• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The turd franchises that won't flush

P

POP

I think you have to start the list by looking at the teams that never won a ring. One possible exception would be Tampa, while having won a ring has been mostly a terrible team most of it's existence. I guess the Jets are similar as well.

Also, like most of these lists, I am putting far more weight on the Super Bowl era; what happened before then is of little interest to me.

1. The Browns. Not only have the rarely been good since the 1960's, they have usually been among the very worst teams most seasons - just terrible. Other than for the Marty era in the 80's and the Belichick regime, the Browns have been just awful, including their entire time since returning in 1999. They have been atrocious. I mean, I believe our worst season since 1970 has been a 6-10 record; the Browns would welcome that record for much of their modern era. They are the definition of a hot mess. Look at 3 key indicators to illustrate just how bad they have been: their draft picks, their # of starting QBs and their # of coaches. Look how many terrible first round picks they made.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/draft.htm

2. The Bengals. Yes, have fielded better teams lately, but still can't win a playoff game. Yes, have been in two Super Bowls unlike the Browns. Yes, the Ken Anderson and Boomer eras fielded some good teams, but by-in-large, they are still losers and have posted many, many 3-13 type of seasons, Dick LeBeau posted a sweet 2-14 season as head coach.

3. The Bucs. Other than a good defense in the late 70's (lost to the Rams in NFC Championship game the year we beat the Rams in the Super Bowl) and the crew that won a ring with Jon Gruden, they have mostly been bad....very, very bad. Their team winning % is .385%. That's pretty bad, Even when they have good QB talent, which has been rare, they squander the talent (Steve Young,

4. The Jets. Yea they won a ring 100 years ago, but have been mostly a terrible team since. A few good seasons with the "NY Sack exchange." (Gastineau, Klecko and co), some decent years with Parcells and some with Rex Ryan, but for most of my life, the Jets have been awful. Other than Nameth, their QBs have been horrid. Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, The Dirty Sanchez, Chad Pennington, Vinny Testaverde, Geno Smith, Browning Nagle?

5. The Cards. Yea, had a few decent season, here and there, including last year and in 2008 when we played them in the Super Bowl, but, most seasons, they are just bad. I remember when Neil Lomax had the offense humming in the 80's, and they had a short run with Kurt Warner but they haven't had much luck other than that. But Uncle Brucie has them on the rise.

Honorable mention bad teams: Jags, Bills, Chiefs, Lions.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
The Cheatriots. They aren't good for sports, having to cheat to get themselves over humps. Lower than anything listed for the other clubs.

I would love to have seen those destroyed tapes of that despicable team and fan base.

The lot of utes should all be flushed.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see how the Jags can be listed. (Even as honorable mention) They have only been in the league for 21 years and I'd say they've been competitive until the last few years. Brunell and company used to beat our *** regularly .

P

POP

I don't see how the Jags can be listed. (Even as honorable mention) They have only been in the league for 21 years and I'd say they've been competitive until the last few years. Brunell and company used to beat our *** regularly .

I hesitated to mention the Jags for the reasons you mentioned. Not only were they decent right out of the gate, but by 1999 they were without question, one of the best teams in the entire NFL, only losing to one team all year, the Titans.

But I disagree that they have been "competitive" the last few years.

Maybe you feel that way because our Tomlin-coached team made them look competitive and few years ago.

While their 5-11 season last year was somewhat "competitive" their season prior to that were 3-13, 4-12, 2-14 and 5-11. I live down here. Trust me, the fans don't feel they have been "competitive."

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/jax/

I do believe they are headed in the right direction. Bortels is getting decent, got some WRs and added Ivory to RB this year. The D was really bad, but they added free agents and drafted a ton of D players.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Those teams had a lot of guys I couldn't stand to play against. Brunell, Boselli, Smith, McCardell, Taylor, Henderson, Stroud, Mathis.

P

POP

Those teams had a lot of guys I couldn't stand to play against. Brunell, Boselli, Smith, McCardell, Taylor, Henderson, Stroud, Mathis.

