• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Some think it's the right thing to do............... ROETHLISBERGER

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Franchise QB's always are higher on the pecking order than any other position. They don't want another Troy situation.

Rooney did just say they want Ben back, but not at the 41 million dollar cap hit and Ben knows that.

I disagree about Ben's standing. They are both iconic players in my mind, but Troy was exemplary on and off the field. I read that about the money. The problem is quite simple. Any money "saved" at him playing next year is simply money pushed down the road to 2022 with us all right back here next year at this time. The hard thing to do, but the one that puts you on a better footing in 2022 is eating the20 million hit and moving on with a clean slate and cheap QB in 2022.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Cowher thinks we can win another Super Bowl with Ben, but I’m not sure he’s taking everything into consideration.

Bill was saying that only if he were coach.
Just kidding of course.

Stewey

Reaction score
I’ve gone back and forth in my mind about should he stay or should he go. Hmm! Reminds me of an old song.
Anyway I’ve come to a final conclusion at least in my mind that despite all the thrilling, exciting and wonderful moments Ben has given us and a HOF career, it’s best for him to retire.
Yes we would eat the 22 million dead cap money much like with AB after he was cut loose but we save 19 million against the cap which added to the savings from Pouncey and Vance, that’s like 32 million. That immediately puts us in compliance and with some restructure of other contracts and release of some other players, suddenly we have some money.
Maybe we can extend Cam Sutton and Logan and who knows, maybe find money for Bud.
Next try and fix this OL and draft a good RB and roll the dice with Mason.
Give Mason the training camp and preseason under Matt Canada with a retooled OL and running game and give him his final shot. If he succeeds and we make the playoffs and God forbid Tomlin had the team prepared to win a playoff game then give Mason a well earned extension. If on the other hand he flops then the team will no doubt have a losing record and we have a good enough draft position to get our QB.
By keeping Ben all we’re doing is prolonging the inevitable salary cap hit in 2022. And what have we really accomplished in 2021 with a 39 year old QB? Nothing! I doubt we would make the playoffs with Ben in 2021. Yep, that’s my thoughts on the Ben drama as we have it today. I’m ready to move on so we can se if Mason is our guy or our QB is in the 2022 draft.

Agree. Ben should retire, but my reasons are much more simpler.

1. Slim chance to none we're winning the SB next season.
2. We need to find our next QB.

For those wishing Ben to stay another year, I thought you were sick hearing about another non losing season.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Fix the Oline and give Ben a running game. Boom, problem solved.

Exactly, no reason a 39 year old QB should be throwing 50 times a game.

They need to allow the defense to be more aggressive, what's the point of trading a 1 for Minkah if you're just going to leave him 20 yards off the LOS while your slow ILB is trying to cover wr's in the middle of the field.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Fix the Oline and give Ben a running game. Boom, problem solved.

I just love this kinda ****. Call the genie. Fixed, no problem. They literally have one young asset on the oline in Dotson. Everyone else is not going to improve other than maybe some better coaching (Which Tomlin has never shown the ability to provide unless Munchak comes back). Feiler will be gone. Al could be a cap casualty Ben may get Pouncey back to airmail some more snaps on the way to another phoney assed pro bowl year. Banner could have been good, but he is another UFA. Oh and while you are drafting all the talent on the oline to boom solve this problem, who is going to run it. ****** gold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steelmann

Reaction score
I just love this kinda ****. Call the genie. Fixed, no problem. They literally have one young asset on the oline in Dotson. Everyone else is not going to improve other than maybe some better coaching (Which Tomlin has never shown the ability to provide unless Munchak comes back). Feiler will be gone. Al could be a cap casualty Ben may get Pouncey back to airmail some more snaps on the way to another phoney assed pro bowl year. Banner could have been good, but he is another UFA. Oh and while you are drafting all the talent on the oline to boom solve this problem, who is going to run it. ****** gold.

Yep Sask you gotta chuckle. We draft 3 oline , magically they all start and gell perfectly in their first season to save our 39 year old QB who can’t move faster than a slug. It takes a few years to rebuild a line. It does not happen overnight. Of course, I hope I am wrong.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben has long history of not doing the right thing... but in all honesty who among us would leave 20m sitting on the table?? I think the worse thing i see, there is a mindset that Ben coming back is a good thing! Ben will have to prove that... cuz the rest league will put that to the test! And fact is he wasnt up to back couple years ago against Jacksonville, wasn’t up to it against horrible circumstance in the Cleveland game this year... just really putting all our eggs in the Ben basket just has not been successful. I’m kinda shocked how Pittsburgh has come to except crappiness as the new normal. Been watching the reruns on nfl network of the seventy Steelers. We had best players, best coaches, best fans, best owners. Best schemes! The coaches left in ‘78 went to the rams and took that team to the Super Bowl only to meet the mothership!!! Can you even think in your right mind think that could happen now? I don’t think any of our coaches are wanted by other teams. Supposedly dolphins may have been interested in Canada but that was more like a balloon floated by his agent. But Standing back can’t help but wonder where did it all go. Ben’s no savior and no hero but in the minds of those running this organization he is. He’s not a bad qb but longer he hangs around he won’t be remember as a once great player who lead us to 3 Super Bowls, he’ll be remember as a qb who hung around, collecting big paychecks, throwing ridiculous interceptions in big games and just generally stinking the place up! Even Brady the goat didn’t get away with that in Boston it’s Only in Pittsburgh now, where political correctness not really winning has become the new normal!

I do agree that it's time for Ben to call it career; however, I can't blame him for the Jacksonville playoff loss. While he did throw one interception, he also had five TD passes and over 450 yards passing in the game...while the defense allowed a Blake Bortles-led offense to put together touchdown drives of 66, 75, 61, and 75 yards. Ben even ran twice for 16 yards, which would seemingly be a monumental task for the guy here in 2021.