• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Draft - Winners and Losers

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Leal is the forgotten man here. He did flash here and there with pass rush, and then last year was no where to be found. I still think he can be a player for us
He'll probably battle it out with Lee for the final DL roster spot.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
In all seriousness, and not to change the subject, but where has Coach been? He is usually all over these picks with his grandiose opinions on players? Anyone know if he is okay?
I know for a fact he is physically ok. Mentally how much worse could he be?

keslerclan

Reaction score
The way I see it is we got better all the way around, though not hard to improve either based on last year's performance and injuries.

1. We will have a better offensive scheme (worst to middle is acceptable at this point)
2. We have a better OL in general as we have 2-3 guys that will likely be better than the guys they replace.
3. Our worries over WR is unfounded, IMO. We got rid of a highly paid, often injured and poor leader in Diontae for a guy that will be better than him immediately by all indications in Roman Wilson. Our depth is better than last year too (not saying much, but it's better). We will sign another "vet" before season starts.
4. Our DL is going to be better as Cam will be much better as will Benton and we have better depth than last year with Dean Lowry, Loudermilk (contract year) and Adams back at NT. I think they will use Benton more as a DE this year (which is good) as is Demarvin Leal being on "notice" to get big again or be cut. We will pick up any depth we need on "cut-downs" too.
5. Our ILBs are definitely better considering we started last year with Roberts/Holcomb pairing and now will have Roberts/Queen (2 downs) with a WIlson/Queen pairing on 3rd downs at the very least.
6. Safety was a mess last year with Kazee playing more FS than expected because we needed run/pass defense underneath and Minkah was the only option. Kazee, if kept, would be better to play over the slot as he is a converted CB and is smallish for FS. He also will get suspended more often playing from deep coverage than from the slot. We also added DeShon Elliott who grades far better than Keanu Neal. With Minkah able to play his deep safety role, we will be better.
7. At CB we were also a mess last year, something was wrong with Wallace last year as he was pretty bad. We get CJ as an improvement there and have some depth with Trice, Rush, Barnes, Barcoo and now Watts. Still need to decide our NCB but I'd see Kazee, Josiah Scott and now Beanie Bishop as candidates. If nobody shows, we can always sign Sullivan again.
8. We lost some depth at OLB and I expect an offer to Golden or Dupree to come back to help Herbig out.

While I loved the early draft, I still think there may have been some higher projected talents in our last two picks BUT I cannot complain as very rarely do picks this late contribute early, if at all.

SO....Winners=Us (hopefully) and Losers=The Haters

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
In all seriousness, and not to change the subject, but where has Coach been? He is usually all over these picks with his grandiose opinions on players? Anyone know if he is okay?

I pick on him some, but I worry about him too. I never wish bad on anyone.

Coach, let us know you are OK and have just been busy repainting the LUXURY Auto.

Salute the nation

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Winners: Warren and Harris with so many picks to the Oline in the last 2 years these guys should be able to produce.
Wilson - should not have to field ground balls from Cole and should not be running for his life right after snap.
Oline coach - Has the tools to use will find out if it was scheme or talent.....He could end up in the loser category

Losers: Pickens - w/o DJ the WR core is a huge ? at best. Pickens will see more doubles / triples see if he can be a true #1 and keep his head in the game
Defense - did not get one of the upper CBs. We need talent here because the coaching stinks. Watt / Highsmith can be negated if we cant cover anyone.

I think the draft was good and we addressed a lot of needs w/ good talent. We were not going to fix everything through the draft. Someone needs to turn into a legit #2 WR and we need a legit #2 CB. We have some potentials on the roster, but relying on Tomlin and company for development does not get me all warm and fuzzy

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have "any material" I try to "hone in" on anyone.

I don't care what you do behind closed doors on your time, just don't attempt to "hone in" on me.....

I'm not an "anyone", you may have to go more east for that.

Salute the nation

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the draft was good and we addressed a lot of needs w/ good talent. We were not going to fix everything through the draft.
This is all you can do when a team has needs at so many locations. I don't think we entered the AFC conference title game discussion as the team stands now unless Russell Wilson plays way above my expectations. Even if he does, the Steelers still need help. My point is allot of teams like ours wants to say they're reloading, not rebuilding. Call it anything you want but we're rebuilding, the last two drafts imo have taken a significant step in that direction. The FO is doing as well or better than many teams who made it clear they're in a clean house rebuild with numerous early picks and cap space galore.

Just continue the trenches rebuild on defense and secondary with a wr thrown in during next off season/draft and hope our QB situation stabilizes.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is all you can do when a team has needs at so many locations. I don't think we entered the AFC conference title game discussion as the team stands now unless Russell Wilson plays way above my expectations. Even if he does, the Steelers still need help. My point is allot of teams like ours wants to say they're reloading, not rebuilding. Call it anything you want but we're rebuilding, the last two drafts imo have taken a significant step in that direction. The FO is doing as well or better than many teams who made it clear they're in a clean house rebuild with numerous early picks and cap space galore.

Just continue the trenches rebuild on defense and secondary with a wr thrown in during next off season/draft and hope our QB situation stabilizes.

Every draft, they need one OL or DL pick in the first two rounds, to keep the trenches healthy and talented.

Trench warfare is a real thing and needs real addressing along the way.

We haven't been doing a very good job until Kahn & Weidl took over.

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Every draft, they need one OL or DL pick in the first two rounds, to keep the trenches healthy and talented.

Trench warfare is a real thing and needs real addressing along the way.

We haven't been doing a very good job until Kahn & Weidl took over.

Salute the nation
Nah we dont need tgat kind of investment. Just do what they did back in cowhers day... draft at least a mid to low round developmental guy every year... only go high if you are replacing a stud... but i would never go more than two years without a top three round pick in either of those areas

bigben

Reaction score
The Rushing game got the biggest boost, Harris and Warren were probably celebrating more than the actual players getting drafted. Gotta be motivating for both guys coming up on contract #2. Golden opportunity

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Three years ago, the team was a LOT of players short of being a title contender. Ben was well beyond his prime, the OL was a dumpster fire, the team had no backup RB, the CB position was a mess, ILB was a mess, the defense gave up 398 points, the talent level was ... not good.

The team is a lot better now. Championship-level good? Yeah, maybe not but more amazing things have happened. But the OL is very good, the RB position is solid, the CB position is vastly better, the S position is better, the ILB position is LIGHT YEARS better, Watt and Highsmith are in their primes, and the QB position is ... interesting. Weidl and Kahn have improved the team quite a bit in 2 FA and draft phases.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They've ignored the OL for many years. The team paid for it too.

The scheme on defense needs an upgrade and better creativity getting to the qb. It pretty much goes downhill about 8-10 games into the season. Then it doesn't adapt.

That's on the coaches and the part that needs to change ,if they're ever going to reach the last man standing status again.
The scheme will only change when the Steelers hire a new HC, not before. The 1-4-6 is a Mike Tomlin staple.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The way I see it is we got better all the way around, though not hard to improve either based on last year's performance and injuries.

1. We will have a better offensive scheme (worst to middle is acceptable at this point)
Though limited due to Tomlin’s fear of risk
2. We have a better OL in general as we have 2-3 guys that will likely be better than the guys they replace.
Possibly, but when will they be given a hat?
3. Our worries over WR is unfounded, IMO. We got rid of a highly paid, often injured and poor leader in Diontae for a guy that will be better than him immediately by all indications in Roman Wilson. Our depth is better than last year too (not saying much, but it's better). We will sign another "vet" before season starts.
Sometimes addition by subtraction is a good thing
4. Our DL is going to be better as Cam will be much better as will Benton and we have better depth than last year with Dean Lowry, Loudermilk (contract year) and Adams back at NT. I think they will use Benton more as a DE this year (which is good) as is Demarvin Leal being on "notice" to get big again or be cut. We will pick up any depth we need on "cut-downs" too.
Cam should be healed up, which makes him better, but Father time waits for no one
5. Our ILBs are definitely better considering we started last year with Roberts/Holcomb pairing and now will have Roberts/Queen (2 downs) with a WIlson/Queen pairing on 3rd downs at the very least.
If they don’t have to field 12th stringers it should help
6. Safety was a mess last year with Kazee playing more FS than expected because we needed run/pass defense underneath and Minkah was the only option. Kazee, if kept, would be better to play over the slot as he is a converted CB and is smallish for FS. He also will get suspended more often playing from deep coverage than from the slot. We also added DeShon Elliott who grades far better than Keanu Neal. With Minkah able to play his deep safety role, we will be better.
Minkah playing SAFETY again, instead of LB’er will help immensely
7. At CB we were also a mess last year, something was wrong with Wallace last year as he was pretty bad. We get CJ as an improvement there and have some depth with Trice, Rush, Barnes, Barcoo and now Watts. Still need to decide our NCB but I'd see Kazee, Josiah Scott and now Beanie Bishop as candidates. If nobody shows, we can always sign Sullivan again.
looking forward to seeing what Trice can do
8. We lost some depth at OLB and I expect an offer to Golden or Dupree to come back to help Herbig out.
Maybe someone steps up from the PS for OLB4
While I loved the early draft, I still think there may have been some higher projected talents in our last two picks BUT I cannot complain as very rarely do picks this late contribute early, if at all.
I think overall it was a very good Draft
SO....Winners=Us (hopefully) and Losers=The Haters

TimesHaveChanged

Reaction score
After another dumpster fire of a season and an undeserved, humiliating playoff appearance here we are with a solid roster and legitimate hope to contend for the division. 3 months ago half the guys in here were choking on their tampon strings, the whining was unbearable.

FO was aggressive and made moves that will pay dividends now and for a decade while putting this team on the road to another AFCCG in a year or two. I am STOKED.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
After another dumpster fire of a season and an undeserved, humiliating playoff appearance here we are with a solid roster and legitimate hope to contend for the division. 3 months ago half the guys in here were choking on their tampon strings, the whining was unbearable.

FO was aggressive and made moves that will pay dividends now and for a decade while putting this team on the road to another AFCCG in a year or two. I am STOKED.
you might say times have changed