• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers offensive sit down should end with that Eagle game version of a shitshow.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
What makes it appear they are doing anything but? Well, maybe they just aren't any good.

I agree with you on the injury thing. Nowhere did I say they need to play Ben and so on. But are our guys fighting for roster spots that much worse than the Lions or Eagles? Or is it something else?

Why risk them? These are not established players. Did Jarvis Jones or Dupree morph into James Harrison or something? Hell, with those two, I don't even know if I am risking anything. How do you know what you are risking when they don't even ******' practice?

Because they have injuries. If they aren't practicing which we have deemed more important then preseason games why play them in the games.. They are No 1 picks including Burns. While it's disappointing not seeing them particularly Dupree and Burns. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

We have an established coaching staff. Wins and losses are not that important. They are trying to identify depth on this team. If we win by doing so great if not whatever. We have a bigger prize we are trying to get to.

diver

Reaction score
Because they have injuries. If they aren't practicing which we have deemed more important then preseason games why play them in the games.. They are No 1 picks including Burns. While it's disappointing not seeing them particularly Dupree and Burns. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

We have an established coaching staff. Wins and losses are not that important. They are trying to identify depth on this team. If we win by doing so great if not whatever. We have a bigger prize we are trying to get to.

That's part of what I am saying. These guys can't even practice. So what I am partly trying to say is they went to Latrobe with probably a number of objectives. Unless I am crazy, one would think the top 3 were secondary, OLB pressure, and the TE position. They are absolutely no closer to an answer in any of those areas then they were on July 27. In fact, they might be further away. So that is frustrating. I am not blaming anyone for that, it happens. But then you compound that with what I feel is lousy play by those guys fighting for roster spots, it just pisses me off. Now, for the cherry, the idiot Bell gets three games. As I get older I find it harder and harder to root for this team. And dammit Ant, you know me a bit from my posts. You know I am a pretty positive guy. I have never gone off half cocked blaming Tomlin and stuff. I think the guy is a excellent coach. But right now I think he is doing a lousy job.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
That's part of what I am saying. These guys can't even practice. So what I am partly trying to say is they went to Latrobe with probably a number of objectives. Unless I am crazy, one would think the top 3 were secondary, OLB pressure, and the TE position. They are absolutely no closer to an answer in any of those areas then they were on July 27. In fact, they might be further away. So that is frustrating. I am not blaming anyone for that, it happens. But then you compound that with what I feel is lousy play by those guys fighting for roster spots, it just pisses me off. Now, for the cherry, the idiot Bell gets three games. As I get older I find it harder and harder to root for this team. And dammit Ant, you know me a bit from my posts. You know I am a pretty positive guy. I have never gone off half cocked blaming Tomlin and stuff. I think the guy is a excellent coach. But right now I think he is doing a lousy job.

Ok diver how can you blame the coaches for injuries to Golson and Burns.. I mean those are the reason stated goals aren't being met in your opinion.

Same with the OLB position.. Jones and Dupree are your starters and they have to produce in the regular season. I don't know what getting sacks in the preseason would mean if it didn't carry over to the regular season. Those two must produce when the lights come on.

Just don't see what you are looking for right now.

Health seems to be the goal. Health kept this team from going further and the coaches seemed to be using the preseason as a way to stay healthy

diver

Reaction score
Ok diver how can you blame the coaches for injuries to Golson and Burns.. I mean those are the reason stated goals aren't being met in your opinion.

Same with the OLB position.. Jones and Dupree are your starters and they have to produce in the regular season. I don't know what getting sacks in the preseason would mean if it didn't carry over to the regular season. Those two must produce when the lights come on.

Just don't see what you are looking for right now.

Health seems to be the goal. Health kept this team from going further and the coaches seemed to be using the preseason as a way to stay healthy

I am not blaming coaches for injuries. I clearly stated that, at least I thought I did by saying, "I am not blaming anyone for that." But I also believe this. If this is 1974, 1989, 1994 or something those guys are practicing. They need to suck it up and practice. I know you are going to say I don't know their injuries. OK. They are out there running around in shorts. Put on a uniform, man up and practice. I blame the coaches for creating an atmosphere in which you get a little ding and you are out for 2 weeks.

