• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Golden Age of Quarterbacks will define Big Ben..

SteveA

Reaction score
Make no mistake about it, we are in the Golden Era of Quarterbacks....Ben Roethlisberger has always been right around # 5 in Quarterback rankings in spite of 2 rings. The Steeler system had a lot to do with it, as his offensive numbers have taken a hit.

But now, in the new system, Ben & Haley are re-defining our offense. Our offense is high-powered, high-octane & second to none.... Ben led the League in Yards passing & had TWO 6 TD games & a second career 500 yard game.....The Big 3: Manning, Brady & Rogers cannot make that claim. In the Golden Age of the Quarterback, the Big 3 are separate from everyone else by most experts.

Don't look now, but history could very well be unfolding, & a new QB may take his rightful place in the "Big Four" discussion....

It is your contemporaries who define you, & this year Roethlisberger is poised to make a statement which will seal his legacy in this Golden Era.

If Ben can continue his the offensive onslaught & lift the Burgh to another Title, when all is said and done, his name will be synonymous with this era & the other great QB's of this day.

Watching Ben this year has been like a lot watching Aaron Rogers back in 2011.

Ben also has multiple weapons like Rogers did when they beat us in the S-u-p-e-r B-o-w-l...Ben has always had the gunslinger mentality, but it is different now.... He now has the luxury of coming out firing to the best receiving corps in the league. He has access to 4 great wide-outs & a top 3 Tight end. Ben also resists the temptation to do as much improvising, & he now takes 2-3 steps back and unloads. Ben consistently gets rid of the ball in a hurry now, and keeps defenses on their heels. His arm strength is possibly the best in football and is absolutely showcased in the pocket. To top it off, the Steeler running game is now top 3 in the League. Another unsung weapon he has is we now include screen plays which we rarely ran before. The Steelers now consistently run screenplays for our backs in Haley system. This opens up our down field aerial attack....

So................We finally got with the times, and because of that, we just may be able to overcome an average Defense & nab another ring by outscoring our opponents.

After all, that's the name of the game: Outscore the other team....

It is a defining year & moment for Ben & the Steelers, & an epic offensive playoff run will permanently cement Ben as one of the "Big Four".....

Last edited:

TazManianDevil

Forefather
Reaction score
Let's just beat the Ratbirds first.

Though we need to get that Patriots monkey off of our back.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
one game at a timeeeeeeeeeeee

B

Blackstone

Ben's arm is good but no where near the best in the league.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If he can just get another SB win and secure the MVP while doing it, he has a CHANCE of being MENTIONED as a "NFL Starting QB"

SteveA

Reaction score
If he can just get another SB win and secure the MVP while doing it, he has a CHANCE of being MENTIONED as a "NFL Starting QB"

At 106 wins & 52 Losses....He ranks number 11 All-Time in wins by a NFL Starting QB..........................He is also.#6 All-Time in Win Pct. @ .671

spencelisberger13

Reaction score
Ben is and always has been elite (even if the football pundits say otherwise)!!! He has that uncanny ability to make plays when there is nothing there and when everything breaks down is when he is at his best. He is also a QB that lives for those defining moments,those pressure packed moments in big games that separate boys from men and that ultimately decides the outcomes of those big games. I'm glad he finally has a stable O-Line a big, fast WR and is learning how to more frequently get rid of the ball on time or just take what the defense gives him (dumping it down to Leveon as the outlet) and live for the next play. I believe Todd Haley has helped him take his overall game to another level and that he is learning and understanding how to get rid of the ball on time and on rhythm and how unstoppable that is with the weapons he has at his disposal. Ben has been deadly at times this year and here's to hoping he again ascends his game to all new heights, puts the team on his back and rides us and himself into legendary status. Let's go Steelers!!!! 1st up Baltimorons......let's open up a can of *** whoopin; on dose punks....

Last edited:

ianv2012

Reaction score
Ben is and always has been elite (even if the football pundits say otherwise)!!! He has that uncanny ability to make plays when there is nothing there and when everything breaks down is when he is at his best. He is also a QB that lives for those defining moments,those pressure packed moments in big games that separate boys from men and that ultimately decides the outcomes of those big games. I'm glad he finally has a stable O-Line a big, fast WR and is learning how to more frequently get rid of the ball on time or just take what the defense gives him (dumping it down to Leveon as the outlet) and live for the next play. I believe Todd Haley has helped him take his overall game to another level and that he is learning and understanding how to get rid of the ball on time and on rhythm and how unstoppable that is with the weapons he has at his disposal. Ben has been deadly at times this year and here's to hoping he again ascends his game to all new heights, puts the team on his back and rides us and himself into legendary status. Let's go Steelers!!!! 1st up Baltimorons......let's open up a can of *** whoopin; on dose punks....

Even though Ben deserves to be considered among the elite, he hasn't because he isn't the prototypical QB and he didn't always have the big stats. But I think what's great and what Ben always cared about most was the repuS lwoB wins. I remember when he was young in an interview I think it was the "hey rookie: welcome to the NFL" show where Ben said "At the end of my career I want to be considered the greatest QB ever with the most repuS lwoB rings". I think its always been about championships to him, and the individual accolades were never as important. He understood that what makes a QB legendary was how many championship wins he owns.

I think when Ben's career is done, that's when the media will respect him most. They will look back and consider him one of the best of all time, not the best but one of them. How he played, and the way he won will be appreciated when they look back and actually view all he accomplished, even statistically. Love Ben, and here's to hoping he continues to show why he has always been underrated by the media.

Go Steelers!

