• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Season and possible direction of the franchise at its tipping point.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
3 out of 5 years without a winning season? One bad season? 60% of the last 5 seasons not even winning seasons? Vote with your wallets; don't show up for this pile of horse ****.

Just stating the facts about how the Rooney's do business. Don't shoot the messenger. There's a reason we're not Cleveland.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet that Tomlin's mode of coaching is to do all the week prep and turn things over to the Coordinators on game days. Wis whole game day additions are Red Flag Challenges and clock management.

Day after games, he is responsible for media spin and lack of planning for the next week game.

I honestly believe he allows the OC & DC to run the show during the games. Sometimes management styles like that work, but you have to have the right middle managers and employees with self motivation. I believe we do not have those pieces in abundance to make it work.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Porter? The one area on the team arguably the worst? Promote that coach?

no thank you.

BTW I still love me some peezy..

It's hard to say since they can't seem to draft good talent on defense, or talent that can stay healthy and on the field. Remember, they're not playing with their top people at LB. They're playing with Moats, Chickillo, Matekevich, and a 38 year old Deebo who was a UDFA by the way.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah it's predictable as hell. Of course we will beat Dallas. This team only shows up for the big games. They only show up when they absolutely have to. When they don't think they need to put forth their full effort, they absolutely will not.

And I don't give a damn what they say about having the same mentality against every team or whatever. They just don't. Of ******* course they will beat Dallas. And it will not change my mind about Tomlin. In fact, it will only make me support him even less because we all KNOW what this team is capable of, yet somehow we're always on the outside looking into the playoffs or home field because of giving away games we had no business losing.

How do you beat the hottest team in the league but lose to Miami and Baltimore? But that's exactly what we're going to do. And we may even go to the playoffs, and we will lose out on a home game or two because of the Miami and Baltimore games. And probably the Cleveland game that we'll inevitably lose too. Or we just won't make the playoffs altogether because we'll miss it by one game in the final week when we didn't get enough help from all the other 9-7 teams. Which could have easily been avoided by beating Miami, Baltimore, or Cleveland (inevitable road loss coming)

Steeler

Contributor
Reaction score
The inconsistency of this team is absolutely mind boggling. Such high hopes, completely **** on.
I look at the fire I see in this buffalo game tonight, we have none that I see on game day.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin will be around for quite awhile. He has never been below .500 and while Ben is his lead dog, he may not fall below while he has him. If he leaves it will be at his resignation/retirement whichever comes first.

Spike

Reaction score
If the team does continue to under-perform, I can see the Rooney's not giving Tomlin another contract.

HA!

From the inventors of the Rooney Rule?

They would never do such a thing - Tomlin has this job for life

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Not every coach can take a franchise, likely future HOF QB and turn that into 8-8 year after year...oops my bad he did muster up a playoff win in the last 5 years after the Jets so graciously handed us an invitation to the dance last year. We gotta renew this guys contract before someone steals him from us. Hell, he's turning us into the Norv Turner Chargers...why not just go get the real thing?

etelpmoc msacras

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
HA!

From the inventors of the Rooney Rule?

They would never do such a thing - Tomlin has this job for life

Not sure. One of the newspaper guys was commenting on this and he brought up how Cowher was done after his contract after 15 years. Tomlin has been here 10, I think and will be close to that at the end of his current contract. If the team continues to under-perform, they may decide to ask him to retire/not offer him an extension - similar to how Cowher went out. Ben retiring right around that time might have something to do with Tomlin staying or going also. Is Tomlin the guy to have when basically starting over? Will Tomlin still want to be here when Ben is done? Not having a franchise QB sucks. Cowher suffered through that for two-thirds of his career and the back half of Noll's career was the same.

deljzc

Reaction score
I don't know how people still defend Tomlin.

We haven't had an exciting Steelers season since 2010. That's like AGES ago in NFL years.

You guys are falling for the wrong guy. He's not going to lead us to anything anymore. You either wake up and admit we have a problem that starts at the top or you don't.

Doesn't really matter I guess. Winning football games isn't the most important thing in the world. If you want to accept mediocre and dumb football (albeit exciting at times), go right ahead. I am finding it more and more boring.

This team has played dumb since Tomlin got here. The general I.Q. of the team in down/distance/situational football has fallen dramatically in the last decade. The new faces we bring in are dumb when they walk in the building and aren't taught anything to get smarter.

It's acceptable.

The game on Sunday was a disgrace. Our first 11 drives ended in NINE 3-and-outs, 1 turnover (on the first play of the drive), a blocked up for TD (on a 3-and-out) and ONE drive with a first down that didn't come by penalty (and ended up being a 5-play drive).

In those 11 drives and only 33 plays we had 5 penalties.

Baltimore was bad as well (Flacco was awful) but not even CLOSE to as bad as we were.

How many games are we going to **** the bed like that on the road as favorites before we wake up and admit we have a problem from the top that has systemically infected everything on this team? That there is no accountability or pride or professionalism or intelligence BECAUSE of the man at the top? BECAUSE of the way the team is built?

