• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers open contract talks with Timmons and AB

Supersteeler

Reaction score
He's a huge liability in the passing game, that's very obvious, if we use him on passing downs again, be prepared to be NE's ***** again.

Yeah he's a liability in coverage....when they insist on having him cover WR's all over the field. When he gets beat, take a look at who he's normally trying to cover. It's not usually lumbering TE's and FB's. He is usually mismatched from the get go trying to cover guys that run freakin sub 4.5 40's. . I can't understand he always gets those match ups. Multiple WR sets I reckon.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
LOL @ the idea that using Timmons on passing downs is the catalyst to being NE's *****. We will be their ***** again, and this will be pretty far down the list of reasons why

Well this thread is mainly about Timmons, I never said he was the only or main liability vs NE.
He can't run with RBs anymore either.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Yeah he's a liability in coverage....when they insist on having him cover WR's all over the field. When he gets beat, take a look at who he's normally trying to cover. It's not usually lumbering TE's and FB's. He is usually mismatched from the get go trying to cover guys that run freakin sub 4.5 40's. . I can't understand he always gets those match ups. Multiple WR sets I reckon.
If you were the opposing coach and you knew Timmons doesnt come off the field on passing downs, wouldn't you attempt to get that match up?

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
If you were the opposing coach and you knew Timmons doesnt come off the field on passing downs, wouldn't you attempt to get that match up?

Really though...shouldn't you blame the coaches for putting Timmons in those situations?

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
2 years 7.5 mill, in the nickel put him at olb and davis as a rover lb/s next to shazier
brown 3 yrs 45 mill 13 mill SB with bous can be worth 16 mill.

restructure ben mitchell and pouncey

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I'm sure there are other teams with a slow LB and I wonder why our coaches don't try to get the similar match ups you describe........

Salute the nation

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Unless they go dime and add another CB or S on to the field what LB on the team right now can do better?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He's a huge liability in the passing game, that's very obvious, if we use him on passing downs again, be prepared to be NE's ***** again.

May be a liability in coverage but no where near as much as one of our OLB's or even D-linemen dropping into coverage.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
May be a liability in coverage but no where near as much as one of our OLB's or even D-linemen dropping into coverage.
Can't disagree there.

obxsteeler

Reaction score
There have been a few people underrating Timmons since he came into the league. Fortunately none have been the Steeler coaching staff. I don't think 114 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 2 int's and a forced fumble is too shabby. Maybe you want someone who can cover backs like the Falcons did in the SB or like our opponents did against Bell this year. I sure hope we do get him signed.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Our coaches just need to pull him off the field on passing downs. He was a beast other than that!

ark steel

Reaction score
For the "coaches" need to pull him crowd, in general, I agree, when possible, it should be done. One of the main reasons team go no-huddle or run the quick offenses is so that players cannot be substituted. The O does not have to allow the D time for substitution unless they make their own substitutions. It may not, always, be possible to pull him on passing downs. If they didn't call a too many men on the field penalty when the guy is clearly leaving the field and has no effect on the play, it would be entirely different.

If you were running the offense, would you give the D time?

nitsuj1225

Reaction score
Our coaches just need to pull him off the field on passing downs. He was a beast other than that!

He's fine if he's blitzing up the middle on passing downs or just covering a zone across the middle. It's when he has to run with WR's, RB's, and faster TE's man to man when we have issues.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Brown's contract will be at least 5 years and Timmons will get more like 3 yrs 20 mil than the 4 mil per year people are
discussing.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I want them to sign Timmons but NOT for almost $7 million per year on a 3 year contract. I can see Brown getting a 4 year deal with a 5th year team option.

ark steel

Reaction score
I want them to sign Timmons but NOT for almost $7 million per year on a 3 year contract. I can see Brown getting a 4 year deal with a 5th year team option.

I wouldn't whine a whole lot with $7 for next year, but in the following two years only with incentive based results and much lower base pays. Whether they resign Timmons or not, they NEED to be verifying that Williams will be ready to take over within 2 years with Timmons less active or be drafting/signing someone who can.

$4m is, probably, too low. $7m (maybe even $6m) is too high

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't whine a whole lot with $7 for next year, but in the following two years only with incentive based results and much lower base pays. Whether they resign Timmons or not, they NEED to be verifying that Williams will be ready to take over within 2 years with Timmons less active or be drafting/signing someone who can.

$4m is, probably, too low. $7m (maybe even $6m) is too high

4.5-5mill would be OK in my book but I don't have a degree in caprology.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd offer him 4 to 5 million for 2 years with a 3rd year option to see if he wants to retire a Steeler. Give him half as a signing bonus.

ZACKB

Reaction score
That's about it 4-5 mil, 2-3 yr deal

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
You could see Timmons getting a 9 million signing bonus and salaries of like 2mil, 4 mil, 5 mil. That way if he
drops off in performance you let him go in the 3rd year and save the salary.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You could see Timmons getting a 9 million signing bonus and salaries of like 2mil, 4 mil, 5 mil. That way if he
drops off in performance you let him go in the 3rd year and save the salary.

That still seems way too much. Back that signing bonus to $5 million and I might be OK with it. And, I think that would be more than a fare offer for him.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Vince Williams contract from www.overthecap.com:
Total Value: $5,500,000 (avg. $2,750,000/year; $1,500,000 fully guaranteed)
19th highest of 102 ILB contracts
It ends after 2018 season, so it worries me that if we re-sign Timmons Vince will be becoming a FA when Timmons retires

Seriously, if Timmons wants more than 7M/2Y he can get it somewhere else, Vince is already in the books and earning good enough for a #2 ILB. We can't afford that money (Vince) in the bench, unless Timmon plays time @ OLB and then he'd be helping the team in two positions