• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ryan Leaf 20 years later

SteveA

Reaction score
A couple weeks back here in LA Ryan Leaf was on a Sports Talk Show. Been clean & sober 2 years working a program and has an Outreach for others struggling with drugs and alcohol. Maybe for many a waste of talent, and too little too late. For me someone clean & sober over 7 years, I am simply pleased that it is coming together for him. I too lost great opportunities, not on his scale, but still wasted years, jobs, & money. But the good Lord gave me more and then some. Looks like Ryan is in a good place.

Stewey

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember the highly contested debate...who was the best QB in the draft, Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning, Ryan leaf or Peyton Manning.....

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember the highly contested debate...who was the best QB in the draft, Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning, Ryan leaf or Peyton Manning.....

And after the first 6 games Stewey, Leaf had the early advantage.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I remember that draft and remember thinking Leaf had more physical talent but above the shoulders Manning was light years ahead. Turned out to sum up the two as Manning who was definitely talented but used his brain to out smart opposing defenses while Leaf could throw a ball 70 yards with a flick of the wrist couldn't read a defense any better than reading Latin. Wasted talent but if he had any sense he squirreled a little money away.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember that draft and remember thinking Leaf had more physical talent but above the shoulders Manning was light years ahead. Turned out to sum up the two as Manning who was definitely talented but used his brain to out smart opposing defenses while Leaf could throw a ball 70 yards with a flick of the wrist couldn't read a defense any better than reading Latin. Wasted talent but if he had any sense he squirreled a little money away.

I'm pretty surer Ryan "doped" all his money away. There was a story out on him a few years ago and he was talking about his programs and how he was finally getting it together. Then he dropped back into the prescription stolen pain killers. Now he must have cleaned up and I wish him the success it takes to be happy in his life. Lord give him stregnth to continue.

Salute the nation

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
It's a shame that someone that gifted and talented would turn their life into a dumpster fire without even thinking they were doing anything wrong.
Fascinating

xjx

Reaction score
**** Ryan Leaf.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As someone who watched him start playing in peewee league, he was ALWAYS an arrogant ***. He always seemed to be more interested in what came next, rather than put in the effort to be great at the current level. You could see that it was really about getting the money, and never about being great. He had the talent but never really put in the extra work, since his talent always carried him. As he moved up his talent gave him a smaller and smaller edge, but he never cared. He was more interested in being the big shot. He just finally wore out his welcome in the NFL, and was not smart enough or humble enough to live off his stolen money. I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for him and his stupid assed decisions in life.

Reactions: wig

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. Folks from Montana know the 411. Leaf was once ejected from an 8th grade basketball game for throwing the basketball at his coaches head when he was called off the floor.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That was AFTER he got a technical for dunking, hanging on the rim and grabbing his crotch while taunting the other team.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

I lived in San Diego when that draft took place. The sports radio stations were going crazy with SD's second pick in the draft. Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton said that either one was a great pick. I guess he was wrong.

I hope he makes it work. Lives matter.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
His syndicated radio show is on here Saturday evening. I listen to it once in a while. He is awkward but makes decent points. Good for him for getting his life together.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
There arguably have been bigger NFL busts, yet his arrogance and stupidity makes him the posterboy for the big bust... he was nothing but the annual misdirect from a team that was drafting the clear best QB... and wanted fake competition to keep the price tag down... used to happen alot... he and the rest of the league just bought into the hype...

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The draft is a funny thing. If the Chargers were taking Leaf if they had one or not. If they had him ranked higher than Manning than they got what they deserved. But if they had won one or whatever less that season they wouldn't have gotten him. If they had won a couple more someone else might have taken him first. Like the Steelers and Ben. If they had their choice they might have gotten saddled with stiff Phil.