Oh well.... keep chasing non-losing seasons. Tomlin's great at that. I've about had it with this bunch.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't know how people still defend Tomlin.

We haven't had an exciting Steelers season since 2010. That's like AGES ago in NFL years.

You guys are falling for the wrong guy. He's not going to lead us to anything anymore. You either wake up and admit we have a problem that starts at the top or you don't.

Doesn't really matter I guess. Winning football games isn't the most important thing in the world. If you want to accept mediocre and dumb football (albeit exciting at times), go right ahead. I am finding it more and more boring.

This team has played dumb since Tomlin got here. The general I.Q. of the team in down/distance/situational football has fallen dramatically in the last decade. The new faces we bring in are dumb when they walk in the building and aren't taught anything to get smarter.

It's acceptable.

The game on Sunday was a disgrace. Our first 11 drives ended in NINE 3-and-outs, 1 turnover (on the first play of the drive), a blocked up for TD (on a 3-and-out) and ONE drive with a first down that didn't come by penalty (and ended up being a 5-play drive).

In those 11 drives and only 33 plays we had 5 penalties.

Baltimore was bad as well (Flacco was awful) but not even CLOSE to as bad as we were.

How many games are we going to **** the bed like that on the road as favorites before we wake up and admit we have a problem from the top that has systemically infected everything on this team? That there is no accountability or pride or professionalism or intelligence BECAUSE of the man at the top? BECAUSE of the way the team is built?

Oh well.... keep chasing non-losing seasons. Tomlin's great at that. I've about had it with this bunch.

We might have a losing season this year. But my standards are higher.

In sports Expectations minus Reality = happiness. Most fans here predicted 10-6 to 12-4. Not going to happen...

I expect more, and the decline of the franchise is 3-4 years away when Ben retires. Now is the time to fix things.

For those old enough to remember, it took over ten years to find another decent quarterback after Bradshaw retired and that guy needed a great team around him to make the lowB repuS. Sure we BS ourselves that the next man taking snaps might be the answer, but deep down we all knew he was not.

deljzc

Reaction score
You can't fix things. Colbert / Tomlin / Roethlisberger aren't going anywhere. They are the problem. They all have too high opinions of themselves. And the fans/media pander to them all the time. None of their **** stinks.

They think what they've "accomplished" over the last 5 years is acceptable. If they find it acceptable then nothing us fans think is going to make a difference.

This team has started seasons as follows:

2011: 2-2
2012: 2-3
2013: 0-4 (and 2-6)
2014: 3-3
2015: 4-4
2016: 4-4

In these beginning of seasons, where coaching and preparation REALLY matter to build confidence, this is when we've lost 8 times as favorites and only won 4 times as underdogs.

It drains all the excitement out of seasons when your team starts and ***** the bed on otherwise optimistic training camps. And we are doing it now, year after year after year for SIX STRAIGHT SEASONS.....

Come on folks. This is unacceptable. Colbert (who I wanted to fire two seasons ago) or Tomlin have to go. Just to shake things up on these awful off-seasons and training camps that keep leading to incredibly slow and disappointing starts to seasons. There is WAY too much comfort in the Colbert - Tomlin - Roethlisberger leadership on this team and they have become lackadaisical in their urgency and preparation, which is completely evident in the starts to seasons now. They just don't light the fire until their backs are against the wall, which is wrong.

I have no doubt the Steelers might scratch their way back to 9-7 or 10-6. Even looking good as the season winds down. And maybe even winning a playoff game as home divisional champs against a weak AFC wildcard team. But come on, this team is going NO WHERE and everyone here knows it.

As Coach says, our standards and expectations should be higher.

Spike

Reaction score
What people fail to understand is there's no savior coming off the bench on defense - it is what it is - a whole bunch of mediocre talent underachievers - I won't waste spit talking about them anymore.

The offense needs to play to it's strengths, and let Ben run the offense, FROM THE OPENING QUARTER.

But football is still football, you want to win your division first to get in the playoffs - we have just as good a shot as the rest of the weak AFC North.

SB or bust **** is for the Madden GM ******* - go back to your consoles with your Mountain Dew and Cheesie puffs....

One Game at a time.

ayep

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
What people fail to understand is there's no savior coming off the bench on defense - it is what it is - a whole bunch of mediocre talent underachievers - I won't waste spit talking about them anymore.

The offense needs to play to it's strengths, and let Ben run the offense, FROM THE OPENING QUARTER.

But football is still football, you want to win your division first to get in the playoffs - we have just as good a shot as the rest of the weak AFC North.

SB or bust **** is for the Madden GM ******* - go back to your consoles with your Mountain Dew and Cheesie puffs....

One Game at a time.

ayep

Nothing wrong with mountain dew and cheesie puffs though. Good cheat snack to replenish the carbs ;)

But yeah, all Ben needs to do is work on a few adjustments and the offense can get reeling. There is some talent to make do. It all falls on team culture. Can Tomlin right this season? Who knows. But this week is a start