• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Terrible Towel etiquette

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So im thinking we should discuss the use of the Towel and accepted practices involving it:

#1 use of the towel for steelers games... Im fairly certain its ok to use it any time you go to the game in person, however in bars, parties and tailgates doyou think it should be used weekly or only for big games?

#2 use of the towel for other sporting events... We see it less now that every team has a rally towel.. But can one properly use it at a pirate penguin or college game?

#3 Towel maintenance... Wash it? Dont wash it? When does it get replaced?

#4 acceptable colors.. Any color, just the traditional yellow? What about pink?

#5 abuse... What is towel abuse? Is it just outward desecration? What about using it to wipeoff seats or clean up beer?

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score
1. Any type of Steelers event is acceptable use
2. Shouldn't be used at Pens or Pirates games in my opinion
3. No rule. I washed mine after the Cincy opener last week because I was at the game and it got soaked
4. Only gold at games/tailgates. At home you can collect the odd ones.
5. I throw mine alot during games. I wouldn't use it to clean up anything though.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Mine is used for playoff games only again after using it for a few regular seasons. It has never been washed and I don't know about when--if ever--I'll replace it. The gold Terrible Towel should be the only acceptable color, definitely no to pink. The Terrible Towel is always acceptable in away stadiums.

Steelerfreak

Reaction score
I think it can used for all steeler games.

As far as washing them, My favorite towel is one that was about 15 years old when i took it to the Divisional game in 2010 against the ravens. The big comeback, Its was my personal favorite game I ever attended. during that game, it got a lot of slush and dirt as it was a damp January day. Im never washing that one. Going to frame it dirt and all.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
1. The Towel should be used for all games (although it didn't help today).
2. Steeler games only. Everybody else has their own towel now anyway.
3. I wash mine occasionally but never after a win.
4. I have a yellow one, a black one, a 6 Time lowB repuS Champion one, and one in Italian with the Colosseum on it from the Steelers Bar in Rome, Italy. I'm not insensitive to breast cancer since my mom is a two-time survivor but the pink towel is an abomination.
5. I think it's okay to use your Towel to wipe off your seat at Heinz Field or beer but not for general cleaning purposes.

Of course it is mandatory to take your Towel when you travel and take pics in cool places with it.

TT_Pisa.jpg TT_Colosseum.jpg TT_Pompei.jpg

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
1. Use it at any venue during a game or rally
2. Steelers games only
3. Washing is up to user. I finally retired my first one (from the SB loss in the 90s).
4. Yellow is best. Black is ok some times. Black is great to put Steelers pins on in your mancave.
5. Use it as a trusted friend.

I never took mine out of my back pocket today until I got my wallet out from under it to pay the tab. We left in the third quarter.

Gareth

Reaction score
I have several display towels and one grungy game day towel. It has seen a lot of use. I have it on me any time I am watching the game. I only wave it at stadiums or during playoff or better games. The rest of the time it just hangs down and may get grasped for luck when a big play is needed.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So im thinking we should discuss the use of the Towel and accepted practices involving it:

#1 use of the towel for steelers games... Im fairly certain its ok to use it any time you go to the game in person, however in bars, parties and tailgates doyou think it should be used weekly or only for big games?
I say use it for anything STEELERS event. Some of us only get to the bar to watch. Treat it with respect, but USE it!!!

#2 use of the towel for other sporting events... We see it less now that every team has a rally towel.. But can one properly use it at a pirate penguin or college game?
STEELERS only type events. Let the others get / have their own.

#3 Towel maintenance... Wash it? Dont wash it? When does it get replaced?
Personal choice. I own about a dozen of them (never know when you may need one) I also give many away as presents. Sometimes grunge is IN.

Black is for display, STEELERS gold is for game activities. They (black) don't look nearly as good waving.

#5 abuse... What is towel abuse? Is it just outward desecration? What about using it to wipeoff seats or clean up beer?
[TREAT it with respect !!!! Wipe of a seat, yes. Wipe up beer spilt on yaz, yes. Never clean anything off the floor with it.[//QUOTE]

Common sense and respect is what's called for. Don't desecrate other team's stuff as you wouldn't want our team's stuff treated that way. To many thug like thinking for "JUST A GAME" . Entertainment sometimes at it's worst, especially as what the NFL is turning into.

Salute the nation

Last edited:

Ghost of Frenchy Fuqua

Reaction score
We have two TTs: An original from the early-to-mid '70s, and a Myron "re-make" from the early '90s.

If the Steelers are losing at the half, I'll place one at the base of the TV. I'll leave it there until the end of the game, no matter the outcome.

But Sunday, sensing the game was spiraling out of control, I broke from tradition and summoned the towel with about five minutes left in the first half. However, about midway through the third quarter, I gently folded it up and put it back into the drawer.

A related note: When I was writing for a Houston newspaper in the '80s, I found out that then-CNN sportscaster Vince Cellini was from Cleveland and is a diehard Browns fan. I poked fun at him over the next few weeks. Finally, he went for the Hail Mary to shut me up. He pretended to blow his nose into a Terrible Towel.

I let him know that it was the ultimate sacrilege. But still pretty funny.

Stewey

Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority, but man I love the Black towel over the yellow one by leaps and bounds.

