• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rose Bowl: PSU Vs USC

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Good game bad outcome. Better team won but a few less mistakes and it could have been a different outcome. McSorely kinda fell apart at the end and the decision to suspend two players bit franklin in the ***. But acedemics first as they are college football players. Of course half of USC couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the c and t.

Get em next year but a bad bowl showing this year for the big ten.

Last edited:

str8liner

Reaction score
Penn State played the 4th quarter like they had a defense that could stop USC when in reality it was a sieve, and the USC QB looked like the second coming of Joe Montana.

I dont get the Barkley runs up the gut, the last few series, and Mcsorley chucking the ball down the field the last series like PSU was down a TD.

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Tough ending. Should not have teken their foot off the gas in the 4th. So many missed opportunities. Still a great season and should set up for a strong recruiting class, and maybe a top 10 ranking to start next year. PSU returns nearly everybody.

IN the end, i think it was the home field advantage that was the difference. That crowd kept USC in the game right to the end.

I stand by my assessment that Penn State should have been in the playoff even moreso after watching them play that loaded USC team.

str8liner

Reaction score
I think the Steeler's need to figure out a way to tank in a few years and draft Sam Darnold.....

Some of the throws he made.....Good god.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
The only bad losses for the Big Ten are Ohio State and Iowa. All their other games were close. Penn State and MIchigan lost last second to really good teams. And both USC and FSU pretty much had home games.

Indiana was 6-6 and their coach was fired and they only lost by 2 to #19 Utah. Counts as a loss but that's a good showing for the conference that they nearly won a mismatch.

I expect Penn State, Ohio State and Wisconsin to start next year in the top 10. I'm thinking OSU will be #3 and PSU 5 or 6, with Wisconsin about 10. Michigan loses a lot of players but their name and Harbaugh could land them in the top 10 also.

I won't be surprised if USC starts next year #1

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I think the Steeler's need to figure out a way to tank in a few years and draft Sam Darnold.....

Some of the throws he made.....Good god.

The problem is many of those throws wouldnt fly in the nfl... college talent<<<nfl talent... hed be a risky take...

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is many of those throws wouldnt fly in the nfl... college talent<<<nfl talent...="" hed="" be="" a="" risky="" take...[="" quote]

yeah, he was lucky he didn't have about 3 INTs. He threw about 5 or 6 balls as he was being hit and just threw up a ball without even knowing where it would go.

He's a freshman though so it was a great season and he'll likely get a lot better. Still too early to annoint him as a can't miss prospect. That's what people did with Matt Barkley as a freshman and he tailed off.

With so many QBs playing spread systems, Darnold will have a big advantage come draft time because a team will be more willing to draft a kid who played a pro style system. Jared Goff looks lost. Paxton Lynch looked lost. RG3 still doesn't know what he's doing.
</nfl>

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Redshirt Freshman ... He could come out after next year though ... right? I mean theoretically

If he's a redshirt freshman, then yes, he can come out after his redshirt soph year because he'd be 3 years out of high school. That's the rule.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Great game and a great comeback from USC!

Amazing that another "meaningless" bowl game had a heck of a finish.

Reactions: MTC

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Great game and a great comeback from USC!

Amazing that another "meaningless" bowl game had a heck of a finish.

PSU went a bit conservative. The slippery field messed up their running attack as well. I'll give PSU some mad props. Their defense and running back balled out could've blown USC out the water. Damn fun game. Sam Darnold reminds me a bit of Favre. Just cool and collected under pressure

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is many of those throws wouldnt fly in the nfl... college talent<<<nfl talent... hed be a risky take...

Pro style offense. Give him a better O line and he'll be pretty good

mdk2

Reaction score
The game was lost on the 3rd and 4 play. A first down essentially wins the game.. Franklin played not to lose.
"You play to win the game."
-Herm Edwards

Also, the middle of the field was wide open all game long for the USC receivers. Atrocious safety play.

Good season but ended with a sour taste in my mouth, should have been a Rose Bowl win.

SteveA

Reaction score
SC sure rebounded from an awful start to their season......

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
Still hard to understand why PSU didn't take the knee and go for OT. Both of McSorley's final two passes where floaters and just bad play calls....what was the coaching staff thinking? They tried playing the clock game with a defense that could not stop USC and that will just not work. Very predictable Barkley runs up the middle the last three first down plays for easy stops. An extra first down on any of those last two series probably wins the game. Tough way to lose but there was no expectation that PSU would play this way for the season. Great recruiting coming in the next two years so this team is on the rise with all the offense back next year (minus an OL) and only losing 3 defensive starters.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Good basketball type score game with a bad ending. Score 49 and lose. May as well be arena ball. Alabama is taking it this year anyway regardless.It does look promising next year for the Lions.

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
One thing is for sure. PSU has re-established itself as a national contender. And that will make many people, in the valley, happy again.

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
Hell of a game. PSU should not hang their heads.

They'll be strong again next season. Pretty much everyone is coming back.

Cabinda would look good in black and gold.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
I know one thing - if PSU had been in the "final four" they would have scored more than 7 points against Clemson or Alabama - probably wouldn't have won, but they certainly wouldn't have been shut out. Winning a conference should count for something.

str8liner

Reaction score
Still hard to understand why PSU didn't take the knee and go for OT. Both of McSorley's final two passes where floaters and just bad play calls....what was the coaching staff thinking? They tried playing the clock game with a defense that could not stop USC and that will just not work. Very predictable Barkley runs up the middle the last three first down plays for easy stops. An extra first down on any of those last two series probably wins the game. Tough way to lose but there was no expectation that PSU would play this way for the season. Great recruiting coming in the next two years so this team is on the rise with all the offense back next year (minus an OL) and only losing 3 defensive starters.

As much as I appreciate the success they had this year and the way they played I will never get over the way the game ended. And the play calling the entire 4th quarter was basically handing the ball back to a team which you had almost zero chance of stopping. The running plays up the middle with Barkley in the 4th like you mentioned, when in fact I think he only ran it one time up the middle successfully for the TD in the first quarter. Everything else was stuffed.