• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should Haskins make the 53 man?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I’m probably going to get a lot of flack for this but I still have hope for Rudolph. Here’s why. The closest scenario I’ve found to Rudolph is Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers fell in the draft. Him and Alex Smith were perceived as the only two first round quality QBs that draft so the ‘9ers were doing their due diligence in figuring out who to draft. Smith went first and because of lack of need plus some of Rodgers short comings he fell to the late first to the packers.

In 2018 there were 6 possible first round picks at QB with Rudolph being in that discussion. Baker, Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Lamar all went first round. But like Rodgers Mason worry was being a system QB. He fell until the third round the Steelers decided to take him and let him sit behind a future HOF QB. Sound familiar?

Rodgers sat for 3 years getting the very rare mop of duty. His 4th year he started and had good, not great, stats. And that was his MO for his first 3 years starting. He was good but not Favre good and the fans still griped a little. But his 7th year and 4th starting Rodgers blew up and stopped the comparison to his former tutor with an MVP season. The rest is history.

So this is Rudolph’s 4th season and we’ll probably not see him play unless Roethlisberger gets hurt. But looking at his game vs the Browns he got the ball out quicker, was decently accurate, and even playing in a meaningless game vs a team fighting for a playoff spot nearly beat them. I feel this is Big Ben’s last year. Rudolph isn’t going to wait forever and Roethlisberger isn’t getting younger. If the coaches like Rudolph the Rooney’s will ask Ben to retire and I believe he will. I don’t see him being Rivers or Brady and going somewhere else.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
What we learned from Friday's games

Not everyone thinks Haskins sucked last night. I think he struggled mightily but if Josh is hurt Dwayne is safe...
I read that synopsis. Some people are gonna see what they want no matter what. You can excuse his performance. He was playing the game with lower level teammates vs. upper level competition. But you cannot sugar coat the way he played. He sure as hell didn't look more comfortable. C'mon.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I’m probably going to get a lot of flack for this but I still have hope for Rudolph. Here’s why. The closest scenario I’ve found to Rudolph is Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers fell in the draft. Him and Alex Smith were perceived as the only two first round quality QBs that draft so the ‘9ers were doing their due diligence in figuring out who to draft. Smith went first and because of lack of need plus some of Rodgers short comings he fell to the late first to the packers.

In 2018 there were 6 possible first round picks at QB with Rudolph being in that discussion. Baker, Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Lamar all went first round. But like Rodgers Mason worry was being a system QB. He fell until the third round the Steelers decided to take him and let him sit behind a future HOF QB. Sound familiar?

Rodgers sat for 3 years getting the very rare mop of duty. His 4th year he started and had good, not great, stats. And that was his MO for his first 3 years starting. He was good but not Favre good and the fans still griped a little. But his 7th year and 4th starting Rodgers blew up and stopped the comparison to his former tutor with an MVP season. The rest is history.

So this is Rudolph’s 4th season and we’ll probably not see him play unless Roethlisberger gets hurt. But looking at his game vs the Browns he got the ball out quicker, was decently accurate, and even playing in a meaningless game vs a team fighting for a playoff spot nearly beat them. I feel this is Big Ben’s last year. Rudolph isn’t going to wait forever and Roethlisberger isn’t getting younger. If the coaches like Rudolph the Rooney’s will ask Ben to retire and I believe he will. I don’t see him being Rivers or Brady and going somewhere else.
Did AR struggle early in the redzone or is Rudy's nose still the brightest?

