• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Seeking ‘Mobile’ Quarterback

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
It's pretty much impossible to excel at both running and passing. It ain't genetically possible to have them kinda skillz. It's like walking and chewing gum. I don't know anyone that can do both simultaneously and at a high level.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
And I meant that in the best way too. He really had some wheels and good hands. I was really bummed he didn't at least give it a try. He was certainly exciting to watch and athletically gifted. I felt bad for him at the end with all of the bs rumors people put out.

There was a point in time early on, when it seemed clear the rest of the NFL didn't know *what* to do with Kordell Stewart. He was a different breed of a QB, unlike much of anything the league has seen before. Kept defensive coordinators up at night. It didn't pan out the way it could have, and things fell apart after a while, but there was a time he was the most electrifying player on the field, for either team.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think inaccurate passers who can't read defenses have ever had an era where they've thrived.
Lamar would like a word with you. Now winning championships you had me at hello.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Is Najee a GM candidate?

I don't want any part of my dear Watson. It really is elementary.. he is up to his ankle and elbows in deep ****.. They thought Ben's few allegations were bad... I am not even sure how the guy sports a uniform again...

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't want any part of my dear Watson. It really is elementary.. he is up to his ankle and elbows in deep ****.. They thought Ben's few allegations were bad... I am not even sure how the guy sports a uniform again...
Have they brought criminal charges against him? I haven't followed the **** storm because he isn't a Steeler. But, if they haven't brought criminal charges after a year, you got to wonder how much of it is "real" and how much is "opportunism/extortion".

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Have they brought criminal charges against him? I haven't followed the **** storm because he isn't a Steeler. But, if they haven't brought criminal charges after a year, you got to wonder how much of it is "real" and how much is "opportunism/extortion".
That is a pretty big scheme if true.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
There was a point in time early on, when it seemed clear the rest of the NFL didn't know *what* to do with Kordell Stewart. He was a different breed of a QB, unlike much of anything the league has seen before. Kept defensive coordinators up at night. It didn't pan out the way it could have, and things fell apart after a while, but there was a time he was the most electrifying player on the field, for either team.
Are you kidding? Steve Young came before Kordell and he was equally a threat with both his arm and legs. Not quite as fast as korky, but pretty damn fast.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Are you kidding? Steve Young came before Kordell and he was equally a threat with both his arm and legs. Not quite as fast as korky, but pretty damn fast.

Was Steve Young a weapon in the open field, like a RB or WR, with the ball in his hands? Probably faster than any other dude on the field? I get what you're saying, but back in the day, Kordell was a different breed altogether.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Was Steve Young a weapon in the open field, like a RB or WR, with the ball in his hands? Probably faster than any other dude on the field? I get what you're saying, but Kordell was a different breed altogether.
Yes he was a weapon in the open. No he wasn't a WR like Korky, but he was a hell of a QB with a great arm and touch. That dude gave DCs nightmares, Korky after his confidence fell off was not much of a passing threat, but I hear you as far as Kordell being quicker.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
That is a pretty big scheme if true.
Ehh, not really. Just takes one to get it started and then the rest to jump on. Not saying that's what happened. Only that it's possible ... and as far as I know, no criminal charges have been filed.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I have a feeling that we may see a Mitch Trubisky or Marriott’s brought in as a stop gap.
I hope the hell it is Mitch Trubisky. The guy has a strong arm and has the mobility you look for in todays QB. No, he’s not run first. He needs a new opportunity with some good skill players which we have some but we still need a number one receiver. This guy can play and I think could be a big upgrade over the two mooks we have now.
Mariotta I’d stay away from. Has injury history and never was sold on him.
Trubisky played pretty well in Chicago making the pro bowl once and playoffs twice with a crappy team and coaching. He’s worth taking a chance on.

Chicoman

Reaction score
The only truly mobile QB who has ever won a SuperBowl would be Russell Wilson in 2014 and that had more to do with Seattle's Defense than Russell Wilson.

Mobile QB's might seem like the future for QB's however when it comes down to it you've got to be able to stand in the pocket and throw the damn football downfield when it matters most! Mobile QB's are nothing but a FAD....they will never be able to deliver a victory when it matters most when they can't throw a football downfield. It's best to get a pocket passer who has mobility....ala Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rogers. Mobility is important but pocket passing ability is more critical.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope the hell it is Mitch Trubisky. The guy has a strong arm and has the mobility you look for in todays QB. No, he’s not run first. He needs a new opportunity with some good skill players which we have some but we still need a number one receiver. This guy can play and I think could be a big upgrade over the two mooks we have now.
Mariotta I’d stay away from. Has injury history and never was sold on him.
Trubisky played pretty well in Chicago making the pro bowl once and playoffs twice with a crappy team and coaching. He’s worth taking a chance on.
Listening to Arty Jr speak today, made me think this is possibly the direction. I would take either over Rudy or Haskins. Might not be overpriced as far as cap hits are concerned and wouldn’t have to give up valuable draft capital. I am intrigued more by Trubisky with this offense. Plus that last name saunds like he’s from Dormont

Last edited:

Steelers1356

Reaction score
By mobile I hope ARTII means a QB who's shifty and evasive in the pocket, because the running QB's get banged up and don't usually last the whole season.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Art is 5 years too late. NFL defenses have adjusted. Look at who’s still in the playoffs. Passing QB’s. The Vicks, RG3’s and Jacksons are flash in the pans. If we want a mobile QB better be a pass first and only runs under duress.
That’s always the case with this team… built a defense to try and stop the pass, after being destroyed by Brady year after year, bush was suppose to help toward that end, but the other teams were investing heavily in running the ball so now were are back behind the 8ball trying to figure out how to stop the run with the personnel we have. We haven’t innovated anything since tomlin has been here, not on offense not on defense.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I get that with Watson, just very telling that none of the Steelers are talking about Mason being the QB. Tomlin said Mason and Haskins will compete. No one in the organization believes in either of these guys and it'll be very interesting to see who the third (and hopefully better) option will be.