• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers have big plans for James Conner-Jaylen Samuels tandem - Pittsburgh Steelers

stevielee

Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. Run the wheels off of ONLY ONE guy has seemingly been the game plan for at least 6 straight years. And probably longer than that.
So I guess the big question is... will they be used properly? I'm kind of with you, I'll believe it when I see it, but it can't hurt to be a little optimistic at this time of year.

Sent from my VS988 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
In his first year ever, as a running back, he amassed that incredible effort against the Pats in his first start. That is freakin incredible.

He's also the best pass catcher we've ever had coming out of the backfield. Why can I say that? Because he was more of a receiver in college and understands route running and hand placement. He is our Sproles, and he's going to go off this season.

That was his first start ever as a running back? Holy ****, I know the bigs opened some serious holes for him but he looked like a boss out there. Incredible performance IMO. I like your enthusiasm about this guy, gettin' me goin'.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
That was his first start ever as a running back? Holy ****, I know the bigs opened some serious holes for him but he looked like a boss out there. Incredible performance IMO. I like your enthusiasm about this guy, gettin' me goin'.

He definitely is a wildcard player as they could use him in many ways. Him and DM will help ease what the team lost in yardage /TDs in the offseason.

bigben

Reaction score
Bettis retired in 05, Parker was an undrafted free agent in 04 and Duce Staley wore sweatpants I think I like this year's depth a little better

Duce didn't do anything, Bettis was a feelgood story, But without Fast Willie, that team doesn't win the superbowl.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Duce didn't do anything, Bettis was a feelgood story, But without Fast Willie, that team doesn't win the superbowl.

Duce had a good little run pre injury I wouldn't say he exactly did nothing. Bettis was a feel good story from beginning to end.

I will let others chime in on Willie...............

stevielee

Reaction score
Right, but no one really expected anything from Willie in 05 since as an undrafted free agent in 04 he barely saw the field that year. I still think the expectations for this year's backfield are higher and unlike 05 with Parker we know what we have with Connor and Samuels and I would love to see Snell get some goal-line and short-yardage work.

stevielee

Reaction score
Duce had a good little run pre injury I wouldn't say he exactly did nothing. Bettis was a feel good story from beginning to end.

I will let others chime in on Willie...............
I believe Deuce actually came close to a thousand yards one season then it all went to hell.

Vader

Reaction score
I believe Deuce actually came close to a thousand yards one season then it all went to hell.

2004 Staley had his best year yards per game average. He ended up with 830 yards before being injured. He started 10 games. That also happened to be Ben's first year. Bettis had 941 yards that year as well. Verron Haynes also had 272 yards rushing.

Steelersfan43

Reaction score
I hope finally,the steelers are going to have a committee at this position to keep Conner and the other RB fresh for the entire game and season.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes Samuels is inexperienced at RB. So inexperienced, that he never actually played it in college. He was a wing/scat back. Not a RB. Labeled as a TE because college football couldn't correctly figure out his position. In his first year ever, as a running back, he amassed that incredible effort against the Pats in his first start. That is freakin incredible.

He's also the best pass catcher we've ever had coming out of the backfield. Why can I say that? Because he was more of a receiver in college and understands route running and hand placement. He is our Sproles, and he's going to go off this season.

he is a football player, give him snaps and scheme for his talent

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope finally,the steelers are going to have a committee at this position to keep Conner and the other RB fresh for the entire game and season.

I don’t think it has to be or should be committee.
Just properly spell Conner.
Give him breaks from time to time.
Give Samuels some mixed in carries.
If Snell can hang, give him some, too.
“Hey, James. You just ran the ball 10 consecutive times. Grab a seat and catch your breath.”
Something that simple should be a MASSIVE improvement for him and the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

stevielee

Reaction score
I don’t think it has to be or should be committee.
Just properly spell Conner.
Give him breaks from time to time.
Give Samuels some mixed in carries.
If Snell can hang, give him some, too.
“Hey, James. You just ran the ball 10 consecutive times. Grab a seat and catch your breath.”
Something that simple should be a MASSIVE improvement for him and the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app
Also putting Connor and Samuel on the field at the same time could create some nice mismatches. We'll see how coach"run the wheels off him" handles it soon enough.