So are you saying with Jones and Dupree that they do not have to practice their craft? Two guys who really have not produced much? So all of the sudden they are going to go out there, with no practice or practice games and produce the pressure needed? What I meant more about carrying over to the season is how many times have we seen an offense (the Eagles last year) light it up in the preseason and then go flat once the regular season begins? I do think individual work is different, though.

What I am looking for is aggressive play by the 2nd and 3rd string guys, and I don't see it. Missed tackles all over the place. Stupid picks. Lackadasical routes. Maybe they just aren't any good, who knows.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I am not blaming coaches for injuries. I clearly stated that, at least I thought I did by saying, "I am not blaming anyone for that." But I also believe this. If this is 1974, 1989, 1994 or something those guys are practicing. They need to suck it up and practice. I know you are going to say I don't know their injuries. OK. They are out there running around in shorts. Put on a uniform, man up and practice. I blame the coaches for creating an atmosphere in which you get a little ding and you are out for 2 weeks.

So are you saying with Jones and Dupree that they do not have to practice their craft? Two guys who really have not produced much? So all of the sudden they are going to go out there, with no practice or practice games and produce the pressure needed? What I meant more about carrying over to the season is how many times have we seen an offense (the Eagles last year) light it up in the preseason and then go flat once the regular season begins? I do think individual work is different, though.

What I am looking for is aggressive play by the 2nd and 3rd string guys, and I don't see it. Missed tackles all over the place. Stupid picks. Lackadasical routes. Maybe they just aren't any good, who knows.

Lol I don't know what to tell you Diver. I wish they were practicing too. But they are not. Just hope whatever is ailing them that they can go on Sept 12. And they better produce

diver

Reaction score
Lol I don't know what to tell you Diver. I wish they were practicing too. But they are not. Just hope whatever is ailing them that they can go on Sept 12. And they better produce

I know, brother. It's just frustration, I guess. I look at the whole endeavor at St. Vincent as a colossal waste of time. Seeing how they didn't accomplish what I think would be the main things for whatever reason compounded by their play.

Look, I hope I am dead wrong. And please, call me out if I am. I want to be wrong. This just distressingly feels like 2013 when before you even got into the season, they were 0-4.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I know, brother. It's just frustration, I guess. I look at the whole endeavor at St. Vincent as a colossal waste of time. Seeing how they didn't accomplish what I think would be the main things for whatever reason compounded by their play.

Look, I hope I am dead wrong. And please, call me out if I am. I want to be wrong. This just distressingly feels like 2013 when before you even got into the season, they were 0-4.

Definitely won't call you out.. You no way deserve that. I save that for the know it all's

P

POP

I like Tomlin. But the job he is doing right now sucks. He is setting a bad tone.

This isn't the 1991 Buffalo Bills or something. They were notoriously bad in the preseason in those years. But they had been to back to back Super Bowls. This team has done nothing.

I hope I am wrong, but I think it is going to be a long September.

I can cope, if Nov and Dec. are humming and we are peaking at the right time.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
id preserve my best weapons that win me games the best I could. It's toward the end of the season and a into the playoffs (if we're lucky)we need health and zest most. Being smart about not working your core players to death in meaningless games that really are a joke is a good thing.It's just practice for rookies.

diver

Reaction score
It is great to get hot later, I agree. But, if you aren't careful and lose a game or two you shouldn't early, when you make the playoffs you are in New England or Denver.

With their history against the Pats, how confident would you be in them at home, let alone on the road.

And again, I am fine with sitting guys like Ben, Antonio and so forth. You know what you will get. But, while I know they have some boo boos,nobody knows with Jarvis or Dupree, for example. Or Burns. Or Green. They need to be at least practicing. They are running around in shorts. It would be different if they weren't running around in shorts. Man up, put your suit on, ignore it and practice. Do they think they are going to feel perfect once the season starts?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
All the preseason is showing me (us) is the team has a lack of depth. My really only true concerns are LT and how Villanueva does not look good, James looks decent but I see why Green was signed minus the whole concussion issue that should have been addressed before signing. Backup QB is going to be a huge issue if Ben goes down.

