• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

SuperBowl in the Burgh in 2023?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think Pittsburgh is perfectly capable of hosting a large event with its compact size. It has its issues, but so have other cities to have hosted a Super Bowl and some of these cities will get the game again. With that said, if I'm spending thousands of dollars to travel, I want to go somewhere that's over 60 degrees in the middle of January or February.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
all the construction I know they are working towards it , the city will be a mess traffic wise when it comes to pass.................

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm getting flamed on their FB page for saying that we don't have the transportation infrastructure or enough hotel rooms or enough seating and the stadium isn't covered. Will. Never. Happen.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm getting flamed on their FB page for saying that we don't have the transportation infrastructure or enough hotel rooms or enough seating and the stadium isn't covered. Will. Never. Happen.

Detroit hosted a Super Bowl. No way Pittsburgh would be worse when it comes to transportation.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

they are planning to build plenty of hotels so thinking that won't be a issue...but yeah the seating is barely adequate...not sure what they will do there...

and any event the traffic is nauseating, that amount of people?

I can only be thankful I will be working at home by then....

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Absolutely no... As someone who already spends an hour traveling to work because our road system blows let me say we absolutely cannot handle this.... Its a mistake.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Detroit hosted a Super Bowl. No way Pittsburgh would be worse when it comes to transportation.

Their stadium has a dome.
Lookit, for the most part the cities that host SB's are 1) South, 2) domed, and 3) in resort cities where they are used to hosting a lot of people. I used to have a part-time job in ground transportation at the airport and just college students coming back to school and the Furry Convention would pack everything up.

Last edited:

Stoney

Reaction score
Couldn't find a better football city.

That said: Infrastructure issues aside, I'm not a fan of cold weather cities for the SB.

swal75

Reaction score
I feel like there aren't enough seats to host. Ideally as many people should be able to go to the game as possible.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The roads are a tough issue, especially getting through the tunnels. With that said, people will stay in rooms all the way to Cleveland if they want to try and hold hotel rooms as an obstacle. I remember the SB in Tampa and I lived in Orlando. The rooms in and around Tampa were all booked. People were staying in Orlando and many other cities in Florida and driving in to the game.

I am all for having it in the best sports town in the country. It doesn't get any better than Pittsburgh. They have already decided to have SB's in cold weather cities, so Pittsburgh should be at the top of the list.

Xc944

Reaction score
not going to happen after the jax Super Bowl and the issues they had there the nfl won't be going back to the same issues. pitt has those same issues

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
The roads are a tough issue, especially getting through the tunnels. With that said, people will stay in rooms all the way to Cleveland if they want to try and hold hotel rooms as an obstacle. I remember the SB in Tampa and I lived in Orlando. The rooms in and around Tampa were all booked. People were staying in Orlando and many other cities in Florida and driving in to the game.
Sure people will stay as far away as Cleveland if they have to (Monroeville will be far enough actually) but by the time they get to Heinz Field the game will be over. Tampa, Orlando, most resort cities have roads that are 6 to 10 lanes wide. Every road into and out of Pittsburgh is 2 lanes each way, max. Because of the hills, rivers, tunnels, and bridges, you can't fix that. Ever.
I get that the stadium sells out now and Sunday traffic isn't horrible but with a SB you have a lot more than just spectators, you have more media, sponsors, events, hookers, etc.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm all for it, provided if the STEELERS don't make or aren't in it, then we can cancel.....................

Salute the nation

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score

totally correct.. and nobody wants to go to a cold weather superbowl anyway.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Their stadium has a dome.
Lookit, for the most part the cities that host SB's are 1) South, 2) domed, and 3) in resort cities where they are used to hosting a lot of people. I used to have a part-time job in ground transportation at the airport and just college students coming back to school and the Furry Convention would pack everything up.

Again, I just mentioned transportation. It was simply awful as they couldn't even organize a simple busing system to get people back to their cars. But the NFL shouldn't even mess around with cold weather cities, including those with a dome.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not going to happen.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Are they planning on tearing down Heinz field and replacing it, probably what it would take to host SB. Dome, southern, resorting or new structures are how SB bids are awarded.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Football was build on cold weather, all weather play. The teams that are involved from cold weather areas always have a disadvantage to any high flying offense in the big game, that's not what people like Lambeau had in mind when they were part of the game. I see all the excuses, and I say **** that, I want a SuperBowl in Pittsburgh.

Joe

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As far as the arguement for cold weather or warm weather super bowls, I think every NFL city should get an opertunity to host one. I know logistics would never let that happen as the nfl is a;ll about the "BUcK" . As said, high flying offenses have a huge advantage. Rotating the SB would equal that out.

Salute the nation

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe they're going to get it. They already have the hotel rooms. Traffic sucks no matter where you go. By 2023 they'll have two more parking garages built.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I believe they're going to get it. They already have the hotel rooms. Traffic sucks no matter where you go. By 2023 they'll have two more parking garages built.

They don't have the hotel rooms... the estimates they give include hotels all the way down to wheeling and Weirton IIRC, and that is assuming that no other event is scheduled anywhere.... hell fracking starts back up and there wont be half enough hotel rooms in the area... they are stretching things to make it look better than it is... places like Detroit and Jacksonville who did similar things ended up being rather bad overall experiences... then they will be trying to Jerrah Jones the Stadium as well... its just a terribad idea