Black is badass. Black is intimidating.
Black is what puts the "Terrible " into something as harmless as a towel.

Black for a towel is incredibly unique. In their homes people have blue towels, green, yellow, white, pink...what household has black towels?

Black is ridicule proof. You've heard it before from Steeler haters- 'Steeler fans waving their piss yellow towels' or "Heinz Field looks like a giant toilet bowl of unflushed urine"
How do you make fun of a black towel? You can't.
Cause its too badass.

Penn State has their "whiteout". A "blackout" at Heinz would be cool, especially when the Steelers are on the verge of a win. Its light out for the losing team baby.

The Towel should reflect the awesomeness of the black Steeler home jersey...not the friggin yellow pants.

For the life of me I cant figure out how the yellow towel is the favorite among the most hard working, toughest, take no **** from anyone Pittsburgh Steeler fan.
Can someone explain? I'll try my hardest to understand.

C'mon man which looks "terrible"?

terrible-towel-lynn-stallworth.jpg

Last edited:

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score
Penn State has their "whiteout". A "blackout" at Heinz would be cool, especially when the Steelers are on the verge of a win. Its light out for the losing team baby.

Eh. Nothing I love more than sitting at Heinz Field in January freezing my *** off with a ******* sea of gold terrible towels waving.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Eh. Nothing I love more than sitting at Heinz Field in January freezing my *** off with a ******* sea of gold terrible towels waving.

What makes it look cooler is almost everyone has one a black jersey or black jacket. Put the gold Terrible Towels out in front of that and it is an incredible sight.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

I use it a Steeler bars, at home, and at anyone's house watching the game.

The original towel doesn't say Steelers anywhere on it. Perfectly fine to use it at the Pens or Pirates games. Pitt games as well. Hell I also used it in Ireland to cheer on the Killkenny Cats in Hurling (they're the same color as the Steelers!)

#3 Towel maintenance... Wash it? Dont wash it? When does it get replaced? Wash it after each season after the Steelers play their last game.

I don't have a problem with any color used, but I prefer yellow, as it looks the best when swinging it in a stadium.

I use it for everything. Beer coozie, seat wiper, head shade, snot rag, napkin. The only abuse is cutting it, or an opposing fan taking it or disrespecting it.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I own three towels. Two are on display. My black towel and the myrone cope tribute towel. I have a traditional yellow gold used for waving and cheering. My dad has been inviting his Raider fan brother. So I'm contemplating on dipping my towel in my beer and using the towel sans nanchaku to smack my uncle when he acts a turd

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the born and raised yinzers know more about towel etiquette than us out of staters. So to all ya yinzers......show us the way

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
My towel rests unless im at a game in person. Maybe in the playoffs it comes out for help in a close game. .I retired my original towel after it made its third SB appearance in Dallas.. it's just so worn.

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score
I have like 4 or 5 towels, and I never use a specific one. Everyone is talking about their game towel. I don't even pay attention to what towel I grab on my way to the game. I just grab one.

chipped ham

Reaction score
We have two TTs: An original from the early-to-mid '70s, and a Myron "re-make" from the early '90s.

If the Steelers are losing at the half, I'll place one at the base of the TV. I'll leave it there until the end of the game, no matter the outcome.

But Sunday, sensing the game was spiraling out of control, I broke from tradition and summoned the towel with about five minutes left in the first half. However, about midway through the third quarter, I gently folded it up and put it back into the drawer.

A related note: When I was writing for a Houston newspaper in the '80s, I found out that then-CNN sportscaster Vince Cellini was from Cleveland and is a diehard Browns fan. I poked fun at him over the next few weeks. Finally, he went for the Hail Mary to shut me up. He pretended to blow his nose into a Terrible Towel.

I let him know that it was the ultimate sacrilege. But still pretty funny.

So basically, you cost us the game on Sunday and Cellini is the reason for the factory of sadness. The mojo speaks.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I have like 4 or 5 towels, and I never use a specific one. Everyone is talking about their game towel. I don't even pay attention to what towel I grab on my way to the game. I just grab one.

You need to shape up and use the lucky towel. Cmon..

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
My towel rests unless im at a game in person. Maybe in the playoffs it comes out for help in a close game. .I retired my original towel after it made its third SB appearance in Dallas.. it's just so worn.

We take two to the game when we go, otherwise they are draped on the TV stand during games.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll also wear a towel during the preseason on game day, but I don't twirl it until the regular season starts.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
I have multiple towels. My orginal 2 were cheap knockoffs, they serve as dust covers on my entertainment center. I bought an official towel when i went to the next to last game at 3 rivers . . .this is my "game" towel. I use it at games, at the bar and at home. I often take it with me when i travel in case there is something cool take a picture of it with. I also have 4 commerative towels that are wall decorations around my house.

As far as etiquette, at the bar me and the other guys follow these rules: Twirl the towel after scoring plays, turnovers and game- changing plays. After 1 point conversions we hold the towel up and shake it. 2 point conversions we hold the towel up and shaking while moving it in circles. We follow these rules to try to not be overly obnoxious to the other fans, unless they start crying like Bengal fans, then its on!

When at a game live, all rules all off, let em rip. I only wash mine if something specific happens like spilling a beer on it. Caught an ex-gf dusting with it once, she became an ex in that moment.

Last edited:

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score