• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Silverback training with the young bucks

Steel Ballin

Reaction score
Harrison down to Steelers, Titans

PITTSBURGH -- James Harrison took to social media Saturday to announce he will decide between re-signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers or joining Dick LeBeau with the Tennessee Titans.

The five-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker posted a video on Instagram

that featured his two young sons, with one saying he should return to the Steelers and the other saying he should sign with the Titans.

Harrison said he will "pray" before making a decision.

"The opinions of my support team are split, but for me, my love for the man who both started, and made my career what it is, is undeniable," Harrison wrote on Instagram. "There are no words that I can find that would do justice for everything Dick LeBeau has done for me & my career and nothing can compare to that!

"I also have a great amount of love for Steelers Nation & the Steelers organization. I'm going to pray on this and let God guide me in the right direction."

Among free-agent outside linebackers, Harrison, who turns 37 in May, is the best fit for the Steelers.

LeBeau parted ways with the Steelers in January after 11 seasons as the team's defensive coordinator. He joined coach Ken Whisenhunt's staff with the Titans in February as an assistant head coach/defense.

LeBeau will run the defense, and the Titans apparently still covet Harrison after re-signing outside linebacker Derrick Morgan and also signing Brian Orakpo earlier this month.

A rejuvenated Harrison emerged as the Steelers' best pass rusher in 2014 after they talked him out of retirement following the loss of starting outside linebacker Jarvis Jones.
Harrison recorded 5.5 sacks -- third-most on the Steelers -- in 11 regular-season games despite having to play his way into shape at the age of 36.

Harrison had officially retired at Steelers headquarters two days before the team's season opener, but veterans such as Troy Polamalu, Brett Keisel and Ike Taylor persuaded the five-time Pro Bowler and 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year to return for one more season.

Harrison, who is third on the Steelers' all-time list with 69.5 career sacks, turned in one of the most remarkable plays in Super Bowl history in 2008. He feigned a blitz with the Arizona Cardinals at the Steelers 1-yard line and then dropped into coverage. Harrison picked off a slant pass and rumbled 100 yards for the touchdown with no time left in the first half.
LeBeau has called it the greatest play in Super Bowl history.

Harrison played parts of 12 seasons for the Steelers in two stints.

The Steelers released Harrison in 2013 after the two sides could not agree on a pay cut. The Bengals signed Harrison to a two-year contract but they released him after Harrison played limited snaps in Cincinnati in 2013.

Harrison later put retirement on hold after Jones went down with a dislocated wrist in a Steelers' win over the Carolina Panthers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12532039/james-harrison-decide-pittsburgh-steelers-tennessee-titans

Last edited:

madtacker

Reaction score
Jones would probably pretty easily kick any of our *****...and it probably wouldn't be close.
I wasn't referring to him fighting me. I am referring to him taking on monster left tackles that are twice his size.

This is the first pic I have seen of him in street clothes and it didn't look to me like he has really added anything since his rookie year.

Ya know like the team asked him to do.

That said search every single post and you wont EVER find one with me saying one negative thing about Jarvis. Believe me I hope the guy leads the league in sacks this year.

I am not knocking they guy just stating my observation of his size.

Omar10213245

πŸ‘€πŸ‘‚πŸŽƒπŸˆπŸ‡πŸ₯‘πŸ†πŸ‹πŸͺ‚πŸŒžπŸŒ›πŸŒœβ˜‚β˜”β„πŸŒŠπŸ₯΄πŸ€¬πŸ₯Ί
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he's tired of everyone beating a dead horse? As for you... you sound like more of a whiner than him.

Cool! Thanks for your input!Fingers_and_thumb_in_circle_downward_motion.jpg

Last edited:

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
James, looks to be in the best shape of all of them even though he is the oldest. I still wish we had signed him and let Woodley walk instead of handing out the giant contract. I believe Woodley is out of football now is he not?
Nice stretch. Shazier and the dude on the left end look totally stacked.

Omar10213245

πŸ‘€πŸ‘‚πŸŽƒπŸˆπŸ‡πŸ₯‘πŸ†πŸ‹πŸͺ‚πŸŒžπŸŒ›πŸŒœβ˜‚β˜”β„πŸŒŠπŸ₯΄πŸ€¬πŸ₯Ί
Contributor
Reaction score

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
CAkIchVUUAAN7HO.jpg:large

Damn! Jarvis knows he's got no muscle mass. If you look, you can see he's trying to make his biceps look bigger by pushing them with his fist. lol. Everyone else has their hands in a more natural position. Well, as natural as you can get when crossing your arms. smh.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Let's hope Harrison can put 5 to 10 lbs of solid muscle and strength onto Jones this offseason. That's what he needs.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Yeah, Jarvis need to get stronger. You can't teach speed but you can get functional strength and that is what he needs. Harrison is just a beast when it comes to strength so lets hope JJ can benefit from watch how he works out.

