• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Draft - Winners and Losers

Poobah

Reaction score
I see these Winner/loser articles about entire NFL all the time and thought it might be fun for a Steelers only edition. Looking at just the draft, who on the team benifits most and who the least from the last few days?

Winners: Harris and Warren. Shoring up the o-line with big, powerful men with mean streaks along side guys like Semu, Daniels and Mount Washington makes for a nasty front. Once these guys find their chemistry and sea legs, they will be nasty to smaller/faster defenses and able to punch bigger defenses in the mouth just the same. This is a win for the RB room.

Loser: DC T. Austin. Despite getting a heckuva mid round LB and late round DL and DB, he is pretty much working with the same crew he had last year. These draftees are depth players to start if they even make the team. In my eyes, we still need a big body up front to help with the rotation and another DB. The main positive impact to the defense may well be indirect - the improved running game hopefully keeps the defense off the field and fresh legs.

Honorable Mention: Weidle-Kahn. They just put together another pretty good looking draft. Their stock around the league has to skyrocketing.

What say you?

The Grand Poobah

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I see these Winner/loser articles about entire NFL all the time and thought it might be fun for a Steelers only edition. Looking at just the draft, who on the team benifits most and who the least from the last few days?

Winners: Harris and Warren. Shoring up the o-line with big, powerful men with mean streaks along side guys like Semu, Daniels and Mount Washington makes for a nasty front. Once these guys find their chemistry and sea legs, they will be nasty to smaller/faster defenses and able to punch bigger defenses in the mouth just the same. This is a win for the RB room.

Loser: DC T. Austin. Despite getting a heckuva mid round LB and late round DL and DB, he is pretty much working with the same crew he had last year. These draftees are depth players to start if they even make the team. In my eyes, we still need a big body up front to help with the rotation and another DB. The main positive impact to the defense may well be indirect - the improved running game hopefully keeps the defense off the field and fresh legs.

Honorable Mention: Weidle-Kahn. They just put together another pretty good looking draft. Their stock around the league has to skyrocketing.

What say you?

The Grand Poobah
On D free agency put its stamp on depth. You will have a new number 2 corner, new ILber, new S and DE depth. To go with a drafted ILBer and DE and potential inside corner undrafted addition.

I don’t know if I consider 6 to 7 defensive additions pretty much working with the same crew.

You have at the minimum 2 new D starters. Plus odds are they bring in an inside corner which gets a decent amount of playing time. They very well might sign an outside CB as well for depth.

I think that gives Austin enough to work with as the D simply didn’t need as much in comparison to the Os deficiencies.

Poobah

Reaction score
On D free agency put its stamp on depth. You will have a new number 2 corner, new ILber, new S and DE depth. To go with a drafted ILBer and DE and potential inside corner undrafted addition.

I don’t know if I consider 6 to 7 defensive additions pretty much working with the same crew.

You have at the minimum 2 new D starters. Plus odds are they bring in an inside corner which gets a decent amount of playing time. They very well might sign an outside CB as well for depth.

I think that gives Austin enough to work with as the D simply didn’t need as much in comparison to the Os deficiencies.
I was just looking at draft and not FA. TA didn't get many new toys in this draft. That said, I am very pleased iwth the draft

Poobah

Reaction score
I think they are banking on Queen being the difference maker on defense
For certain and I am looking forward to watching. The overall off season hit most of the holes. I am very excited for the o-line and hope they start doing things together sooner rather than later. Still hoping for one more WR and one more DB addition before camp. But the Omar-Andy era has been more effective and efficient than I ever hoped. Clear their planning and prep work is top tier.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Well said slash, and thanks for all your great post(s) along the way.

One needs to remember that this OFFENSE has been somewhat ignored in comparison to the defense, when it comes to drafting players. It was time to somewhat even the scale.

Also, it’s not just Austin, but also the real DC who needs to get these players they got, to produce better or change the system and coaching mindset of playing not to lose.

Salute the nation

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Winners:
- QBs and RBs
- old school Steelers fans
- The defense as in theory the O will be longer on the field
- GP, zero threat to WR1 position
- Mims (WR), might have a chance to fight for WR2

Losers:
- Dan Moore, he better try to learn LG and RT to improve his value with flexibility because now he has two LTs ahead of him in talent, and both are more versatile currently.
- Herbig will probably secure the main backup IOL this season but he just got serious competition.
- The DLine didn't beef up and is priority #1 for the next draft. Though I understand you can't fix everything in one draft

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Loser: DC T. Austin. Despite getting a heckuva mid round LB and late round DL and DB, he is pretty much working with the same crew he had last year.
Good post, but not sure about this one. Prior to the injuries the defense was good. Even post injuries, this unit was still pretty good. The Steelers had to invest in offense and they did. Add in Jackson and Queen along with a new depth piece on the DL, I think the Steelers did okay. He did get JPJ and Benton early last season along with Herbig.

