• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thursday Night Foozball - Broncos @ Chiefs

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm enjoying watching defensive backs that actually play pass defense... Guarding receivers, jumping routes, etc. I guess there is another way to play pass defense other than the Steeler way which is allowing the receiver to catch the ball, run 7 or 8 yards, and then try to tackle him. I have to say that what I'm watching tonight seems much more effective.

Talib was brought in as a free agent. They knew what they had with him and instantaneously improved their D with the signing.

Steelers used to do that a Farrior here a Bettis there. Not 20 free agents. But one significant one to improve one area of your team. No SS was brought in, no proven starting CB (Boykin was better in the slot).

The old school draft good strategy method works when well a team drafts good. Lately that seems more like miss than hit. So what do you do? Bring in one or two difference making vets. The NE, Bronco, Seattle's of the NFL world are doing it.

It is time the Steelers take this approach in the next offseason if they truly want to take the next step...........

steelermania

Reaction score
Talib was brought in as a free agent. They knew what they had with him and instantaneously improved their D with the signing.

Steelers used to do that a Farrior here a Bettis there. Not 20 free agents. But one significant one to improve one area of your team. No SS was brought in, no proven starting CB (Boykin was better in the slot).

The old school draft good strategy method works when well a team drafts good. Lately that seems more like miss than hit. So what do you do? Bring in one or two difference making vets. The NE, Bronco, Seattle's of the NFL world are doing it.

It is time the Steelers take this approach in the next offseason if they truly want to take the next step...........

You know what else Bettis and Farrior had in common? Both were young guys who were highly regarded coming out of college, and had had some moments in the league, but had not really lived up to the hype while playing for bad teams. That might be what you look for.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Lol way to go, kansas city, you idiots. Chiefs fans are puking right now

I'm going to hear about it ALL DAY today. And I am OK with it. I did pick the Chiefs to win, but only because the Broncos didn't look so hot last week. Lesson learned- don't pick against Captain Fivehead or he will screw up your pool picks.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
What a finish, 5 turn overs will grant you a long ticket to a win. Provided your not the one turning it over......lol. Feel for the cheifs fans, but does anyone remeber the huston game? Where we gave up i think five turn overs and lost dispite our unbelieveable TOP differential??? I don't remeber the specifics, but crazy.

Salute the nation

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Great game!

Lloyds legend

Contributor
Reaction score
Turnovers aside this game showed how far under the line our defense is in respect to other AFC defenses.

Lord we need at least one DB and a disruptive LB.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
You know what else Bettis and Farrior had in common? Both were young guys who were highly regarded coming out of college, and had had some moments in the league, but had not really lived up to the hype while playing for bad teams. That might be what you look for.

something anything besides the bottom of the barrel free agent pickup.

And at a position of obvious weakness.

Colbert at one time traded up for a SS in Polamalu. Even then they identified a weakness and jumped after it.

Now it is ohhhhhh maybe Sham can do the job, oh he can't after three years of not showing much? oh we are surprised...

More moves that make sense please...

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
something anything besides the bottom of the barrel free agent pickup.

And at a position of obvious weakness.

Colbert at one time traded up for a SS in Polamalu. Even then they identified a weakness and jumped after it.

Now it is ohhhhhh maybe Sham can do the job, oh he can't after three years of not showing much? oh we are surprised...

More moves that make sense please...

I think Cohwer was the motivator in the last time this team was aggresive in good decision vs talent making..........

Saluter the nation

SteelVictory

Reaction score
Never thought I would say this but I'm leaning to the "NFL is fixed" side of the fence now after that game.

A weak *** defensive penalty that continued the Broncos last drive.
Then a no-call phantom penalty on the fumble return for a touchdown.
For the last few years the Refs have made it a point to explain why the flag was picked up "no penalty for so-so infraction, the player was...."
But on the fumble recovery for the game winning TD we just got a "no penalty, the touchdown counts".
Fixed league.
Broncos are scheduled 4 more primetime games, they need to be in the playoffs picture.

SteelVictory

Reaction score
Oh..also...
The national play-byplay announcers anymore NEVER say something should be a penalty, holding, pick/rub routes, whatever.
In fact you'll catch them saying "that looked like a pick route but we don't call it that anymore."
Twenty years ago the announcers were always calling out missed penalties.

No doubt in the last few years the league sent out instructions to their broadcast partners suggesting the announcers should no longer mention missed calls.