• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers offensive sit down should end with that Eagle game version of a shitshow.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I get it the D needed more reps as the O WAS more explosive last season.

But Green has yet to see the field and Bryant is gone from last years O.

I think it is time for starting O to get some reps in a preseason game time situation .

I am talking

Ben
Antonio
Wheaton
Williams
Bell

etc....

I want them to be in sync come the regular season.

Perhaps not so much Ben and Antonio, but Ben and the rest of the options...........

diver

Reaction score
I like Tomlin. But the job he is doing right now sucks. He is setting a bad tone.

This isn't the 1991 Buffalo Bills or something. They were notoriously bad in the preseason in those years. But they had been to back to back Super Bowls. This team has done nothing.

I hope I am wrong, but I think it is going to be a long September.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I would have let them play a quarter last night. I just think home on the grass is a hell of a lot safer than the Super dome with a hard artificial one.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Looking good in preseason and making fans feel good is not worth a injury. After the way last year ended. I can't believe anybody would think it's worth it. Ben and Brown have been unstoppable in practice they are fine..Williams and Bell don't need to be exposed. I cringed multiple times as backs fell into our OL legs. I think it may have been Decastro twice..**** preseason

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Steelers QB coach on preseason.

"He might," Fichtner said. "But again, we're not going to game plan. We're not going to necessarily put in things that will help him. We've still got to evaluate everyone. It isn't per se a game plan we would use in the regular season. Next week will be more of an in-season game where you're getting work with reps that are going to be exactly how we're going to run a particular play. These are plays we've been running since spring and we still need to see who can execute. (Cobi Hamilton)'s new, other receivers need to get their work, tight ends need work. It isn't like we're game-planning to see if 26 can get on their linebacker where we know we've got a win.
"There'll be some good plays and there'll be some plays that probably aren't so good. It's about learning, for the players AND the coaches. Sometimes we learn the most about our quarterbacks when we've got a bad play, a play we might not even like. But, man, what we learn from that rep is going to keep us from making that mistake in-season.
"But, yeah, his confidence is much better. He's throwing the ball very well."

He's talking about Landry lol. But you get the point. They are not game planning

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone honestly think Ben, AB, Bell, or Williams needs ANY preseason action to be in all-star form? These guys shouldn't sniff more than a quarter all preseason, and I don't play Bell or Williams AT ALL. Preseason means NOTHING, and the only thing that can happen is a risk of injury to one of our key players. I will gladly watch this team put up goose eggs in the preseason if it means our Starting offense is Ben AB Wheaton, Bell/Williams when the season starts.

My only concern now is Jessie James is getting a ton of reps, but if he gets hurt, who the F is going to play TE?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
**** a TE if necessary. Go three wide with Bell and Williams or combination of Williams and Nix or Bell and Nix.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone honestly think Ben, AB, Bell, or Williams needs ANY preseason action to be in all-star form? These guys shouldn't sniff more than a quarter all preseason, and I don't play Bell or Williams AT ALL. Preseason means NOTHING, and the only thing that can happen is a risk of injury to one of our key players. I will gladly watch this team put up goose eggs in the preseason if it means our Starting offense is Ben AB Wheaton, Bell/Williams when the season starts.

My only concern now is Jessie James is getting a ton of reps, but if he gets hurt, who the F is going to play TE?

It's an absolute certainty that they need a few reps to shake the rust and cobwebs off.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
starters typically play some of the 3rd preseason game. and maybe a series or two of the 4th.
just like we knew before the first snap last night about what we had/have in Landry Jones, we know what we have in Ben, AB and Bell.

btw - AB should buy Ben any car/truck he wants when he gets his new contract. Without Ben, no one would know who AB is - judging from the QB **** show last night.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Team practice is not the same as game reps. This team always seems surprised at how hard the other team plays the first couple of games.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I would rather they start slow then be injured in pre season.

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
Practicing, knowing that you will not be hit,....not equal to.....game speed.

Taking a chance at losing one of your superstars in a meaningless game not worth it anymore. The negatives far out way the positives when it comes to playing in the preseason in my opinion. After 11 years in the league I think Ben knows what it feels like to be hit and understands the meaning of game speed.

Stewey

Reaction score
Not able to see the games. I know Ben isn't playing, but how long have our other starters been out there. A series or two ?

black and gold apex

Reaction score
I'm tired of hearing from Tomlin his lame excuses and that someone is having a great camp. Camp is not game conditions against other players wanting to show what they have. We do not transfer training camp to Heinz Field very well under our coaching philosophy.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not worried about how bad they look being an indicator for the season. They are just trying to evaluate how the young players and bubble players are stacking up in their matchups. They're not trying to scheme their way to success or win the game. They want to see how the talent is performing without "catching the opponent off guard with a great scheme" being a factor.

All that being said, Landry Jones looks absolutely horrible. I know, no matter who we bring in to play backup QB, we are screwed without Ben. But I think we are 0 for how many ever games he misses this year, if that happens. That's not a good sign. We need to at least be able to compete, not throw 4 INTs in a half.

Slash#10

Reaction score
Bell and Williams are veterans and given the injuries that they BOTH experienced last season, I wouldn't play neither one this entire preseason. Give both the Ladanian Tomlinson treatment. They're going to get a ton of touches in the regular season. AB and Wheaton are working diligently in practice, they are veterans and have been in the system long enough to know what needs to be done. RECALL: J.Nelson tore his knee on a non-contact move on our own natural grass field in a meaningless game! IT AINT WORTH THE RISK

Lastly Big Ben future HOF and probably is going to have a lot of issues in his 40's and 50's because of ALL his injuries throughout his career doesn't need preseason. Mike Tomlin is even limiting him in training camp to manage the health and recover of Ben.

We've watched at least 3 strongly possible S.Bowl appearances slip through our grasp due to injuries/suspensions of key players. Let the rookies, practice squad players, and bubble roster players get the burn in preseason.

Bottom line is this "If you want to repeat history, then do what has been done before. But if you want to make history, then do what hasn't been done before."

Last edited:

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score

Agree. AB and BB will get it going when the season starts I have no concerns. I'd rather have some rust on them in meaningful games than to take a hit and get hurt by some young rook trying to make the other team.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Mixed emotions about letting the boys go out and play. We know what we have with our offense, we just don't know if they will come out in sync or out. Would like to see them play a series or two next week. Ideally I'd like to see Pouncey not see the field in the preseason though.

diver

Reaction score
Looking good in preseason and making fans feel good is not worth a injury. After the way last year ended. I can't believe anybody would think it's worth it. Ben and Brown have been unstoppable in practice they are fine..Williams and Bell don't need to be exposed. I cringed multiple times as backs fell into our OL legs. I think it may have been Decastro twice..**** preseason

Look, I am old enough that I could care less if they win preseason games. I don't even think if you look great that carries over to the regular season. It is the tone I am upset about. They are coasting, easing, and Tomlin seems to be allowing it.

You ever learn a lesson that really sticks with you? I remember many years ago when I was playing. We were blowing a team out. Wasn't that we were a great team, just everything went right for us and wrong for them. Anyway, we had an old time coach who was always on us to play hard to the whistle, don't ease up or someone will get you. Well, I forgot this late in the game, and got my bell rung standing around a pile. 30+ years ago and I'll never forget that. Never coast. I just worry that attitude is permeating the team. Can they just turn it on Sept. 12th? Just like that?

But I have never seen a training camp like this one for accomplishing nothing. I would say some of the top things were trying to get some clarity in the secondary. Well, one guy is out for the year and their first rounder doesn't practice. Number 2 I would say was the pass rush from the OLB. Well, they have two first rounders who don't practice. How about the TE position? A big signing that doesn't practice. WTF did they/are they accomplishing?

Steelers1356

Reaction score

Agreed.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Look, I am old enough that I could care less if they win preseason games. I don't even think if you look great that carries over to the regular season. It is the tone I am upset about. They are coasting, easing, and Tomlin seems to be allowing it.

You ever learn a lesson that really sticks with you? I remember many years ago when I was playing. We were blowing a team out. Wasn't that we were a great team, just everything went right for us and wrong for them. Anyway, we had an old time coach who was always on us to play hard to the whistle, don't ease up or someone will get you. Well, I forgot this late in the game, and got my bell rung standing around a pile. 30+ years ago and I'll never forget that. Never coast. I just worry that attitude is permeating the team. Can they just turn it on Sept. 12th? Just like that?

But I have never seen a training camp like this one for accomplishing nothing. I would say some of the top things were trying to get some clarity in the secondary. Well, one guy is out for the year and their first rounder doesn't practice. Number 2 I would say was the pass rush from the OLB. Well, they have two first rounders who don't practice. How about the TE position? A big signing that doesn't practice. WTF did they/are they accomplishing?

What makes you think they are coasting. Most of the guys playing are fighting for a roster spot. So if they are coasting that says a lot about them.

I think this teams knows they were close last year and are determined to not let injuries derail there season in the pre season. You can't control injuries once the regular season starts but you can now.

They've already been burned by Golson injury. Big blow. Burrns is hurt and the OLBs have boo boos why risk turning them into real issues to say we looked good in preseason. Not worth it to me

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
What makes you think they are coasting. Most of the guys playing are fighting for a roster spot. So if they are coasting that says a lot about them.

I think this teams knows they were close last year and are determined to not let injuries derail there season in the pre season. You can't control injuries once the regular season starts but you can now.

They've already been burned by Golson injury. Big blow. Burrns is hurt and the OLBs have boo boos why risk turning them into real issues to say we looked good in preseason. Not worth it to me

Reducing the mileage on the first tier players is important. We know what these guys can do. We don't need to see much if any of it in preseason from them. They will probably get a few series and that's it. We need the guys fighting for roster spots to earn those last spots on the roster.

diver

Reaction score

What makes it appear they are doing anything but? Well, maybe they just aren't any good.

I agree with you on the injury thing. Nowhere did I say they need to play Ben and so on. But are our guys fighting for roster spots that much worse than the Lions or Eagles? Or is it something else?

Why risk them? These are not established players. Did Jarvis Jones or Dupree morph into James Harrison or something? Hell, with those two, I don't even know if I am risking anything. How do you know what you are risking when they don't even ******' practice?