• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers add Guard - Herbig

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Omar Khan is officially dealing. Within the matter of minutes, Khan signed veteran offensive lineman Nate Herbig, while also re-signing safety Damontae Kazee to a two-year deal. Offensive line was seen as a huge priority this offseason, and the Herbig signing greatly helps the team's depth. In his four-year career, he has started 28 games with the New York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Herbig has played predominantly at RG where we already have Daniels who was our best offensive lineman last year. Depth piece and hopefully lights a fire under Dotson. Interestingly enough, Herbig was an UDFA in Philly when Weidl was there.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Even with a lack of experience at LG, I would hope the coaching staff is open to a competition for the starting job. Dotson isn't bad, he just isn't consistent and with the Steelers wanting to run the ball, Herbig is good in that area. Still need strong run blocking tackles.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Even with a lack of experience at LG, I would hope the coaching staff is open to a competition for the starting job. Dotson isn't bad, he just isn't consistent and with the Steelers wanting to run the ball, Herbig is good in that area. Still need strong run blocking tackles.
I think nasty Nate beats out BigDot. At the minimal it kicks a certain undersized G off the roster.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Herbig has played predominantly at RG where we already have Daniels who was our best offensive lineman last year. Depth piece and hopefully lights a fire under Dotson. Interestingly enough, Herbig was an UDFA in Philly when Weidl was there.
I thought Daniels played less than mediocre, personally...

FordFairLane

Reaction score
The entire line started off like crap. But by the end of the season Daniel’s was the best by a long shot.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I think he's starting by beginning of the season at LG but let's not rule out moving him to center where's he's also played. Whatever happens we brought in a mauler and instantly improved our depth regarless who wins the job. Let's not forget it eliminates the need to reach for an interior lineman come late April. If a really good one far out distances other needs in value at a particular pick, take him.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think nasty Nate beats out BigDot. At the minimal it kicks a certain undersized G off the roster.

Are you talking about our rookie starting center…………….. he didn’t suit up a single game last season so Adios and we won’t miss him…………

Salute the nation

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
Its a damn shame that we got him the same season Devon Bush is going to leave… he could have shared a room at latrobe with him… the doorsign could have read,” Herbig-Bush”
You may have forgotten Field Goals

steelreeling

Reaction score
So, Daniels is getting cut or traded? Otherwise this signing makes no sense at all.

If, if, the offense was going to move away from Pickett and 7-step drops, shotgun, etc. and definitely moving away from gadget plays, then, then the move is to hand the ball off to Najee and Warren 40-45 times a game and ask them to "Parker-Bus" you to the postseason. The play-action becomes a real thing with Muth, the boot becomes real with 9-dig routes and Pickens. Less frequent passing much more upright Pickett.

Cause Daniels is solely a technique guy. A reach-block guy. A move up into the LBers and occupy & seal blocker. Daniels definitely does not move people off the line.
Dotson is way better suited for that.
Of course then why-the-eff did the team draft Pickett & Pickens & give Dionta-nae-nae a contract??!

it's just ****, **** and more ****.
I hate this signing. i hate it. it sucks. it's just more BIPOLAR offense. NONE of these pieces fit together, NOT ONE.

ianv2012

Reaction score
So, Daniels is getting cut or traded? Otherwise this signing makes no sense at all.

If, if, the offense was going to move away from Pickett and 7-step drops, shotgun, etc. and definitely moving away from gadget plays, then, then the move is to hand the ball off to Najee and Warren 40-45 times a game and ask them to "Parker-Bus" you to the postseason. The play-action becomes a real thing with Muth, the boot becomes real with 9-dig routes and Pickens. Less frequent passing much more upright Pickett.

Cause Daniels is solely a technique guy. A reach-block guy. A move up into the LBers and occupy & seal blocker. Daniels definitely does not move people off the line.
Of course then why-the-eff did the team draft Pickett & Pickens & give Dionta-nae-nae a contract??!

I hate this signing. i hate it. it sucks. it's just more BIPOLAR offense. NONE of these pieces fit together, NOT ONE.

Ritalin......it could do wonders for you, just a suggestion

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score

There never seems to be much you do like.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
There never seems to be much you do like.
giphy.gif

madinsomniac

Reaction score
We are paying Herbig as a starter… id assume he was going to be a left guard… he wasn’t exclusively a rg , thats just where injuries opened up a spot for him on the Jets last season… I assume he will replace Dotson, who tge staff just never seemed to like anyhow

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

He will compete with Big Dot and at the very least upgrade depth. He is a capable pass protect and run blocker. Our trenches assistant GM knows him. He has a reputation for being nasty and a never quit blue collar guy. Think about who they had behind our starting guards last year and maybe you dislike the pick a little less. I think fans are going to be happy with this guy once they see him play..

Last edited:

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Herbig isn't the most athletic fellow, that's for sure. Dude had the slowest 40 time in the entire 2019 combine (5.41), along with embarrassing vertical (24"), 3-cone (8.15), shuttle (5.04), and broad jump (7'6') numbers. That's why he went undrafted after he was projected to go in the middle rounds.

For what it's worth, he was a fat slob with the Eagles, but looks to have slimmed down last year as a Jet.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Omar Khan is officially dealing. Within the matter of minutes, Khan signed veteran offensive lineman Nate Herbig, while also re-signing safety Damontae Kazee to a two-year deal. Offensive line was seen as a huge priority this offseason, and the Herbig signing greatly helps the team's depth. In his four-year career, he has started 28 games with the New York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles.
This means the overrated and bad Dotson is on the bench and Kendrick Greene is cut. It also means the Steelers are not going to spend a draft high draft pick on a guard.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
This means the overrated and bad Dotson is on the bench and Kendrick Greene is cut. It also means the Steelers are not going to spend a draft high draft pick on a guard.
I think most see Dotson for what he is up and down. So not buying that he is overrated. He might be on the bench the competition will determine that. I think Herbig is an equally good run blocker and a better pass protect G in comparison.

Yeah more than likely we won't see a G early. But that doesn't mean we can't see a C or T.

Still awaiting your mock draft. Feel free to post it.😁