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Ben is very likely heading to the HOF regardless. his stats are really good and he will be in that solid second tier of greatness except with multiple lʍoq ɹǝdnS wins, significant post season stats, and an all time NFL highlight on his resume in the super bowl winning drive/throw.

the other thing is much as Elway did before him, he has become the elusive QB that all younger Big QBs in the same mold are compared to. his legend will expedite his HOF enterance when he is done, though some media guys may have to move on before he gets in...

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Ben's arm is better right now than manning, who cant make the sideline throws as well anymore... and Brady's... who is last in the league in deep ball passing for starters. Cutker and Flacco have two of the best arms in the league and they arent thought of in the same tier of any of those three.....

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Id also point out that if you are talking about all time greatest arms on a NFL QB to a group of NFL scouts, you would hear the name Jeff George... and he amounted to about what Cutler will probably amount to.. The arm is one piece of the puzzle for a QB....

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just trying to get out of Heinz Saturday night with a W first

steelermania

Reaction score
There are 5 guys who are elite. Brady and Manning stand at the top of this group, with Rogers, Ben, and Brees following. This is looking at the total career. Then there is the group that follows them. These are what I consider quality qbs. Some, like Luck, will soon join the elite group. Others won't quite make it. You can win championships with these guys if you have a good team around them. Luck, Romo, Flacco, Wilson, Rivers, and Eli. You then have 2 more groups, before you get to guys who are either unproven, washed up, or just not good enough. One group is younger guys who have shown some promise, but haven't broken through yet. These would include Newton, Stafford, Ryan, Kaepernick, and Dalton. All have led their teams to multiple postseasons, but haven't yet shown championship ability. The last group would be the journeyman starters. These guys are the veteran qbs who are never going to be elite, but aren't disasters like the guys in the bottom group. Historical examples would be guys like O'Donnell, Jeff Blake, Kyle Orton, and Alex Smith. You could also include older guys who came into the league with a lot of hype, but never really developed into elite qbs. Think Carson Palmer, or Jay Cutler.

Zack_of_Steel

Reaction score
Brees is better than Manning. Brady too, but that's closer. Brees has the regular season stats and he's been one of the best post season QBs ever. He's just not had a defense for 90% of his career. Peyton's a choker and Brady won all his rings with a stout defense while not being "the" guy at the time (also Spygate/audio cheating, if you believe that was an advantage). Rodgers, Brees, Ben, Brady <-- Elite

SteveA

Reaction score
STEELERMANIA & ZACK OF STEEL

I happen to agree with both of you, excellent points...Unfortunately, & wrongfully, the general public & consensus does not....

That's why this year is critical for Big Ben........But what a group of QB's we have been able to see in their prime huh? It is the Golden Age Of the Quarterback

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score

Ben's deep ball tends to hang with less velocity than what would be ideal, but that's insignificant compared to what he can do. Ben's arm strength when it comes to velocity on out routes and that 20-30 yard pass is as good as anyone's: EVER. He's among the top 10 QBs to ever play when it comes to accuracy throwing on the run. This is the first time in his career that he has played behind a quality OL with him being main weapon of offense (2004-2005 run first team). With adequate protection, buying into Haley's scheme and finally utilizing the RB as a option to check down to (thank you Le'Veon Bell) Roethlisberger is playing at a level that is capable of defeating any opponent any week....

This is his opportunity to really become Hall of Fame 1st ballot level

B

Blackstone

Bradshaw,Bert Jones,Jeff George, Sonny Jurgenson, Joe Gilliam, John Elway ,Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers off the top of my head had much better arms and threw the 20 to 30 yard out with much more velocity than Ben.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Bradshaw,Bert Jones,Jeff George, Sonny Jurgenson, Joe Gilliam, John Elway ,Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers off the top of my head had much better arms and threw the 20 to 30 yard out with much more velocity than Ben.

LOL...Thanks for the laugh.

B

Blackstone

You obviously never saw them play, Ben has a good arm but no where near the best ever even on the 20 or 30 yard outs the poster tried to claim. Bert Jones would laugh at Ben's out passes and Bradshaw had a howitzer that Ben was not in the same realm but back to defending all things Ben .

Wingman

Reaction score
Bradshaw's biggest flaw according to many was he lacked a touch pass. It was often said guys caught his passes out of sell defense as failing to do so would hurt. The hyperbole crowd woud say that you would get two more RAC yards even when hit due to the velocity on the ball.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

You went from comparing Ben from the best in the league to the best in the history of the game....again.... thanks for the laugh old timer.

SteveA

Reaction score
So 2 years later, Ben is now in the current top 3.....I personally do place him in the top 20 All-Time as of today....Because of TB's 4 rings I call it a dead heat with those 2 as the greatest Steeler QB. Terry's overall stats are rather pedestrian because of the style of play back then. But he was the original gunslinger..........

All this could change with some additional hardware for Ben. When all is said and done, I believe he could make top 10 all-time, but he will need additional trophies to get there.....

Bottom line is we are blessed to have him.......2-3 times in the last 2 years it really looked like he was done for the year only to make it back.....Legendary stuff.........

Here are some interesting All-Time stats:

Passing yards # 10---46,814
Touchdowns #9--------301
Interceptions #51------160 (Surprising huh, & seems like a lot more?) Man we are hard on him

Starting stats are only kept from 1978-present

#7 in wins @ 134-66
#6 win pct. @ .670 (min. 50 games)

# 7 Postseason in wins 11-6 .647 win pct.

All in all shaping up quite nicely.....More to be revealed

Last edited: