• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sporting News: Steelers Gold Standard

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/amp/nfl...hips-art-dan-rooney/l7pwn6nh83c41pawx40itza8g

I learned early in my NFL career that the key to consistent success is strong ownership and management. The Patriots’ run over the past 17 years during the Robert Kraft/Bill Belichick era is a prime example.

But for sustained success that has lasted almost 50 years, the best organization in the NFL — and perhaps all of the sports world — resides in the Steel City.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are a storied, iconic franchise with a championship pedigree fueled by terrific ownership and management. The team has stayed in the Rooney family for 84 years, transferred from founding owner Art Rooney to his son Dan, who passed away in April. Today, Art Rooney II is lead owner and president.

MORE: Pittsburgh championship memories

For the NFL franchise with the most Super Bowl titles (six), success starts at the top. The Rooneys are tremendous people and great franchise operators. I've known, liked and respected Dan and Art II for more than 30 years. They were bred to run the Steelers and, despite all the winning seasons and championships, have remained friendly, humble, low-ego and never in panic mode.

The Rooneys' management philosophy has carried over to their heads of football operations through the years, including current leader Kevin Colbert, who is the first to hold the general manager title. It's about drafting well, making key free-agent and trade acquisitions and then developing the players with excellent coaching staffs. And not overreacting to anything negative.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just to be VERY clear as they compare the CHEATRIOTS to our beloved STEELERS. Our franchise does it respectfully as opposed to them bending everything they can.

The Rooney's or should I say us fans were VERY fortunate to have Art purchase this franchise. We get forgetful as to just how winning this team really is. I, as well as many here have lived through some tough seasons but can you imagine the Bungles or the Browns or the Jaguars or several other teams along the way???? To often we take this franchise for granted or hold them to such high standards it is just not obtainable. I'm definately not asking to cut them some slack as I feel that a part of this "high standard" is a contributing fact into the ability to out perform all others.
........The STEELERS have performed at this level for quite some time and can the CHEATRIOTS perform that long??? I doubt it as when the coach and more importantly Earnie call it quits that franchise will seep back into the sewers that it created. The STEELERS have survived generations of top ownership and I am very proud to call them MY TEAM.!!!!!!!!!!

Salute the nation

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers have done this for 40 years. That's an admirable record but the team can't bank on that forever.

Steelerfan

Reaction score
Just to be VERY clear as they compare the CHEATRIOTS to our beloved STEELERS. Our franchise does it respectfully as opposed to them bending everything they can.

The Rooney's or should I say us fans were VERY fortunate to have Art purchase this franchise. We get forgetful as to just how winning this team really is. I, as well as many here have lived through some tough seasons but can you imagine the Bungles or the Browns or the Jaguars or several other teams along the way???? To often we take this franchise for granted or hold them to such high standards it is just not obtainable. I'm definately not asking to cut them some slack as I feel that a part of this "high standard" is a contributing fact into the ability to out perform all others.
........The STEELERS have performed at this level for quite some time and can the CHEATRIOTS perform that long??? I doubt it as when the coach and more importantly Earnie call it quits that franchise will seep back into the sewers that it created. The STEELERS have survived generations of top ownership and I am very proud to call them MY TEAM.!!!!!!!!!!

Salute the nation

You really need to get your act together. You need to go back to USING THIS FONT SIZE