• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers locker room article? Tension link?

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Look at the photos of Steven Nelson and Joe Haden hanging their heads on the bench in Santa Clara and tell me these guys don't care. Not buying it.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I do not like losing, but i get over it quickly. Some guys in my bowling league act like the world will end if they lose a game. Ot is an all male sanctioned league, but it is certainly not even a big money league. I just think people handle losing differently, but it doesn't mean they don't care. I have no problem with guys smiling or whatever after losing as long as they are putting max effort out on the field. Not playing hard is far worse than joking around after a loss to me.

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
All I know is that in my heart, I believe that if Bill Cowher was still coaching this team Ben would have more rings than Brady. Say what you want to but cowher could get everything a player had out of them, he took a rookie QB to the AFC and thumped the Pat's in the regular season Ben's rookie year.

How a owner can just sit back and watch this **** show year after year is beyond me. I think I am more disappointed in Art ll than I am the coaching staff, at least Art has the ability to make changes.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
They should be more than pissed 0-3 Have shown no improvement over the three game lose.

chipped ham

Reaction score
All I know is that in my heart, I believe that if Bill Cowher was still coaching this team Ben would have more rings than Brady. Say what you want to but cowher could get everything a player had out of them, he took a rookie QB to the AFC and thumped the Pat's in the regular season Ben's rookie year.

How a owner can just sit back and watch this **** show year after year is beyond me. I think I am more disappointed in Art ll than I am the coaching staff, at least Art has the ability to make changes.

I’m not going to make this a dumbo Tomlin v. Cowher thing, but you can’t say that he’d have more rings than Brady, and point to the regular season victory in ‘04, and then totally ignore the shellacking in the AFCCG that very same year to that very same team. As a matter of fact Cowhers teams went 0-2 against Brady, and the cheating pricks in the AFCCG, being huge favorites both times. Not absolving Tomlin of the serious disappointment, but regardless of whether or not Cool Shades or the Chin were tracing the sidelines, neither were going to get through New England.

Vader

Reaction score
I’m not going to make this a dumbo Tomlin v. Cowher thing, but you can’t say that he’d have more rings than Brady, and point to the regular season victory in ‘04, and then totally ignore the shellacking in the AFCCG that very same year to that very same team. As a matter of fact Cowhers teams went 0-2 against Brady, and the cheating pricks in the AFCCG, being huge favorites both times. Not absolving Tomlin of the serious disappointment, but regardless of whether or not Cool Shades or the Chin were tracing the sidelines, neither were going to get through New England.

Cowher lost to NE twice yes. One of those was when Kordell was the QB. The other time was in Ben's rookie season. Tomlin has only played them once. He got blasted with a seasoned Ben just a few years ago. He openly talked about meeting them again year before last but he forgot he had to play the great Blake Bortles the next week not the pats****.

So I think Cowher could have done better against the pats**** with a non-rookie Ben.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
There is no tension. Go through the motions. Get paid. That's it.

I don't spend time with the Steelers players, don't talk to them, so I cannot say that this story has anything to do with them.

I recall that some years ago, probably 10 or more, Michael Irvin told a story about the plane ride back from a road game where the Cowboys had lost in the playoffs. The coaches were together towards the front of the plane, the players towards the back, and the players were doing their best to hide the fact that they were glad they had lost.

They don't get paid enough to play more games. During the regular season, they get paid whether they win or lose. Nobody wants to play poorly, but if a guy runs for 80 yards and a TD, but the team loses, he is happy. He did well enough to continue playing, he will get paid no matter the result, he is not blamed for the loss, and the paychecks keep coming in.

The very nature of professional sports is that it draws in highly competitive people. I hate losing. Loathe it. I hate losing at darts, or golf, or foosball, or anything. For athletes, it's the same.

But if I were paid $4 million this year to throw darts, and got paid win or lose, and knew that giving 100% on every throw meant a much higher probability of serious injury (analogizing to football here, people) ... I suspect my attitude might change a bit.