ianv2012

Reaction score
Harrison will be training with young LBs for several more weeks. I think this is excellent, not just learning with and from Harrison for these guys (which is important for guys like JJ especally) but the more tight knit these guys become the better they will play.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2015/03/young-steelers-linebackers-will-train-with-james-harrison-for-next-several-weeks/

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
If I were Zumwalt and Howard Jones, I'd have tried to move heaven and earth to get out there. Not just for the lifting, but for the chance to be around Deebo and try to learn the finer points of playing OLB from him. Hope those guys are training hard because there is an opportunity here for those that have put in the work and have the ability to take it.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Harrison said Williams has already put on a good bit of strength. Need to hear that about Jones. Williams has looked good when on the field. He could be a sleeper to step up even more this year. The competition in the weight room now and then on the field in OTA's and camp is only a good thing.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Vince Williams will be our starting ILB in 2 years, next to Shazier

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Vince Williams will be our starting ILB in 2 years, next to Shazier

You never know. I have read where some think the Steelers won't sign Timmons to a 3rd contract but then again, I have read that they would be fools not to.

ark steel

Reaction score
You never know. I have read where some think the Steelers won't sign Timmons to a 3rd contract but then again, I have read that they would be fools not to.

I don't think they can afford to sign Timmons to the kind of contracthing with the cap hits he has now. If someone wants to pay him that or more, I think they have to let him go.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
Timmons cap hits have only been the way they are because they keep restructuring roster bonuses and salaries into signing bonus, pushing the cap hits further into his contract. His contract isn't that bad, as it was originally signed.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
How cool is this. Harrison is worth every penny. If we get better production out of the LBs because of the early strength training, it can go a long way to help to make our OLBs a strength this season.

Super cool Silverback!

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Timmons cap hits have only been the way they are because they keep restructuring roster bonuses and salaries into signing bonus, pushing the cap hits further into his contract. His contract isn't that bad, as it was originally signed.

yeap but would you give him another one like that? Say 30 millions for 3 years (assuming the cap goes up and the salary as well cause probably that will be top 5 ILB kind of money in a couple of years)?
He'll be 30 I think when his contract ends

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think they can afford to sign Timmons to the kind of contracthing with the cap hits he has now. If someone wants to pay him that or more, I think they have to let him go.

I hear ya but they could look to reduce his current cap hits and extend him like they did with Ben. Most in the league think Timmons is among the best even though Steelers fans don't agree. Time will tell. I believe an article I had read on this said they could look to extend him next year.

Vader

Reaction score
I hear ya but they could look to reduce his current cap hits and extend him like they did with Ben. Most in the league think Timmons is among the best even though Steelers fans don't agree. Time will tell. I believe an article I had read on this said they could look to extend him next year.

Timmons had 90 tackles, 0 ints, 2 sacks, 0 FF, and 1 PD.

Foote in his last year when everybody wanted to run him out of town playing the same position had:

75 tackles, 0 ints, 4 sacks, 2 FF, and 2 PD. But he was a bum.

Timmons is a good ILB but he still makes boneheaded mistakes and can take bad angles. He is a liability against the pass and was burned often by TEs this year. He can't get to the QB either. He's a solid player but not a dominant player.

Wingman

Reaction score

Foote in his last year when everybody wanted to run him out of town playing the same position had:

Timmons is a good ILB but he still makes boneheaded mistakes and can take bad angles. He is a liability against the pass and was burned often by TEs this year. He can't get to the QB either. He's a solid player but not a dominant player.

Sure makes Larry look a lot better when you drop that nugget, or makes Timmons look much worse than his fans claim.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Red-X.png

please try again.
you included the stat "tackles" which has been previously determined to be a useless stat in all things football related.

Wingman

Reaction score
So the only stat that shows Timmons better than Foote Tackles doesn't count? Alrighty then.

Vader

Reaction score
So the only stat that shows Timmons better than Foote Tackles doesn't count? Alrighty then.

Ok... let's throw the tackles out. Timmons is much worse than Foote.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score

yeah, sure does make Timmons seem like a bum when you don't include the total tackles (everyone raves about Willis tackles, Keuchly's tackles, etc and then list the total not solo).

Timmons was at 132 to Footes 113, that tells me that Timmons was in on a lot more plays than Foote was. Also that wasn't Foote's last year, he got hurt early the next year for us. Also, EVERYONE on the team last year was short on sacks, our team leader had 7.5. Foote was also playing next to Timmons during that season, where as Timmons was playing with a "by committee" crew that included a rookie, second year player, and a third year player making his first actual game time appearances. Apples to Oranges. Why not compare Timmons 2012 to Footes 2012? Or Timmons 2014 to Footes 2014. You can steer stats to look however you want the argument to go, just pick and choose the ones you want.