• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers bring in tremendous haul on day one

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Since 2008 the Bulldogs have 7 first round picks and the Tide 22. (0 in 2008)

Alabama is just not an NFL producing college.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Since 2008 the Bulldogs have 7 first round picks and the Tide 22. (0 in 2008)

Alabama is just not an NFL producing college.

You seem the type to never change their opinion despite facts.

They do produce talent you just expect more.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
You seem the type to never change their opinion despite facts.

They do produce talent you just expect more.

They literally have 3x as many first round picks as Georgia in the last ten years.

Success rate for nfl first round picks is roughly 50/50. Alabama is always far below that, at least in the Saben era.

I’m really not sure why but my only reasonable theory is character and intelligence.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
They literally have 3x as many first round picks as Georgia in the last ten years.

Success rate for nfl first round picks is roughly 50/50. Alabama is always far below that, at least in the Saben era.

I’m really not sure why but my only reasonable theory is character and intelligence.

Who cares what the ratio is if they are bringing a plethora of talent in, the end result is they still produce. You can get caught up in percentages.

Doesn't really weigh in on a round 1 talent. Didn't stop the Pats from drafting their Alabama LBer, and wouldn't stop the Steelers from drafting theirs. If they deemed him a BPA.

Is some of them products of their system? Getting the most out of their college player, and in that aspect making a prospect look more attractive. As in maxed out? Some play out that way sure.

So if you have ten on the table, you want to play out which ones actually have a upside with a room to grow. Overall I think the Steelers do a solid job at that. And if you look at their history, they don't often draft that Alabama player.

But you can't shy away from a prospect, just because of that. You just have to be confident in the evaluation process.

As a fan you can say pass sure, your opinion. As a team I damn sure glad they turn over the stones and evaluate on something other than a percentage of studs VS busts.More on a individual basis.

Just think that Georgia team you just pointed out produced one of the biggest busts on our team in quite some time. And you don't veer away from their players anymore than Alabama's.

Hell if you want to go by that Boise has one in the top 100 in comparison.

Nothing is consistent, if it was you wouldn't see so many get drafted from that school. Because they do face top competition, and have a decent amount of players in the NFL. Really enough to not overlook Alabama.

Last edited:

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Ive kinda decided if the Steelers go Evans it’s definitely not to replace Shazier but to replace Vince Williams in 2019 when he’s a free agent.

Vince just said on FB he isn't leaving Pittsburgh. So I'd say he will be cap friendly again in 2019 should the Steelers want to keep him.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...most-represented-2017-nfl-opening-day-rosters

Colleges most represented on 2017 NFL Opening Day rosters

T-4. Alabama: 44 — Though Alabama might not have the most players on NFL rosters, there’s no doubt that coach Nick Saban has produced some of football’s brightest young stars. Amari Cooper (Oakland Raiders), Landon Collins (New York Giants), Julio Jones (Atlanta Falcons) and Don’t’a Hightower (New England Patriots) have already emerged as top players at their respected positions and were all part of the Crimson’s Tide’s run of of four national championships in eight seasons. In this year's NFL draft, Alabama produced four first-round picks and nine of the top 100.

Tied for 4th. I say that is pretty significant...

FordFairLane

Reaction score
To each their own. I am fine and am happy the Steelers look at every school I’m just saying I’d be more careful when dealing with Alabama. Their first round picks have a low success rate.

But that said look at Wisconsin. 6 first round picks in 10 years that include TJ Watt, Ryan Ramczyk (stud), Melvin Gordon, Travis Frederick, Kevin Zeitler, JJ Watt, Gabe Carimi (bust). Pretty good ratio there.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you not think the sparq is an accurate indicator?
I think it is just one small puzzle piece and shouldn't be the reason to draft a player based primarily on a solid Sparq. If you look closely you will find that the top ones don't indicate star status. People should use them not as a pick decider. Juju for example wasn't a top 5 SparQ. Dobbs was higher than Watson. Etc. Just too many variables to zero in on just a SparQ score...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app

milkman dan

Reaction score
I think it is just one small puzzle piece and shouldn't be the reason to draft a player based primarily on a solid Sparq. If you look closely you will find that the top ones don't indicate star status. People should use them not as a pick decider. Juju for example wasn't a top 5 SparQ. Dobbs was higher than Watson. Etc. Just too many variables to zero in on just a SparQ score...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Fair enough. I do feel like its a good indicator, maybe for predicting the pick at least. The last time they strayed from it, they drafted Jarvis.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers are going to trade out of the first round so they can get a another 2nd and a 4th. Just you watch

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Steelers are going to trade out of the first round so they can get a another 2nd and a 4th. Just you watch

I said this awhile back. If the Steelers could trade back and pick up the 4th and 6th they are missing and not drop too many spots I think Colbert listens. Unless the player he covets is sitting there.

Chiba

Reaction score
I’m talking about a player that flips their hips and runs with a TE. Sub 4.7 is what you look for.

I won't disagree with that - but might not one of the cone exercises be a better test for hip flipping ability?

And wouldn't it be nice to have a player who knocks the snot out of the TE coming off the line once in a while rather than just turning and running alongside him?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I won't disagree with that - but might not one of the cone exercises be a better test for hip flipping ability?

And wouldn't it be nice to have a player who knocks the snot out of the TE coming off the line once in a while rather than just turning and running alongside him?

Read react will improve a players ability to make up for lack of speed the most. Short area quickness next and then probably hip flexibility.

Joey Jewell for example ran in the 4.8’s. But he reads and reacts as good as they come. On top of that he ran a 6.8 3 cone which was second amongst all linebackers. The problem he will have is if there’s no safety help over top and he has to run stride for stride with a TE.