Winners:
-Running backs: The Chiefs went out and beefed up their OL after struggling a few years ago with Humphrey and Smith and it paid immediate dividends. This is a young group that will undergo growing pains, but the talent is there to be very good.
-George Pickens: If there was any doubt, he is THE guy going into next year.
-Justin Fields: Not immediately, but this draft feels like the Steelers are building a team to fit Fields skillset. I don't know if he'll ever live up to his potential, but the Steelers appear to be giving him a real chance.
-Arthur Smith: He gets to build an offense.

Losers:
-Defensive backfield: Was hoping to get an inside/outside cornerback and would've considered one in the first or second, but totally get the Steelers moves.\
-Dan Moore: Off to the bench.
-Fans of the passing game: We're still very thin at receiver. Frazier over Mitchell said it all with what the Steelers want to do. Pickens is a solid WR2 right now, Wilson is a rookie, then there are a bunch of 4 and 5s on the roster.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Khan did T. Austin a favor when he traded DJ the WR for DJ the CB.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
This whole team is better than last year. Everywhere (but I havent' evaluated the special teams, really). But, at the very least the rest of our competition has to be looking closer. Better OC, Offense, O Line, LB corps, better attitudes by losing some bitter guys, etc. We should be a force. Sucks that the rest of the NFCN is so legit. This team should be fun, and surprise a few people.

Poobah

Reaction score
Khan did T. Austin a favor when he traded DJ the WR for DJ the CB.
and more when he signed a certain LB. My original was simply looking at just the draft rather then the whole offseason. I am pleased with the moves they have made in bot FA and the draft. We had so many holes and they hit about as many as you can in one offseason.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
For the first time in several years....I'm actually looking forward to, and can't wait for summer to end (even before its starts!)....to start the football season!

Its amazing what Kahn and company has done to this roster since that depressing season ending loss up in snowy Buffalo...

Just freakin' amazing!

We are going to open many cans of whoop *** this season!

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They are adding Corner for sure. Count my vote on Sutton(he is gonna play somewhere anyhow.)

More than likely here. He is getting the “law” thing worked out and I’d say he’s going to be real cheap…. Right up our alley.

Salute the nation

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
The front 7 really didn't add any young beef; you have Lee who is more developmental type of a DE. You got Cam, a year older coming off some pretty serious surgery. Larry O is a year older towards 30. Then a good-looking Benton and then nothing but ham and eggers. It all starts upfront. Without quality DLmen you end up with your safety leading in tackles again, not what you really want.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Well said slash, and thanks for all your great post(s) along the way.

One needs to remember that this OFFENSE has been somewhat ignored in comparison to the defense, when it comes to drafting players. It was time to somewhat even the scale.

Also, it’s not just Austin, but also the real DC who needs to get these players they got, to produce better or change the system and coaching mindset of playing not to lose.

Salute the nation
They've ignored the OL for many years. The team paid for it too.

The scheme on defense needs an upgrade and better creativity getting to the qb. It pretty much goes downhill about 8-10 games into the season. Then it doesn't adapt.

That's on the coaches and the part that needs to change ,if they're ever going to reach the last man standing status again.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
The front 7 really didn't add any young beef; you have Lee who is more developmental type of a DE. You got Cam, a year older coming off some pretty serious surgery. Larry O is a year older towards 30. Then a good-looking Benton and then nothing but ham and eggers. It all starts upfront. Without quality DLmen you end up with your safety leading in tackles again, not what you really want.

I'm looking for Benton to take a big step.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
In all seriousness, and not to change the subject, but where has Coach been? He is usually all over these picks with his grandiose opinions on players? Anyone know if he is okay?
He will be along with his who he would have picked commentary I am sure . You know these arm chair GM’s always have to will how smart they are to everyone. Hey and that two percent of the time they actually find a nut is very squirrely impressive I tell yinz.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
For the first time in several years....I'm actually looking forward to, and can't wait for summer to end (even before its starts!)....to start the football season!

Its amazing what Kahn and company has done to this roster since that depressing season ending loss up in snowy Buffalo...

Just freakin' amazing!

We are going to open many cans of whoop *** this season!
I hope so, but we still got that genius HC running things, so, playoff win? Can the 7 year non-winner finally win in the postseason?
But he's only one man, hard to do that much on his own unless he's Aaron Donald, which he ain't.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I hope so, but we still got that genius HC running things, so, playoff win? Can the 7 year non-winner finally win in the postseason?

But he's only one man, hard to do that much on his own unless he's Aaron Donald, which he ain't.
As this was the draft to invest in OLine, it also wasn't the one to invest in DL. Hopefully next draft is deeper there

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I mean I wanted HorrorHorror or Maason in the 3rd round a or b, that would have been good value I think, but early in the 2nd? Too expensive

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Leal is the forgotten man here. He did flash here and there with pass rush, and then last year was no where to be found. I still think he can be a player for us

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Leal is the forgotten man here. He did flash here and there with pass rush, and then last year was no where to be found. I still think he can be a player for us
I'm not sure what is indicating that Leal is gonna be something, but I hope so, although I don't see it.