• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers First-Round Big Board

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

With the Steelers putting together a top-20 draft board, I'd love to see some other ideas from everyone here. I'll admit, I'm back and forth on a lot of these prospects. Here's what I would be thinking right now.

1. Caleb Williams, QB, USC
Williams' splits against talented teams/defenses is evident, but he has all the tools you could ask for. Unless you're sold on Wilson or Fields, QB has to be near the top of the draft board.

2. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State
Size, speed, production and NFL bloodlines. Not just a WR1 in the NFL, but a future top-5 receiver.

3. Drake Maye, QB, UNC
Maye looks the part of a franchise QB. Good arm and enough of an athlete to create. However, he seemed to lean on his teammates for production rather than elevate them. Either way, I look at the tools and want to develop him into a franchise QB.

4. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU
Nabers doesn't have elite size and that isn't an issue. Extremely productive and a terrific athlete. Another receiver who can develop into one of the best in the NFL in the near future.

5. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame
Best OL in the draft. Absolutely massive and an athlete. NFL bloodlines and a player who should be a future Pro Bowler.

6. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington
Another big, fast receiver with excellent college production. He looks the part of a WR1 and definitely one the Steelers are interested in.

7. Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU
I'm not exactly sold on Daniels. His slight frame worries me, but he's got tremendous athleticism from the QB position as he can produce from the air or ground. Again, until you get a franchise QB you have to keep trying.

8. Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State
Would've been a top-10 pick last year, another elite tackle who the Steelers would run to the podium for. For a guy like Alt or Fashanu, Jones can stay at right tackle.

9. Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington
This is the first player who should go top-15 who could potential sneak to 20. A key member of the top OL in the country, has a ton of experience at LT. Future stud on the OL.

10. Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia
Tight end would be an absolute luxury pick, but at this point I'm just looking at elite players at a potential position of need. Freiermuth may not get a long-term deal and Bowers would be really, really hard to pass up at 20. Elite potential at TE.

11. Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo
A shutdown pairing with JPJ would be terrific. Although he plays in the MAC, Mitchell is decorated with honors for being on of the top CBs in the nation. Great ball skills and a player who would make the Steelers very difficult to throw on.

12. JC Latham, OT, Alabama
A prototypical right tackle build, Latham has a ton of experience at RT and is still young. A people mover in the ground game he has very high upside.

13. Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon State
Massive right tackle prospect who would allow Jones to move back to LT. He would add another tone setter to the offensive line.

14. Byron Murphy, DL, Texas
Best IDL in the draft. While not an immediate need, finding an interior pass rushing presence would be tough to pass on. The Steelers have holes on the roster, but also need good players. This would just be getting a really good player for the defense.

15. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
The knock is his lack of games played, but he played in Georgia's two biggest games in 2022 and played at a high level before an injury this year. You're draft potential here, but the upside is a very high ceiling. An absolutely massive tackle, he'd be a force in the ground game.

16. Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama
Arnold is a guy who I just think is going to be good in the NFL. He plays in that terrific Alabama defense and they've produced some very good DBs. He'll come to the NFL well prepared to play at a high level and again would provide a great duo with Porter.

17. Graham Barton, C, Duke
If I'm drafting Barton, it's to play center, not tackle (except maybe if Frazier is there in the second). While he has limited experience at center, he has a good frame and athleticism to give the Steelers a legit option in the middle. If they don't get a center in the first, it'll be risky to find a plug and play player later. I do have to admit, if center wasn't a glaring need (if there was a competent veteran signed), both Barton and JPJ would probably be out of my top 20 or so--the next 4-5 prospects play more impactful positions, the Steelers just have themselves in a hole.

18. Cooper DeJean, DB, Iowa
A Brian Branch type player in the sense that he can play multiple spots in the defensive backfield. Excellent athlete who is good with the ball in his hands (3 INT return TDs in 2022). Would help free up Minkah to play his natural position and just make that defense backfield dangerous overall.

19. Jer'Zhan Newton, DL, Illinois
Similar to Murphy, this would be finding a terrific player at an area of need (just lesser need than C, WR, CB, and OT). Newton and Benton would be the foundation for the future and provide pressure up the middle.

20. Jackson Powers Johnson, C, Oregon
The top center in the draft. I think 20 is a little steep for him, but the need may force the issue. He has more size than Barton and could provide a better anchor, but doesn't quite have the same athleticism. He still seems like a plug and play player who would help the rebuilt OL.

Just missed...
21. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama - A physical style of play would be a good fit for what the Steelers need.

22. Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson - Good cover corner, but slight build is concerning. He should still be good at the next level.

23. Brian Thomas, WR, LSU - A lot of tools, but the scouting reports of a limited route tree worry me. We already have one of those guys.

24. AD Mitchell, WR, Texas - A late first-round prospect, has all the tools to be a top-tier wide receiver with some quality coaching and QB play.

25. Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama - With Watt and Highsmith on long-term deals, EDGE isn't a need, but at some point you can't pass on talent.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Daniels more than Maye but that is just preference over where I think he will be drafted. I like your bigboard overall but would move Turner up and JPJ down out of the top 20. Will try to revisit this list later.

Last edited:

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I have not been following a lot of the prospects this year, but I do like the idea of selecting another OT in the first round to pair with Jones for the rest of the decade.

It could create a significant foundation for the offense, and it's been awhile since the Steelers have been really strong at both tackle spots, though they've had some decent players here and there.

Maybe since Wayne Gandy and Marvel Smith over 20 years ago, or John Jackson and Leon Searcy before them.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I like Daniel’s more than Maye but that is just preference over where I think he will be drafted. I like your bigboard overall but would move Turner up and JPJ down out of the top 20. Will try to revisit this list later.
I can see flipping those two prospects. I think part of me is buying into the Maye/Herbert comparison in the sense both have concerns entering the NFL but the tools are there to be elite. Daniels playmaking ability is electric and he's a true dual threat. Considering his deep ball with Pickens, that would be something else. Not a problem we have to worry about since they'll be top-5 picks, still fun to discuss.

I have not been following a lot of the prospects this year, but I do like the idea of selecting another OT in the first round to pair with Jones for the rest of the decade.

It could create a significant foundation for the offense, and it's been awhile since the Steelers have been really strong at both tackle spots, though they've had some decent players here and there.

Maybe since Wayne Gandy and Marvel Smith over 20 years ago, or John Jackson and Leon Searcy before them.
Two really good pairings. I've settled in on a OT as the main realistic target area because it's a premium position and I think they have better upside than the center prospects. It'll be interesting to see the order they go off the board because different teams like different styles of play.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
If we don’t make a trade between now and then for a legit wide out..
Brian Thomas is my selection at 20.
I could see it but... there was not big scouting interest in the guy and we know how the team operates. You wine them and dine them before you draft them

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I could see it but... there was not big scouting interest in the guy and we know how the team operates. You wine them and dine them before you draft them
Yep==he didnt visit either. Ccncerning.

If Buffalo trades up to take him...we need to pull the trigger on Aiyuk, Sutton, or Lockett imho..

We are dangerously light at that position with NFL caliper play makers...and ole Georgie is one episode away from being a non-factor this season..