• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The two bridge QBs I'd be interested in

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Are basically the same guy with different names. Carr or Goropolo. They are both in the exact same situation. They both could win you a game or lose you one. I think both teams are moving on and the price if there is one will be right. I'd say if no offers it will be some salary UFA. If you have to give capital the Raiders or 9ers will be eating salary. My preference is sink or swim with Rudolph. But if they are going for a guy for me it would be one of these two.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
1. Carr's salary will keep us from trading for him

2. Jimmy G's salary will keep us from trading for him

As i've said before... if we are to entertain the thought of getting any decent QB off the FA heap, we better beef up the OL first and make the position enticing. No one wants to get their *** kicked in for 17 games.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
My thought is if you are giving a third to either team. They eat 10 million. If no one is buying they are both going to be UFA's. Yes I agree about the line but how many other teams looking for a qb were in the playoffs.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
1. Carr's salary will keep us from trading for him

2. Jimmy G's salary will keep us from trading for him

As i've said before... if we are to entertain the thought of getting any decent QB off the FA heap, we better beef up the OL first and make the position enticing. No one wants to get their *** kicked in for 17 games.
I was just pondering Cousins and Carr this morning. Thinking they could at least upgrade Rudy and co. But yeah the line needs upgrading for whoever the passer is.

steelhurt

Reaction score
These guys all make too much money plus it would involve us trading prime draft picks.
I’d rather they sign Mitch Trubisky who is still young and had a high ceiling. Don’t have to trade for him. Guy just needs an opportunity to start. He shouldn’t be expensive and could maybe load his contract with performance incentives.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
By definition, bridge QB means he's not the guy. So if he's not the guy, just roll with Rudolph or Haskins or a cheap vet. I'd rather go 6-11 and get a better pick for 2023 where the QB class will be better, than go 9-8 and another early playoff exit and another mid 20s pick.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
By definition, bridge QB means he's not the guy. So if he's not the guy, just roll with Rudolph or Haskins or a cheap vet. I'd rather go 6-11 and get a better pick for 2023 where the QB class will be better, than go 9-8 and another early playoff exit and another mid 20s pick.
Agreed. I just don't think they will ne willing to do that.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I wouldn’t trade a pick for a QB. Mariota and Trubisky would just cost salary and we will need every draft pick we have to build that team up.

Here’s my thoughts.

QB- Sign Trubisky or Mariota to a 1 year prove it deal. If they want money go somewhere else what we are offering is an opportunity.

OL- Sign Ethan Pocic to play center. I think Bozeman costs too much so I grab Pocic who can play center or guard unlike Bozeman.

DL- cut Tuitt. Sign Adams.

Draft- trade down stockpile picks.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If another team is willing to move on from a STARTER, why does everyone think they would be the Steelers savior?

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
If we’re not going with Mason R., the only FA QB that interests me that won’t hamstring us in the draft/salary is Tribusky.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I would prefer Carr to Cousins and Goropolo to both.
Carr had more yards, Cousins TDs. Gorop gives you that winner feeling. Although Carr seems to be turning into a gamer. Carr might be my choice because of Gorop's slight injury concerns.

Last edited:

steelcan58

Reaction score
If we're going outside the organization I want Andy Dalton. Great entertainment value. He's made a career out of getting the hell beat out of himself 🤣

If we're sticking with Tomlin (and almost certainly Canada), which we are, we may as well be entertained. I think by now he's proven we sure as hell aren't winning.

Last edited:

diver

Reaction score
I like Trubisky or Minshew...younger guys who can move a bit without big salaries. Maybe you get lucky and they play pretty well. This allows you some freedom under the cap to try to address other areas on the roster.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If either were a FA, then maybe at best. But, both will cost a high draft pick and a significant cap hit. I say NO to both.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Trubisky or Minshew...younger guys who can move a bit without big salaries. Maybe you get lucky and they play pretty well. This allows you some freedom under the cap to try to address other areas on the roster.
I hear a ton bad about Trubisky but a lot of yinz seem to like him so I'd be OK giving him a shot. Minshew is an interesting cat. Most of yinz on here don't seem to like him but his numbers on paper have been good and he wins games. Why wouldn't you consider someone like him for a couple of years until you might be able to draft someone early in round 1? We definitely can't give away our draft capital and a ton of cap space if we want to rebuild the team and not keep pushing cap hits into the future (i.e. pay Watt this year, don't restructure his contract in year 1 of his deal).

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
P.s. what would it have cost to bring back Ben next year?

His life and MORE blame. I can see BEN just stepping back and flipping Coach Tomlin / Canada the bird unless assurances are made of OL and play calling.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Marcus Mariota or Mitch Trubisky would probably be the cheapest options to bridge gap

Mitch would be my choice but restricted to only two SteelrSask Mentioned then Jimmy.

DO NOT give draft picks up for any QB

Salute the nation

Bluesteel

Reaction score
Trubisky intrigues me the most. 6’2” and very mobile (which as we are told SHOULD open up Canada’s offense), actually has playoff experience and Tomlin’s “pedigree,” but most importantly, had a change of scenery, where he was exposed to a QB that’s well on the rise, after a similarly slow start, as well as exposure to the OC that has contributed to Allen’s development, and exposed to winning!

I think Trubisky could be one of those types that is not just a bridge, but flourishes given a new opportunity, ie. Tannehill.

He’s a WAY BETTER version than Haskins regarding 1st round pedigree and will be relatively cheap in that it’s only money, not draft capital to get him.

Draft and remainder of FA can focus on line of scrimmage and holes in D - LB/CB.

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
Trubisky is the only bargain QB that interests me. He started in Chicago, where they really don't understand offensive football. Seems like a perfect fit.

Of the bigger names, I like Carr, cuz he got the purtiest eye liner.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
If another team is willing to move on from a STARTER, why does everyone think they would be the Steelers savior?
I would suspect the answer to your question would be answered by ranking Rudolph, Mariota and Trubisky.
No one thinks any of the 3 would be the teams savior, only a stop gap.
Personally, I think they should take their lumps with Rudy.

steelcan58

Reaction score
Trubisky is the only bargain QB that interests me. He started in Chicago, where they really don't understand offensive football. Seems like a perfect fit.

Of the bigger names, I like Carr, cuz he got the purtiest eye liner.
If Trubinsky is used to playing on teams that don't understand offensive football, he'll be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh and Matt Canada's offense.