit click bait they constantly post on Facebook. **** them.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Timmons will remain a Steeler. If he does get picked up by another team, Cardinals or Titans. Usual Steelers pick ups

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
This is a clear message that the steelers only want Timmons back for the right (low) price. Yes, he's better than Vince but I have a feeling that it will now be the ILB who leaves the field on passing down instead of the NT.

Hargrave is a good pass rusher. The reason they would sit McLendon was that he was not a pass rusher. The 2 ILBs were better to be on the field in passing situations. But now with Hargrave, it is Timmons/Williams who is the least useful on passing downs.

This means the steelers are looking to pay for a role player at ILB.

Steeler

Contributor
Reaction score
He's gone. Somebody will overpay.
I guess we will see how loyal he is.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. And that's ok.

At this point in his career yeah you can live with it.

HIs pass coverage is a liability. Sure you like his tackle ability. And would welcome him back.

But if he leaves it forces the team to address the position, not that that is a bad thing.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I see him getting an offer or two. If those amounts are made public we will find he will sign to "HIS" team for less money than offered by others. Lawrence Timmons is a consummate team mate and a TRUE STEELER. 4.3mil per & a 2year deal.

Salute the nation

Last edited:
Reactions: MTC

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Timmons play picked up at the end of the year. He's still good, but not great. A long term deal for him would be silly. I'd be okay with two years at 16 million.

My guess is his agent said no thanks to the Steelers initial offer, so let him test the market, Two down MLB's are not in demand these days.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Timmons play picked up at the end of the year. He's still good, but not great. A long term deal for him would be silly. I'd be okay with two years at 16 milliorn.

My guess is his agent said no thanks to the Steelers initial offer, so let him test the market, Two down MLB's are not in demand these days.

That's just too much. He might get signed for half of that

papillon

Reaction score
I want him back only because I do not want to take another LB in the 1st rd!

There's a good chance of that regardless of what happens with Timmons. Timmons stays, good chance of OLB, Timmons goes, good chance of ILB. I think LB is a very real possibility in the 1st and it seems that McKinley, Williams or Charlton will be available when the Steelers pick.

Papillon

Spike

Reaction score
There's a good chance of that regardless of what happens with Timmons. Timmons stays, good chance of OLB, Timmons goes, good chance of ILB. I think LB is a very real possibility in the 1st and it seems that McKinley, Williams or Charlton will be available when the Steelers pick.

Papillon

Nooooooooooo, don't say that

Screw that, one LB won't help this team win now anyway, we need to score 40 points a game every game - we need another #1 WR

I'd go WR, TE, RB - blue chippers - the hell with the defense, defenses are overrated - just speed bumps against good passing offenses nowadays, they all get shredded

WE need to be the SHRED-ER, ALL OFFENSE for the first 3 rds!

Come in and contribute right away, we need to win NOW. Ben needs more weapons than the 2 B's

I want 6 B's!

Last edited:

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
titans i can bet have already put him at the top of thier of what to i know they will take mike williams with one of thier 2 1st's the other will be Adams LSU.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
if back at 1-2 years 3.5-4 mill a year Peppers should stiil be priority # and it would likely take the 29th 3rd rnd pick and our 6th to get in front of cincy who I am sure are likely tired of Mauligua dreaded cover skills.

deljzc

Reaction score
I hope James Harrison talks to him about going to the highest bidder and leaving the Steelers. And I like the way the Steelers are handling this.

Timmons deserves this as an athlete. He's paid his due and doesn't owe the Steelers anything (and the Steelers don't owe him anything). It's been a great reciprocal relationship. It's been great we've had no issues with him or Rosenhaus for a decade.

Let him see what's out there. Maybe get the smooze tours and dinners and coaches/owners selling their franchises. I think Rosenhaus knows how good Timmons has had it in Pittsburgh. They aren't dumb and Rosenhaus isn't going to recommend something just for his cut. They'll hopefully makes the best decision.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Makes sense for both sides. Timmons might have no clue what he market value is and doesn't want to sign for too little and the Steelers might feel the same and don't want to over spend. Give Timmons a few weeks to see what is out there. Maybe a team who needs an ILB offers another huge pay day and if so good for Timmons. But maybe no one offers much and he figures stay with the team who drafted you and retire a Steeler. Next year he'd easily eclipse Farrior as the Steelers all time tackle leader.