I remember when Fred Taylor lit us up for like 300 yards. Our guys had no legs left and they exploited it.

I hated Brunell, Boselli, McCardell, Smith, Mathis, Brackens, and, more than anyone, Coughlin.

But now a lot of Jags/x-Jags live in my community so I no longer hate them. By all accounts, Coughlin is a really good guy.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The Cheatriots. They aren't good for sports, having to cheat to get themselves over humps. Lower than anything listed for the other clubs.

I would love to have seen those destroyed tapes of that despicable team and fan base.

The lot of utes should all be flushed.

^^^
Pretty much this

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I would have the Lions in the top five due to long term ineptitude nearly as bad as the Browns even with Megatron and Barry Sanders and leave the Bungles off because they are at least reasonably competitive most seasons even if Marvin can't win a playoff game.
I mean, Barry Sanders is in anybody's top five RB's of all time and finally said "**** it" and quit when he was still at the top of his game.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The sole ownership of being the best TURD team in the NFL, super bowl era or not, are the CHEATRIOTS. Only a t*mmy b*y fan would leave them off this list. Not winning isn't bad for the nfl, cheating is. Now their slum scumbag ugg boy QB is finally going to pay a price. Oh how great it is.

Salute the nation

P

POP

When it comes to the Pats, you guys act just like Browns fans about the Steelers. It is quite unbecoming. Knock off the Pat envy, we got a good team ourselves. No reason to resemble Browns fan.

awboatguy

Reaction score
LOL! The Massholes are full of ****. A "dynasty" franchise built on lies, court hearings, and documented cheating. That's not envy. It's facts and they can't run from it and time won't make it go away. They deserve to on any "turd" list IMO.

1. Lions
2. Browns
3. Bills
4. Titans
5. The Cheaters

Reactions: MTC

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
When it comes to the Pats, you guys act just like Browns fans about the Steelers. It is quite unbecoming. Knock off the Pat envy, we got a good team ourselves. No reason to resemble Browns fan.

Awww did we hurt yinz feelings about your beloved Pats? Too bad they are the kings of cheating to win, you slobbing on their cocks with every breath you take, is quite unbecoming.

hi

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
The Raiders have been a dumpster fire since 2002!

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

When it comes to "cheatriot" fans, you act just like POP. Always whining or defending them when you know in your heart they are cheaters. You are on a STEELERS board and act as if other members should cherish your thought and every word on the cheatriot Ugg subject.... OH, wait........ You are POPs. Sorry for the comparison in a second party. ****. The CHEATRIOTS

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Teams that have never been to a Super Bowl:
1. Browns
2. Lions
3. Jags
4. Texans (who are still kinda new so I give them a pass)

Teams that have never won a Super Bowl:
1. Titans
2. Chargers
3. Eagles
4. Vikings
5. Jags
6. Texans
7. Lions
8. Browns
9. Bengals
10. Bills
11. Panthers
12. Falcons
13. Cardinals

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I would have the Lions in the top five due to long term ineptitude nearly as bad as the Browns even with Megatron and Barry Sanders and leave the Bungles off because they are at least reasonably competitive most seasons even if Marvin can't win a playoff game.
I mean, Barry Sanders is in anybody's top five RB's of all time and finally said "**** it" and quit when he was still at the top of his game.

To throw in the Barry Sanders situation. Yes! Agreed. Even with Megatron, and too a point Matthew Stafford. Yet they continue to be an under achieving team

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The Lions have to be on this list. Consider this....

They went 0-16.
They havent won a playoff game in my lifetime. (I am nearing 50.)
When you haven't won a playoff game snce TV went to color, you are top 5 bad.

That's bad. I'd pull for them in the NFC if they sniff the playoffs again. I feel for them man

steelermania

Reaction score
The Lions have to be on this list. Consider this....

They went 0-16.
They havent won a playoff game in my lifetime. (I am nearing 50.)
When you haven't won a playoff game snce TV went to color, you are top 5 bad.

