• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Potential is There for Artie Burns

zmetkler

Sponsor
Reaction score
Artie Burns has been far from perfect but the potential is there. The tackling is a huge concern as he still doesn't have great technique, especially one on one in the open field. However, his coverage skills and ability to locate the ball in the air have been nice. I feel it is only a matter of time until he begins getting interceptions. Either way, he is still a work in progress. What do you all think?

https://gzsportsreport.com/2016/10/...rtie-burns-is-starting-to-show-his-potential/

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
What I like about Burns is something you mention and something noted in the article - his ability to find the ball in the air and make a play on it. Additionally, due to his very good ball awareness, his timing on pass breakups is superb.

Finally, Burns definitely needs to work on his tackling. However, what would we rather have in a 6'0", 195 lb. defensive back with 4.46 40 - a guy who needs to work on coverage and finding the ball or his tackling?

Hell of a lot easier to improve his tackling than it is to improve his coverage skills.

zmetkler

Sponsor
Reaction score
What I like about Burns is something you mention and something noted in the article - his ability to find the ball in the air and make a play on it. Additionally, due to his very good ball awareness, his timing on pass breakups is superb.

Finally, Burns definitely needs to work on his tackling. However, what would we rather have in a 6'0", 195 lb. defensive back with 4.46 40 - a guy who needs to work on coverage and finding the ball or his tackling?

Hell of a lot easier to improve his tackling than it is to improve his coverage skills.

I completely agree. Many players come into the league with tackling issues. If we are sitting here a year from now and he is still having the same tackling issues or has shown no improvements, then that will present a problem. But I am sure the tackling will come in time. They will find a way to coach him up there. Coverage skills, on the other hand, are much harder to develop and some players never get the knack for it. I don't think that will be the case for Burns. Once he is able to put his tackling technique together, you will see a very well-rounded cornerback.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
The arrow is obviously pointing up on Burns. He has some growing to do and we're seeing his progress advance on a game to game basis. He's provided some quality snaps whilst elevating his level to meet the competition that he is faced with on the opposite side of the ball. Burns has shown potential in making some splash plays and again, we are exuberant about his progression.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Burns has a lot of room to improve, but what I like his he doesn't look lost. Opposing quarterbacks aren't looking his way and picking on him like they would with Blake. He's getting his hands on the ball and you can see he's getting close to getting that first pick. Given how raw he was when he entered the league, he is having a very nice start to his career.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
The arrow is obviously pointing up on Burns. He has some growing to do and we're seeing his progress advance on a game to game basis. He's provided some quality snaps whilst elevating his level to meet the competition that he is faced with on the opposite side of the ball. Burns has shown potential in making some splash plays and again, we are exuberant about his progression.

Well said, Cool Shades.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Is Artie lighting it up,......No............Is he a smoldering piece of poo..........HELL no. Give a little time an d the kid will be a gamer!!!!!

Salute the nation

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score

The part I like is he is over 5'10". You work on everything else in practice. A short guy ain't going to magically get taller. I have criticized our staff for drafting and matching up Oompaloompa sized DBs on 6' plus wideouts.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
At least he is on the field playing unlike another CB we drafted that can't seem to stay healthy. Not his fault, but if the kid had remained healthy, especially with the addition of Burns, the secondary may be much stronger than it is now.

That said, I think by the second half of the season, I think the improvement will be noteworthy.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
It's clear than when he's in position and sees the ball, Burns is good at playing the pass. That was show on his college tape, and it translated well into the NFL. The man is long with ball skills. Very valuable. Chek the box here.

It's unclear about his top level speed in deep man in the NFL To be a good corner, he'll need this speed.

Quickness is not Burns thing. I think he'll always have issues with covering smaller / quicker players.

He'll learn as he goes, but the tackling needs work for sure.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
It's clear than when he's in position and sees the ball, Burns is good at playing the pass. That was show on his college tape, and it translated well into the NFL. The man is long with ball skills. Very valuable. Chek the box here.

It's unclear about his top level speed in deep man in the NFL To be a good corner, he'll need this speed.

Quickness is not Burns thing. I think he'll always have issues with covering smaller / quicker players.

So you are saying he has strengths and weaknesses. Ok gotcha

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score

Im not sure if you watched the game, but-

In the 3rd quarter, Artie was initially beat by Tyreke Hill on a go route (Sub 4.30 WR)- but Artie clearly had the recovery speed to catch up and deflect the ball.

So I think that you can retire your notion that Burns is "not that fast".

