• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers 10-point favorites over Miami in the playoffs

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
While Vegas has overestimated our team in many games this year, mostly based on player potential, I was a bit surprised to see us as 10 point favorites.

10 points? We aren't playing the Browns.

I hope the players don't view Miami as a push over.

oicu8ad

Reaction score
My biggest fear in this game is missed tackles by our D. It has haunted us all season. Just when I think we are about to stop them on 3rd and <anything>. We have an opportunity to stop them short of the 1st down marker and force the punt, and what do you know, missed tackle or defender drug for X yards --- 1st down. Drive continues.

Drives me nuts.

Spike

Reaction score
So we're going to score 45?

deljzc

Reaction score
We're not the best team in the world when favored by 8+ points....

History shows that under Tomlin.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
My biggest fear in this game is missed tackles by our D. It has haunted us all season. Just when I think we are about to stop them on 3rd and <anything>. We have an opportunity to stop them short of the 1st down marker and force the punt, and what do you know, missed tackle or defender drug for X yards --- 1st down. Drive continues.

Drives me nuts.

Missed tackles and penalties bother me too, but this is the modern NFL and the game is tilted that way by overzealous referrers.

The Defense was alarmingly bad vs the Browns. We have two journeymen at End, and I noticed Hargrave was often double teamed. What's Tuitt's status?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
We're not the best team in the world when favored by 8+ points....

History shows that under Tomlin.

During the regular season, yeah, it seems like the players are under prepared and under motivated. It's a bad trait under Tomlin for sure. But this is a PLAYOFF GAME and we have won 7 in a row.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I'm surprised the spread is that high. I think Miami will score some garbage points at the end of the game to make the score something like 27-20.

I'm not worried about Miami's running game at all - we will shut that down - but I do think Matt Moore will have a lot of success throwing short passes against our D.

mdk2

Reaction score
Vegas isn't stupid.. I like us to cover honestly.

DocScott

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm taking the Steelers and the 10 points this weekend! We are on to something here, Miami has no answer for the healthy killer B's (Ben, Bell, Brown). Go Steelers!!!!

Slash#10

Reaction score
Depleted Dolphin secondary, no Pouncey, no Tannehill... we got this! Great tune up for our road trip the K.C. I'm already looking ahead worried about Big Bens issues on the road. Because we got to win 2 on the road to reach the SB.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Steeler Nation mobile app

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Vegas is extremely smart at making sure equal dollars are bet on each side. Not the same as predicting the outcome of the game.

It's not Vegas, it's the betting public, hence the reason lines sometimes change over time.

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
I'm betting by game time the line will be down to 5

mdk2

Reaction score

I can't see that unless the public keeps playing the dolphins which I don't see happening either. If it got down to 6 1/2, I'd be surprised.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I'd treat it like we're ten point underdogs. Can we get a Miami dolphin player to burn or stomp a terrible towel before the game?

SteelerAl

Reaction score

There zero chance of that. It opened at 8.5 and quickly moved up. Maybe it will meander back to the 8.5 territory but forget 5. Point spreads NEVER move 5 points from Wednesday to Sunday unless there is significant injury news.

SteveA

Reaction score
Players don't think this way......Don't believe the hype boys

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
I'd treat it like we're ten point underdogs. Can we get a Miami dolphin player to burn or stomp a terrible towel before the game?
Or spread a rumor that crazy Suh says he plans on kicking Ben in the knee every chance he gets?
Oh wait, that loco M F'er probably will!!

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
The problem with the missed tackles is that it seems we want to blow the guy up instead of just making a tackle, especially Mitchell always trying to hit guys to high

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Vegas is extremely smart at making sure equal dollars are bet on each side. Not the same as predicting the outcome of the game.

How many times does a 10 point favorite lose? Not very often.

Elfiero

Banned
Reaction score
During the regular season, yeah, it seems like the players are under prepared and under motivated. It's a bad trait under Tomlin for sure. But this is a PLAYOFF GAME and we have won 7 in a row.

So you're saying we're due for a loss?.......lol j/k

I'm not worried about the D. If Green plays Miami's D is who has to worry, throw in Coates and i'm sleeping like a baby Saturday night.

deljzc

Reaction score
The money line (which is just a win/lose the game bet), currently indicates the Steelers should win this game 81% of the time.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
So you're saying we're due for a loss?.......lol j/k

I'm not worried about the D. If Green plays Miami's D is who has to worry, throw in Coates and i'm sleeping like a baby Saturday night.

I'm worried about stopping the run and turnovers and to an extent. I also worry about conservative play calling with a small lead. And the refs.

I'm over Coates for now. He doesn't convert enough and has hand issues Rogers and Ayers seem more clutch.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I'm worried about stopping the run and turnovers and to an extent. I also worry about conservative play calling with a small lead. And the refs.

I'm over Coates for now. He doesn't convert enough and has hand issues Rogers and Ayers seem more clutch.

You shouldn't be worried about the Steelers run defense. Our D will spend all week focusing on that and that alone. Tuitt is playing and that's huge. I do think we'll be more vulnerable to the pass because of the emphasis on stopping Ajayi. If the Dolphins are smart, they will come out throwing. You don't win playoffs games by thinking you can just line up and run the ball down your opponent's throat (when the opponent is geared to stop that).

Last edited: