• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers to sign Kevin White Jr...

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/08/cb-kevin-white-jr-sign-steelers/

In a move related to the Senquez Golson’s injury, the Pittsburgh Steelers are slated to sign cornerback Kevin White Jr.

His agent, Blake Baratz, hinted at it on Twitter earlier today.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
SB bound!!!!!!!!!

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Championship!!!

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad to see a reaction. Was there better out there,.........yes. Cheaper,........yes. Worse.........yes, more expensive........yes.

Salute the nation

Chicoman

Reaction score
I don't know much about this kid but in this clip I see two things.....Also he's small but seems to play bigger than his size....not afraid to hit someone.

Watch this clip at the 4:17 mark you will be he gets completely toasted by Bryce Petty of Baylor and the ball was under thrown......the WR had to sit and wait and Kevin White still couldn't catch up. However then at the 5 min mark he makes a nice break on the ball for the INT. At the 6 min 55 sec mark he gets beat quickly and is called for Pass Interference....pretty ugly call to boot not to mention gives up a TD on the next play and is called for Pass Interference again.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
not what I was hoping for.............

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, he's a camp body and nothing more. Still think there has to be a veteran out there they can get for a year or two to help out. Maybe after final cut downs.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, he's a camp body and nothing more. Still think there has to be a veteran out there they can get for a year or two to help out. Maybe after final cut downs.

Antonio Cramartie, I wonder what his cost would be and does he still have anything to offer in play ability???

Salute the nation

skline00

Reaction score
Let's look at the positive things. Kevin White is @ 2" taller and nearly 10lbs heavier. He recently played at TCU where it seems everybody in that league is run and gun so he's surely had practice running all over the field and it gives us some immediate depth.

Let's face fact we probably are going to be weak again in the defensive secondary so bringing him in now allows a nearly full training camp for him.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I liked what I saw out of White at the senior bowl. He's a competitor. The negative is he's small ( 5'9 tall ) and for a CB, very slow so he's more of a zone only type of NFL player.

PRO DAY RESULTS
40-yard dash: 4.62 and 4.66 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbvRBVOCfdc

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
We'll see how he fares soon. Maybe get some much needed reps in pre season game #1. I've seen him play a couple for TCU. He looked decent

GarrettG

Reaction score
FWIW, thehuddlereport.com liked him coming out:

Kevin White CB TCU
TALENT BOARD ROUND 2
STRENGTHS
Kevin reminds me a lot of Cleveland Browns cornerback Joe Haden. He has excellent technique playing in both man-to-man coverage and in zone coverage. He is a stout corner who is an excellent tackler. Opponents can’t run a sweep or a screens to his side of the field because once he identifies the play, he is like a heat seeking missile bursting to the player and making a wrap up, head up, squeeze and drive tackle that will strip a player from the ball if he doesn’t hold on to it as tightly as he can. Kevin plays bigger than his size because of his strength, his technique, his football intelligence and instincts. He understands what his opponent most likely will do on any given down and distance against him. He has the quick twitch, quick feet and hip flip that you look for in a cornerback to stay with his man on those deep passes. Kevin is excellent at using the sidelines to help him defend those bigger receivers; and, because of his upper and lower body strength, is solid at the bump and run techniques that most NFL cornerbacks use consistently. Kevin has the leadership skills and that football player savvy you look for in a player and I would draft him on my team any time.

CONCERNS
Kevin is vertically challenged and some teams will not look at drafting him until the later rounds. Those teams that do that are making a big mistake because this kid can play.

BOTTOM LINE
Teams that insist on a certain size/speed ratio in the players they are looking at in a draft are the teams that will pass on drafting Kevin. That’s just the way some GM’s and coaches are. Those teams over the years usually fall into that trap and miss on drafting a lot of very good players. Me personally, I want football players and I expect a coach to coach to a player’s talents. Of course we all know that’s a perfect world and no one is perfect, so to compensate, most teams will draft with size/speed ratio as a main guideline and then draft the players who don’t fit that system later in the draft. This is why there are so many busts in the first round of the draft every year. Teams will draft a player with the specified size, speed and athletic talent over the players with less measureables but really know how to play the game. It’s a mystery to me! Will Kevin be an impact player? All I can say is… he will become a core player with the leadership skills to be a coach on the field. Kevin will be the type of player year after year GM’s and coaches will try to replace with a bigger, faster player. But I suspect that won’t happen.

xjx

Reaction score
He is too small.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
At five foot nine inches he will fit in well with our Oompa Loompa defensive backfield.

P

POP

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/kevin-white?id=2552443

Guys, he offers a small body (5-9) with the addition of being slow. (4.6 forty).

All in all, he will get beaten like a drum by NFL quality WRs.

In other words, we will be terrible if he ever takes the field come the regular season.

I doubt he will make the final 53.

Is Leon Hall still out there? This is a year with legit Super Bowl hopes. Why not sign someone who can actually play?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I would be ok with trying KW in the slot, but if he is too slow to react those smaller quicker WRs will eat him up.

Just a camp body until proven otherwise...........

P

POP

I would be ok with trying KW in the slot, but if he is too slow to react those smaller quicker WRs will eat him up.

Just a camp body until proven otherwise...........

It sounds like he gets eaten alive by fast guys. A 4.6 guy going against 4.4 guys.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like he gets eaten alive by fast guys. A 4.6 guy going against 4.4 guys.

supossedly he has those quick feet like super mario bros

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
is challanger to Grant I dont see him making it I see the 8 DB's dressing every sunday
Gay
Cockrell
burns
Grant
Mitchell
Davis
Golden
Ventrone

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Yeah Antwon Blake with a few less burn marks on his back, only due to lack of chances to be burned. Underwhelming and totally unexcited about this move, he's a Steeler for a minute tho...so best of luck kid