BURGHBOY

Forefather
Reaction score
Well after hearing the news about LeVeon's suspension....I say he should play these last 2 games. Give a little taste of what we may see after his suspension is up. At least give him a small taste of game action since he won't see any in September.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben doesn't need preseason reps. Landry Jones does. ........and that may pay off later.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Labriola on reacting to 0-2 preseason

In hindsight, the result was so very predictable. The clues were all right there in black and white on the first page of the game summary, under the heading "Did Not Play."

For the second straight week of this month-long preseason, Coach Mike Tomlin made a tactical decision involving his offensive stars, and for the second straight week of this month-long preseason the Steelers offense reacted to his decision in the only way it could. Among the names listed under the heading "Did Not Play" were Ben Roethlisberger, Markus Wheaton, Le'Veon Bell, DeAngelo Williams, Roosevelt Nix, Marcus Gilbert, Ladarius Green, and Antonio Brown.

Some of them are injured and others are too valuable to risk in the games that get played in August, but if you want to know why the Steelers were shut out by the Philadelphia Eagles, 17-0, at Heinz Field last night, just skip back to the above paragraph and re-read those names. Winning in the NFL is accomplished by having the better players on any given Sunday and Monday and Thursday, and the guys who give the Steelers a real chance to have the better players on any given Sunday and Monday and Thursday were spectators last night.

Landry Jones can expect to be roasted on social media by fans incensed over the four interceptions he threw, the first of which was returned for an Eagles touchdown, while two more came in the end zone on plays that could have ended as Steelers touchdowns. Maybe it doesn't matter that Sammie Coates may have run a sloppy route on the one, and Jesse James couldn't control the pass-rusher he was assigned to block on another. Or maybe that sounds too much like excuse-making.

Everyone is entitled to choose a villain, and if pinning it all on Landry Jones helps you get through this, have at it. The Steelers couldn't overcome the turnovers and the end result was yet another preseason loss in yet another difficult to watch three-hour block of live television.

When it was over, Coach Mike Tomlin recited what so many in his job have said in similar situations. About how this can be a teaching tool, and that there were some positives floating in the sea of negativity, but that the turnover total trumped it all, as it always does. In that respect, football is a very simple game. Lose the battle of the turnovers, and losing the game follows right along more often than not.

But going back to the first page of the game summary, up there in the top left corner is this: "Date: Thursday 8/18/2016." That can explain a lot, too.

The 2016 Steelers are going to have to be a team that relies on its stars, especially the ones on offense who are proven veterans and have the added benefit of working together as a unit for some years. Tomlin has chosen to protect those stars through this stretch of August football, and the tactic easily can be defended. The Steelers' stated goal is to compete for a championship, and that doesn't have a chance to happen over the next several months without major contributions from those offensive stars throughout the regular season.

It might be different if any of those stars had arrived at training camp planning to utilize the time at Saint Vincent College to get their body into shape for professional football. It might be different if they hadn't looked consistently sharp in those daily practices on campus. But that isn't what happened, and that isn't their truth.

That brings the narrative to the midway point of a preseason in which watching the Steelers lose back-to-back home games to the Lions and the Eagles has been some combination of frustrating and annoying. The offense has been incompetent. The defense unable to make plays on the ball. And special teams already allowed a kickoff return for a touchdown. What are they going to do about this?

A goodly portion should take care of itself, what with rosters to be cut almost in half in less than three weeks. Game-planning will help some, too. But any belief that cutting some guys and devising a game plan alone are all that stand between these Steelers and competing for a championship is pie-in-the-sky.

The offense still needs more consistency from some of the younger players who are going to be counted upon this season, and the defense will not be able to fulfill its potential if the injured No. 1 draft picks - Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree, and Artie Burns - don't return to practice soon and don't start stacking practices in a manner allowing them to accelerate their development.

The rest of this preseason can be utilized for that, to provide more playing experience for Jesse James and Sammie Coates and Alejandro Villanueva. To get Burns and Dupree and Jones back on the field. To provide more clarity for Tomlin and General Manager Kevin Colbert as they make decisions on the shaping of the initial 53-man roster. To give the defense time to determine who fits where and then provide the opportunity for all of those whos to develop a feel for playing as a unit.

Use the rest of this preseason for that. Just leave those offensive stars where they are. Under the heading "Did Not Play."