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

In the 3rd quarter, Artie was initially beat by Tyreke Hill on a go route (Sub 4.30 WR)- but Artie clearly had the recovery speed to catch up and deflect the ball.

Wasn't on the highlights. You know they only do scoring plays mostly

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The part I like is he is over 5'10". You work on everything else in practice. A short guy ain't going to magically get taller. I have criticized our staff for drafting and matching up Oompaloompa sized DBs on 6' plus wideouts.

He also has very long arms.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Is there a video link? It could have been a late throw, or a throw without a lot of velocity on it, that allowed Burns to catch up. Post the video and we can judge. On a go route with a well-thrown deep pass like say, Ben throws Hill's getting separation on Burns or any of our DB's

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Is there a video link? It could have been a late throw, or a throw without a lot of velocity on it, that allowed Burns to catch up. Post the video and we can judge. On a go route with a well-thrown deep pass like say, Ben throws Hill's getting separation on Burns or any of our DB's

You definitely just exposed your self. YOU DO NOT WATCH THE GAMES..there is no need for a link if you saw the play live

zmetkler

Sponsor
Reaction score
http://www.stateoftheu.com/2016/10/3/13150570/procanes-nfl-recap-week-4

Scroll to Artie Burns towards the bottom. There is a clip of the pass breakup. Burns is able to recover from getting beat initially off of the line and is able to get a hand in on the ball, thus breaking the play up. No, he didn't really locate the ball in the air but he was able to diagnose the motions of the receiver (based on Hill's hand placement) and still do his job. The recovery speed is there and Hill is among the fastest players in the league. To say that "quickness isn't Burns' thing" is a bit much. No, he doesn't have sub-4.3 speed but his length allows him to catch up when beat and he still has 4.45 speed nonetheless. Wouldn't exactly call him slow.

paperclip

Reaction score
Junior Hurdles Champion? Doesn't sound like speed is in his wheel house.......

deljzc

Reaction score
The truth is very few college CB prospects come into the league with good tackling skills. It is far and few between when scouting to see AVERAGE tackling ability.

The Steelers (especially since Tomlin has been here) have long placed a high emphasis on tackling, both in scouting DB's (actually to the chagrin of many here) and then in expecting them to practice, improve and perform tackling in games.

I will never worry about tackling when it comes to Tomlin's DB's. There will be games they miss some. But you guys should watch some games that don't include the Steelers sometimes. Tackling from CB's around the league SUCKS.

I'm actually more encouraged by the fact we have some athletes with long arms and speed and ball skills IN ADDITION to above average tackling skill sets for once. For about 4-5 years it seemed like all we cared when scouting DB's was tackling first and you hope another attribute came along with it (and most of the time it was only one other thing).

There are things I complain about with Tombert more than many. I think they are frivolous with some picks towards special teams. I think they wait too long to start addressing positional group upgrades and when they do they tend to shot-gun quality picks at the problem. And there is some criticism they haven't "hit" yet on a real superstar caliber, game-changing defensive player.

But I give them credit that their success rate at finding "good" is better than most and they get "serviceable" performance. Now I know the criticism is without Roethlisberger stirring the drink, "good" and "serviceable" probably doesn't get you much. But it's better than the opposite as well.... I guess we could have turned out to be the Saints and the Chargers.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Junior Hurdles Champion? Doesn't sound like speed is in his wheel house.......

And when there are hurdles on the field, that would matter. Junior champ does not mean much in the professional anything.

Burns ran a 4.46, which is about average among the combine corners drafted. DB's like Grant were a little faster ( 4.44 ), and he was burned a few times in man. This is why I want to see Burns cover deep in man before the ball is thrown, and to see if he has " catch up " speed on a well thrown ball when beaten. I suspect he does not have the catch up speed to recover from a mistake on a well thrown ball. We shall see.

Burns other drill was the verticle at 31.5", below average among combine corners

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
And when there are hurdles on the field, that would matter. Junior champ does not mean much in the professional anything.

Burns ran a 4.46, which is about average among the combine corners drafted. DB's like Grant were a little faster ( 4.44 ), and he was burned a few times in man. This is why I want to see Burns cover deep in man before the ball is thrown, and to see if he has " catch up " speed on a well thrown ball when beaten. I suspect he does not have the catch up speed to recover from a mistake on a well thrown ball. We shall see.

Burns other drill was the verticle at 31.5", below average among combine corners

So you aren't going to watch the video posted and just keep saying you want to see him do what's in the video ???