• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Season and possible direction of the franchise at its tipping point.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Up next are the 7-1 Dallas Cowboys. I hate the Cowboys. My brother is a huge Cowboys fan and we bet dinner whenever they play.

I will be on vacation for a week starting Wednesday, so I'll make an early prediction. Sorry-- I think we lose here and slip to 4 wins and 5 losses, with four losses in a row. Our margin of error, if the Cowboys defeat us will be very thin to make the playoffs.

Now here's where the season goes south if we lose. 4 of the next 5 games are on the road, some of which vs losing teams that still have a shot to make the playoffs, which we tend to lose more often than not lately.

I don't want to go all doom and gloom, but I see a real scenario where the 2016 Steelers do not recover. Tomlin isn't fine wine, he got an expiration date. While Tomlin's contract is up in 2018, there is an outside chance Rooney could act in the off season depending on who's out there and how the Stelers finish.

Otherwise, Tomlin will be playing for his job in 2017 season. If the Steelers crash and burn this year, I'd be for a new head coach in 2017. The good news is I'm pretty sure the Steelers will get the pick of the litter in 2017 or 2018 if Rooney decides to act.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd be for a new head coach in 2017.

I am for a new head coach right now, hell I would pack his furniture for free, cut his grass, and wash his car on the way out of town.

Whatever it takes, just for the love of got damn it mane, leave.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
After watching the last three games and the Eagles game, what team shows up approach is catching up with this team under Tomlin. We have no identity as a team, well maybe that we get injured a lot. I know everyone looks at it as Tomlin will never be let go but how does the ownership stand still and see games as the last three. Maybe when the fans start not buying the high price tickets through ticket master they will get the idea. Till then will it be the same oh same oh with the only emotion coming from places as Steeler nation.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
After watching the last three games and the Eagles game, what team shows up approach is catching up with this team under Tomlin. We have no identity as a team, well maybe that we get injured a lot. I know everyone looks at it as Tomlin will never be let go but how does the ownership stand still and see games as the last three. [Bm]aybe when the fans start not buying the high price tickets through ticket master they will get the idea[/B]. Till then will it be the same oh same oh with the only emotion coming from places as Steeler nation.

that is what it would take, money being taken from their pocket.....

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm betting Tomlin does his bullshit jedi thing and they actually win next week.

They prepare like crazy and get the win over a "good team" that's due. Then of course the Bengals show up down the road and kick the Steelers' collective ***** because they all start thinking they've fixed something. Tomlin is defective. It is true the players play, but the coach is the guy who needs to lay the wood and make the players accountable for not showing up and doing their jobs.

The team IS good. But injuries and a tendency to "live in their fears" despite the mantra to the opposite have led them into a pretty rough situation. Ironically, had they won against the two teams they really should have beaten, Miami and Baltimore, things would look pretty good right now. But losses to dogs have them in the back seat.

That's pretty usual for the Steelers though. For some reason they seem to LIKE being the underdogs. It just seems like a helluva hard way to get to the top.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
"Franchise at its tipping point"

WTF?

Really,

WTF?????

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They could lose out and Tomlin won't be going anywhere. Just not going to happen. One bad year and the Rooney's will not act.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
"Franchise at its tipping point"

WTF?

Really,

WTF?????

definitely not at a tipping point

that would be Cleveland /J-Ville, etc.

but I think there is no team with equal talent, who does less.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't thinkl this FRANCHISE is anywhere near a tipping point. I do think the Rooney's have open eyes and contrary to popular belief, they may make an adjustment. I see possibly a new "special" teams and defensive coordinator next year. Tomlin on a bubble especially if we continue the "TREND" we are heading. He won't be going anywhere this season but next season isn't guaranteed. Trade Tomlin and Pouncy to Cleveland and get as many 1st & 2nd rounders as possible.