We can hope we can ponder but I doubt he leads the sled down yonder.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I read that synopsis. Some people are gonna see what they want no matter what. You can excuse his performance. He was playing the game with lower level teammates vs. upper level competition. But you cannot sugar coat the way he played. He sure as hell didn't look more comfortable. C'mon.
Easily Haskins worst performance of the preseason. One game doesn't make a whole preseason but when it is time to shine and you don't. I would think a head coach would take notice. Not saying the outcome is he isn't making the roster but it might have lessened their expectations of him moving forward.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Easily Haskins worst performance of the preseason. One game doesn't make a whole preseason but when it is time to shine and you don't. I would think a head coach would take notice. Not saying the outcome is he isn't making the roster but it might have lessened their expectations of him moving forward.
The only to be fair is that Carolina treated it quite a bit more like the Steelers treated the Lions game and the Steelers were looking for a safe place to lay down. If they played Rudolph and Haskins series by series against Carolina it would have been a fairer comparison.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The only to be fair is that Carolina treated it quite a bit more like the Steelers treated the Lions game and the Steelers were looking for a safe place to lay down. If they played Rudolph and Haskins series by series against Carolina it would have been a fairer comparison.
Perhaps. But statistically Haskins has the worst accuracy in camp. That was highlighted in play. Sure what you say is factored in but his accuracy IMO needs to improve for him to be a successful starter.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Perhaps. But statistically Haskins has the worst accuracy in camp. That was highlighted in play. Sure what you say is factored in but his accuracy IMO needs to improve for him to be a successful starter.
Oh I don't disagree Slash. I think the Haskins train derailed heavy Friday. And was very overblown to begin with.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Did AR struggle early in the redzone or is Rudy's nose still the brightest?

We can hope we can ponder but I doubt he leads the sled down yonder.
Rudolph threw 2/1 td to int vs the Browns. I’m not calling it a red zone struggle until he’s the starter and can’t push it home.

look at the Browns game. The one bad throw was him not having experience to eat it. He threw to his safety valve in JuJu but it was a blind presnap decision. The safety moves to that side of the field and if that blitz is picked up I think we have a big play to DJ.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
No, it doesn't sound familiar at all. Rodgers was projected to go very early in the draft and dropped to late first round. If there were any discussions about Rudolph being a first round pick, they were brief. He was projected by most to go in the second round, and he "fell" to the middle of the third. Nothing similar about it.

I know you love you some Mason Rudolph, but you're really stretching the truth here.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Haskins should make the team & a single preseason game should not deter that.

Nothing changed in that he’s a project for 2022. He’s got massive talent & a year of hard work was always the plan for him.
If it works, great. If not, he got a chance.

Bottom line, he was never in 2021 plans and unless injuries occur he won’t see field all season anyway

Pollardo40

Reaction score
I don’t see a way he’s not QB3 week 1. They didn’t sign him to the deal they did hoping he was going to be a savior.

he’s shown improvement, and from what I’ve read and read, improved leadership and maturity. And that’s what I believe they wanted to see.
he had a rough game, but there were very few bright spots in this game. Looking at the full body of work, I think he’s definitely grabbed a roster spot.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I suspect the team sees Dobbs' injury as a wonderful opportunity to stash him on at least the 8 week IR if not the whole season.
Players have to clear waivers to go on the PS and while Dobbs might clear waivers I don't think a former first-round QB pick like Haskins would.

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Brees was mediocre his first three years… after basically redshirting year 1, they force fed him starts, he had a sub 60% completion percentage, threw more picks than tds… averaged 6 yards per attempt… got benched 3 times, and saw the chargers spend a huge amount of draft capital acquiring Philip Rivers… that same year they drafted Rivers Brees career finally came together….

There are enough qbs that developed later in their career that you know it happens… rich gannon was a journeyman scrub until he was 34, then made 4 consecutive pro bowls, two first team all pros, and played in a super bowl….

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I suspect the team sees Dobbs' injury as a wonderful opportunity to stash him on at least the 8 week IR if not the whole season.
Players have to clear waivers to go on the PS and while Dobbs might clear waivers I don't think a former first-round QB pick like Haskins would.
He cleared waivers before and sat by the phone for a month before we gave him the league minimum with no guarantees. After sucking this preseason (minus the blown coverage and offsides play) I don’t think there’s much to worry about.