• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

So this occurred to me.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Watching Bell on his 9 yard run where he literally stood in place for 2 full seconds before that massive gap opened up in front of him -

What if, I'm just sayin' what if you took the most patient back in the league, known for being patient and the best wide receiver in the league known for pulling double-teams and you had that back take a deep handdoff from a shotgun formation while Brown was running a 7 yard drag route.

Then as Bell got up near the line he did his patented hesitation until the line and the linebackers crowded up on him and he turned and tossed the ball back to Roethlisberger.

Brown is running a delayed drag over the middle, waving his arms. Suddenly every freaking linebacker and safety on the field start a bee-line toward Brown.

Leaving a streaking Hey Bey all alone down the sideline for the 80 yard deep throw.

Just a thought.

The defense would HAVE to respect both Bell and Brown. They'd HAVE to. If executed well enough Ben would have an option with Brown, James, or Hey Bey. (Green if he could get into the game.)

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Watching Bell on his 9 yard run where he literally stood in place for 2 full seconds before that massive gap opened up in front of him -

What if, I'm just sayin' what if you took the most patient back in the league, known for being patient and the best wide receiver in the league known for pulling double-teams and you had that back take a deep handdoff from a shotgun formation while Brown was running a 7 yard drag route.

Then as Bell got up near the line he did his patented hesitation until the line and the linebackers crowded up on him and he turned and tossed the ball back to Roethlisberger.

Brown is running a delayed drag over the middle, waving his arms. Suddenly every freaking linebacker and safety on the field start a bee-line toward Brown.

Leaving a streaking Hey Bey all alone down the sideline for the 80 yard deep throw.

Just a thought.

The defense would HAVE to respect both Bell and Brown. They'd HAVE to. If executed well enough Ben would have an option with Brown, James, or Hey Bey. (Green if he could get into the game.)

Great in theory, but flea flickers take forever to set up. I am not certain if I would trust our OL to hold up for the time necessary on a consistent basis to let the play set up. Plus, by the time Ben gets the ball back in his hands Bey is going to be 30 yards down field and Ben is going to have to throw it 60 yards down field to hit him in stride. In addition, in the NFL most defenders are smart enough to tell that when the OL does not attack downfield on a run play some type of play action or gimmick is on. I think it's great in theory and even at the college level, but not sure it would work in the NFL on a consistent basis.

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
I say the same thing about those wr screens.....they should line up, Ben do a quick drop and pump fake, let one WR fake like he gonna block and just zip past the DB...if he gets a step its 6. The defense knows we love to throw that WR screen at least once a game....we should bait their ***** one time....I say in Foxboro....

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

Just a thought.

DHB would probably drop it...change it to a pass to Ayers and I'm with you on this....

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
As long as Bell sells the fake. Last time he took a handoff on a HB screen, he immediately opened up his posture to pass, and no one was fooled.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Phil Sims actually made a good comment. Bell pauses for a moment, then quickly moves the other way once the defender has momentum. Yes, he does.

But this style of running means you need a very good OL because if they lose their battle, you end up in trouble behind the line of scrimmage.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
similar opportunity....they run those crossing routes so often they should set it up but just as Ben pump fakes to the shallower crosser, the one running the deeper route breaks up field, he would be wide open.....

not that the crossing routes don't do enough to get one of them pretty wide open already.....

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

Just a thought.

You are close to describing Run Pass Option (RPO) offense that many colleges use. The only difference is instead of Bell standing there and deciding, it is the QB doing it. The QB takes the shotgun snap and puts it in the belly of the RB (the mesh point). He may hold that bqll there for a full second, waiting to see how the defense reacts. If the LBs come up fpr the run, the QB pulls the ball and throws. If the LBs drop, the QB either gives to the RB or he keeps it and runs himself.

There is a key difference between college and pro in the rules. In college, the OL is allowed to be blocking 3 yards past the line of scrimmage, so they can sell the run much better. In reality, OL often get 5 yards downfield before a pass is thrown and it is rarely called.

in the NFL, they are only allowed 1 yard downfield when the pass is thrown. This makes it much tougher to sell a slow developing play action pass. It is part of why Chip Kelly's offense is not quite as effective in the NFL.

I do think that the steelers should have a HB option pass in the playbook. Just as you described, Bell can wait in the hole and then throw a pass if something breaks wide open. Unlike college, where he could have that option on every play, it would have to be a called play fpr the steelers so the OL knows to stay on the line.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Great in theory, but flea flickers take forever to set up. I am not certain if I would trust our OL to hold up for the time necessary on a consistent basis to let the play set up. Plus, by the time Ben gets the ball back in his hands Bey is going to be 30 yards down field and Ben is going to have to throw it 60 yards down field to hit him in stride. In addition, in the NFL most defenders are smart enough to tell that when the OL does not attack downfield on a run play some type of play action or gimmick is on.

That's the unique thing about Bell. He regularly DOES hold at the line for a second or so and cause the linebackers to freeze. He stood for a full 2 seconds yesterday until a gaping hole opened up.

He could in fact easily freeze the linebackers just by playing his normal game. He would have to "sell it" though.

As for Heyward Bey, he'd have to sell his route too. He'd have to delay a moment before breaking deep. They may design it so he heads in as if to block a linebacker or safety for Bell (obviously he can't actually initiate contact downfield on a pas play, but he's got to look like he's working toward that), then after a moment, cut out toward the pylon. It may work with Brown against the Chiefs as they do so much man, but most teams use zone and will double Brown. With Heyward Bey (or Rogers or Ayers) you have a better chance of them getting singled up and free over the top.

Obviously they'd need to practice it and feel as though everyone could execute it.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My opinion is why go to gimmick plays. UNTIL they stop the tried and tested WORKING plays why go to trickery. We have sometimes said the "bruce" out smarted himself, well wig, this may be a similar case.

Salute the nation

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I say the same thing about those wr screens.....they should line up, Ben do a quick drop and pump fake, let one WR fake like he gonna block and just zip past the DB...

They did a version of that against the Ravens, where Ben pump-faked the WR screen, then hit Rogers in the huge void left in the defense when the CB's reacted to the WR screen fake.

Thing went for 16 yards.

TazManianDevil

Forefather
Reaction score
I say the same thing about those wr screens.....they should line up, Ben do a quick drop and pump fake, let one WR fake like he gonna block and just zip past the DB...if he gets a step its 6. The defense knows we love to throw that WR screen at least once a game....we should bait their ***** one time....I say in Foxboro....

They did against the Giants. .that's how green got his 2nd td

Slash#10

Reaction score
We've done that. It's in Todd Haley playbook. But what we haven't seen is a WR screen option pass. 2 years ago the Patriots pulled this off against the Ravens in the playoffs. I think Brown is capable of throwing down the field. Seeing how he has executed a 50 yrd TD, I think it'll be wide open.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steelerfan

Reaction score

Just a thought.

If this doesn't work, we could do the old "statue of liberty" play.

Steelerfan

Reaction score
My opinion is why go to gimmick plays. UNTIL they stop the tried and tested WORKING plays why go to trickery. We have sometimes said the "bruce" out smarted himself, well wig, this may be a similar case.

Salute the nation

Admit it, you miss the triple reverse draw fake play action razmanazz on 3rd and inches. :wave:

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
for something like that to work, you'd have to put Brown on one side and run Bell to the same side, with Grimble running a LOS pattern, staying in the trash, to the opposite side then upfield.