The Lions beat Dallas 38–6 in the 1991 playoffs before losing to Washington in the NFC Championship Game. That said, they are number one by a mile when it comes to futility.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I think you have to start the list by looking at the teams that never won a ring. One possible exception would be Tampa, while having won a ring has been mostly a terrible team most of it's existence. I guess the Jets are similar as well.

Also, like most of these lists, I am putting far more weight on the Super Bowl era; what happened before then is of little interest to me.

1. The Browns. Not only have the rarely been good since the 1960's, they have usually been among the very worst teams most seasons - just terrible. Other than for the Marty era in the 80's and the Belichick regime, the Browns have been just awful, including their entire time since returning in 1999. They have been atrocious. I mean, I believe our worst season since 1970 has been a 6-10 record; the Browns would welcome that record for much of their modern era. They are the definition of a hot mess. Look at 3 key indicators to illustrate just how bad they have been: their draft picks, their # of starting QBs and their # of coaches. Look how many terrible first round picks they made.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/draft.htm

2. The Bengals. Yes, have fielded better teams lately, but still can't win a playoff game. Yes, have been in two Super Bowls unlike the Browns. Yes, the Ken Anderson and Boomer eras fielded some good teams, but by-in-large, they are still losers and have posted many, many 3-13 type of seasons, Dick LeBeau posted a sweet 2-14 season as head coach.

3. The Bucs. Other than a good defense in the late 70's (lost to the Rams in NFC Championship game the year we beat the Rams in the Super Bowl) and the crew that won a ring with Jon Gruden, they have mostly been bad....very, very bad. Their team winning % is .385%. That's pretty bad, Even when they have good QB talent, which has been rare, they squander the talent (Steve Young,

4. The Jets. Yea they won a ring 100 years ago, but have been mostly a terrible team since. A few good seasons with the "NY Sack exchange." (Gastineau, Klecko and co), some decent years with Parcells and some with Rex Ryan, but for most of my life, the Jets have been awful. Other than Nameth, their QBs have been horrid. Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, The Dirty Sanchez, Chad Pennington, Vinny Testaverde, Geno Smith, Browning Nagle?

5. The Cards. Yea, had a few decent season, here and there, including last year and in 2008 when we played them in the Super Bowl, but, most seasons, they are just bad. I remember when Neil Lomax had the offense humming in the 80's, and they had a short run with Kurt Warner but they haven't had much luck other than that. But Uncle Brucie has them on the rise.

Honorable mention bad teams: Jags, Bills, Chiefs, Lions.

The Bengals have had periods of talented players. They are just a poorly run orginzation.

GRBman

Reaction score
I remember when Fred Taylor lit us up for like 300 yards. Our guys had no legs left and they exploited it.

I hated Brunell, Boselli, McCardell, Smith, Mathis, Brackens, and, more than anyone, Coughlin.

But now a lot of Jags/x-Jags live in my community so I no longer hate them. By all accounts, Coughlin is a really good guy.

You do realize that when the Steelers played the Jags (under Coughlin)...they were essentially mirror images of one another, right? Same team, different colors.

the Jags were built for success...Coughlin burned them out, Boselli got injured and it fell apart.

P

POP

You do realize that when the Steelers played the Jags (under Coughlin)...they were essentially mirror images of one another, right? Same team, different colors.

the Jags were built for success...Coughlin burned them out, Boselli got injured and it fell apart.

Not even close. The Jags had a pro bowl level QB in Burnell. Who did we have? Kordell "can't hit the side of a barn" Stewart. Brunell was super accurate, especially downfield. Kordell was just terrible when he tried to lead receivers. He simply couldn't do it.

And although I think Hines Ward was fantastic as a player, no one is going to confuse he and Courtney Hawkins with Jimmy Smith and McCardell.

The Jags had an explosive offense. The Steelers did not. They were nowhere near "mirror images" at all. And Coughlin didn't "burn them out" they simply aged and ran out of players in their prime, which happens to all good teams.

If Coughlin was apt top "burn teams out" how did he end up winning TWO Super Bowl trophies in NY (twice as many as Tomlin won)?

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score

There is no envy here. People genuinely hate cheaters.