Salute the nation

coupon

Reaction score
I hope for a permanent vacation.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't thinkl this FRANCHISE is anywhere near a tipping point. I do think the Rooney's have open eyes and contrary to popular belief, they may make an adjustment. I see possibly a new "special" teams and defensive coordinator next year. Tomlin on a bubble especially if we continue the "TREND" we are heading. He won't be going anywhere this season but next season isn't guaranteed. Trade Tomlin and Pouncy to Cleveland and get as many 1st & 2nd rounders as possible.

Salute the nation
I would take it immediately, and not look back.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
They could lose out and Tomlin won't be going anywhere. Just not going to happen. One bad year and the Rooney's will not act.

My thoughts as well. 2018 would be the soonest we see a new HC, and I think that would take consecutive losing seasons.

steelhurt

Reaction score
If we end up out of the playoffs, a losing record, Tomlin will NOT be fired. No, instead there will be scapegoats! Butler, The SP Coach, Possibly Porter and Lake but not Tomlin.

xjx

Reaction score
I would look for a new HC. Let the new HC pick his own DC, maybe promote Porter? I dunno about keeping Butler. Long in the tooth maybe. A new HC could pick his own guys, but ,I'd encourage whoever it is to keep Munchack.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I would look for a new HC. Let the new HC pick his own DC, maybe promote Porter? I dunno about keeping Butler. Long in the tooth maybe. A new HC could pick his own guys, but ,I'd encourage whoever it is to keep Munchack.

Porter? The one area on the team arguably the worst? Promote that coach?

no thank you.

BTW I still love me some peezy..

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I know they won't fire Tomlin and also see this team as anywhere from 8-8 worst case with 9-7 likely and an outside shot at 10-6.

10-6 definitely gets us in, albeit in a bad seed or 9-7 and we are hoping for help in the final 2 weeks (ugh, seen that **** show before).

I would like to see a shock collar put on Tomlin for game days though. Anytime he should be talking to players, making adjustments, scolding refs, showing anything other than that blank I'm in over me head look on his face and BOOM...press the button and activate the shock collar so he has an effing clue that maybe he should try doing something during a game. And no more shades until he puts a win streak together.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
It is a tipping point when many thought this was the Steelers year, the only thing going for us at this point is the record of our division. Saying that look at the games left, Cleveland plays us tougher than they should, still have Ravens and cincy so we make our own outcome in the division.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I know they won't fire Tomlin and also see this team as anywhere from 8-8 worst case with 9-7 likely and an outside shot at 10-6.

10-6 definitely gets us in, albeit in a bad seed or 9-7 and we are hoping for help in the final 2 weeks (ugh, seen that **** show before).

I would like to see a shock collar put on Tomlin for game days though. Anytime he should be talking to players, making adjustments, scolding refs, showing anything other than that blank I'm in over me head look on his face and BOOM...press the button and activate the shock collar so he has an effing clue that maybe he should try doing something during a game. And no more shades until he puts a win streak together.

shock collar lulz

interesting

how often he just stands there you might put him in the hospital.

:devilish::devilish::devilish:

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If the team does continue to under-perform, I can see the Rooney's not giving Tomlin another contract but that's a couple years away.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin will be around for a bit. The Rooney's are into him. I think Tomlin will ride out until he retires. He's a Steelers HC. Will be cause the Rooney's commitment to stability. I think this philosophy is respectable but the league is just passing the Steelers by

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin will be around for a bit. The Rooney's are into him. I think Tomlin will ride out until he retires. He's a Steelers HC. Will be cause the Rooney's commitment to stability. I think this philosophy is respectable but the league is just passing the Steelers by

oh god please not be true

if true please retire soon, ****

P

POP

3 out of 5 years without a winning season? One bad season? 60% of the last 5 seasons not even winning seasons? Vote with your wallets; don't show up for this pile of horse ****.

oicu8ad

Reaction score
We need to practice tackling. Fundamentals.

And I'm sick of hearing about our "explosive offense". Implosive is more like it. Schizophrenic is more accurate.