• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Rose Bowl: PSU Vs USC

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
The pooch kick after one of their scores was just retarded. USC started that drive on the 40 and scored easily.

str8liner

Reaction score
Good basketball type score game with a bad ending. Score 49 and lose. May as well be arena ball. Alabama is taking it this year anyway regardless.It does look promising next year for the Lions.

I think Nick $aban realizes his offense cant hang with Clemson. Big advantage to Clemson QB wise this year. I think Clemson wins the game.

At least I hope so because anyone who isn't a Bama fan is getting a little tired of Alabama this and that every year. I know I am.

GRBman

Reaction score
I think Nick $aban realizes his offense cant hang with Clemson. Big advantage to Clemson QB wise this year. I think Clemson wins the game.

At least I hope so because anyone who isn't a Bama fan is getting a little tired of Alabama this and that every year. I know I am.

I'm an "SEC Guy"...and yeah, I'm rooting for Clemson also. Aside from my rooting interest, I think Clemson wins this BIG...by like double digits big. Bama's offense has struggled of late and they just fired their OC...that's not a good situation with only a week to prepare...

SteelerAl

Reaction score

I don't like 'Bama either, but I think you're engaging in some serious wishful thinking...

str8liner

Reaction score
I don't like 'Bama either, but I think you're engaging in some serious wishful thinking...

Bama QB threw for a whopping 57 yards against Washington. 57........Ill take Deshaun Watson over the guy handing the ball off in the backfield for Bama any day. Clemson racked up 470 yards on OSU.

I know they have the best D in the nation hands down but they dont strike me as being as invincible as they were the last few years.

Spike

Reaction score
That was a good game

yes it was, great entertinment - a Rose Bowl game that wasn't a 16-13 snoozer!

Can we be getting another Penn State TE?

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Bama QB threw for a whopping 57 yards against Washington. 57........Ill take Deshaun Watson over the guy handing the ball off in the backfield for Bama any day. Clemson racked up 470 yards on OSU.

I know they have the best D in the nation hands down but they dont strike me as being as invincible as they were the last few years.

Bama gave up a bunch of points to Ole Miss and Arkansas, the only 2 decent passing teams they played. Washington drove right down the field early, throwing it downfield and spreading Bama out. Then the rest of the game, they played scared and just threw short. Wash is a young team and their QB couldn't handle the pressure.

Clemson is battle tested. And most importantly, they are not scared of Bama. They know they should have beaten them last year if they didn't lose their top pass rusher and cover man in the game.

Bama has lived by getting pressure with 4 and dropping 7 in coverage. Watson will escape that pressure and make plays. Bama like to press and play man. That is dangerous vs a running QB because the DB has their back to the QB so it can lead to big running lanes for scrambles.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Still hard to understand why PSU didn't take the knee and go for OT. Both of McSorley's final two passes where floaters and just bad play calls....what was the coaching staff thinking? They tried playing the clock game with a defense that could not stop USC and that will just not work. Very predictable Barkley runs up the middle the last three first down plays for easy stops. An extra first down on any of those last two series probably wins the game. Tough way to lose but there was no expectation that PSU would play this way for the season. Great recruiting coming in the next two years so this team is on the rise with all the offense back next year (minus an OL) and only losing 3 defensive starters.

For a team that has played so well in the second half they really screwed the pooch by not keeping their foot on the throttle then try to gun it again after the offense cooled down. Young team and coaching staff which will all learn from this. Next year it's the national championship or bust!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Perhaps. Jesse James will put in a reference

S

State44

Tough ending. Should not have teken their foot off the gas in the 4th. So many missed opportunities. Still a great season and should set up for a strong recruiting class, and maybe a top 10 ranking to start next year. PSU returns nearly everybody.

IN the end, i think it was the home field advantage that was the difference. That crowd kept USC in the game right to the end.

I stand by my assessment that Penn State should have been in the playoff even moreso after watching them play that loaded USC team.

Clemson would have hung 70 on their pathetic defense.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I never root for west coast teams over PA teams. I'm glad Penn State lost.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Tough loss for the Lions, but congrats to the young men at Penn State for a fine season -- and for making it unexpectedly entertaining and fun to watch along the way. As an alumnus, this group made me proud of my school once again.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

mdk2

Reaction score

Gesicki is going to be a nice NFL player. He has great hands and extremely athletic for his size.

GRBman

Reaction score
Tape is right... Alabama's defense gave up big yards to teams that could throw the ball. In their regular season games, Alabama faced a lot of crap QB's in the SEC. USC did not play Sam Darnold in their game against Alabama. Outside of Chad Kelly (Ole Miss) and Austin Allen (Arkansas)...they faced the following:

Mike White (Western Kentucky)
Mylik Mitchell (Kent State)
Stephen Johnson (Kentucky)
Josh Dobbs (Tennessee)
Trevor Knight (Texas A&M)
Danny Etling (LSU)
Nick Fitzgerald (Mississippi State)
Alejandro Bennifield (UT Chattanooga)
John Franklin III (Auburn)
Austin Appleby (Florida)

That's it...the only decent QB in the entire group is maybe Trevor Knight who transferred out of Oklahoma because he lost his job to Baker Mayfield.

Clemson's Deshaun Watson is going to be the best QB Alabama has faced since...Deshaun Watson (last year). ...and its not even close.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Gesicki is going to be a nice NFL player. He has great hands and extremely athletic for his size.

he announced that he is staying for his senior year. He had a disaster of a season last year. Because of injuries, he was pretty much the only TE on the roster and forced to pkay before he was ready. The offense was pro style last year and he struggled as a blocker. That led to him losing confidence and he dropped a ton of balls. These were often key drops that ended drives or would have been easy TDs.

This year he finally emerged and was able to use his athleticism to make some incredible catches,

Here's some of that athleticism from high school

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kMJosi5EBHk" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Penn States drive before USC tied it up was terrible. PSU needed a first down. No matter what they did if they did not get a first down USC would have had a ton of time. Should have just thrown the ball.