• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ron Cook: Tomlin over Cowher as a disciplinary coach

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
****** drivel. I remember Bam Morris. I remember when Marvel Smith's weed was an issue. And then it wasn't cause it didn't happen again. He sites Holmes trade as an example of Tomlin being tough. Holmes was traded cause his problems happened to coinside with Ben's. They didn't want two big problems at once. He also talks about how Tomlin dumped Blount. Really. He quit on the team. A coach like Belichick or Cowher wouldn't let it even get to that.
and yes, I apologize for not linking the article but I don't know how much less with a phone. Lol

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...as-better-disciplinarian/stories/201608090015

Ron Cook: It's Tomlin over Cowher as better Steelers disciplinarian
August 9, 2016 12:21 AM
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Cowher or Mike Tomlin? I’m giving Tomlin a slight edge as coach, although Cowher was good. I’m also giving Tomlin an edge as a disciplinarian. I say that knowing the Steelers will play this season without suspended Martavis Bryant and probably the first four games without suspended Le’Veon Bell.

No, I am not crazy.

There’s a growing perception in town that the Steelers have gone to pot since Tomlin took over as coach 10 years ago. Among the players who have joined the team during his watch are Bryant, LeGarrette Blount, Chris Rainey, Mike Adams and Alameda Ta’amu. All had character issues in college. Only Bryant remains under contract.

nooneuno

Forefather
Reaction score
****** drivel. I remember Bam Morris. I remember when Marvel Smith's weed was an issue. And then it wasn't cause it didn't happen again. He sites Holmes trade as an example of Tomlin being tough. Holmes was traded cause his problems happened to coinside with Ben's. They didn't want two big problems at once. He also talks about how Tomlin dumped Blount. Really. He quit on the team. A coach like Belichick or Cowher wouldn't let it even get to that.
and yes, I apologize for not linking the article but I don't know how much less with a phone. Lol

Belichick??? Really? Heard of a guy called Aaron Hernandez?

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score

I feel like youve been sitting the sauce lol

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Actually you are right. Lol. But I still think I'm right in my statement. And I still don't know how to link an article. I've heard this stuff about Hernandez. That isn't what this is about. Every team takes guys of low character. It's what you do with them. Belichick uses these guys like pawns on a chessboard. If you dont fall in line with that you are out. That is why he has been able to manage many low characer guys. My way or highway.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
If you want to argue Tomlin deserves blame for some of the players the Steelers have brought in, I will listen. He has a big say, along with general manager Kevin Colbert, in all player-personnel moves. But I’m not going to hold Tomlin or any coach responsible for a player’s behavior once he is on the team.

Why not?

Tomlin sucks.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I saw this article yesterday started to link it then said Naw..already knew how it would go lol. Of course Cowher is responsible for Marvel Smith not smoking anymore. Of course. But if Bell or Bryant never smoke again I'm betting Tomlin will never be responsible for that.

NOT THAT HE SHOULD. Marvel Smith grew up and matured. Which is what Bell and Bryant need to do.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Was it Cowhers fault when Deion Figures ane Joey Porter got shot? Bam Morris, and Eric Green high as kites? Cedric Wilson slapping his girl around?

How about Noll when Arrowhead shot at a police helicopter. These are grown men. You can set rules but if they dont follow them it isnt anyones fault but themselves.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
You are never responsible for what other people do. You are responsible for what happens after. Furthermore, the team often doesn't seem very disciplined on the field either. Can anyone think of an instance of Tomlin sitting a player for selfish play that hurt the team.

Slash#10

Reaction score
Tomlin isn't coaching choir boys. I'm not expecting any coach to be aanyone's"father figure". We want Tomlin to get his clock management skills better. Can careless if he makes players run laps, do pushups, or sits them for getting a personal foul. I'd think Tomlin would pull a guy if he wasn'tattempting to play within the guidelines. He has his players back and tthat's why on many occassions players on other rosters would want to play for him.

ark steel

Reaction score
You are never responsible for what other people do. You are responsible for what happens after. Furthermore, the team often doesn't seem very disciplined on the field either. Can anyone think of an instance of Tomlin sitting a player for selfish play that hurt the team.

I can remember when the team was leading the league in penalties early in the year (2013 or 2014), and people here were telling us it was because the players didn't respect tomlin and were undisciplined as a result. Then the penalties slowed way down and last year were close to the top in the league for fewest penalties. No mentions (other than by me and maybe another) about whether this means the players respect tomlin and he taught them discipline.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score

I sure as hell dont want Antonio Brown or William Gay sitting for a game because they received unsportsmanlike penalties for excessive celebration. This isnt the MLB where guys can sit for a day or two and it doesnt affect anything cause they play 162 games.

If you think they should sit someone and jeopardize a game youre out of your mind.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
Coming to SN and saying that Tomlin is better than Cowher at ANYTHING.....from coaching football all the way down to playing table tennis, is akin to telling a devout Catholic that the Virgin Mary wore thong underwear beneath her clothes.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
" Cowher allowed us a lot of flexibility. He never fined us for anything. You came late, you never got fined. You never got reprimanded for anything." - Jerome Bettis

This was part of the article above I guess you didn't see it

ianv2012

Reaction score
" Cowher allowed us a lot of flexibility. He never fined us for anything. You came late, you never got fined. You never got reprimanded for anything." - Jerome Bettis

This was part of the article above I guess you didn't see it

Well why would you see that....we are the ones wearing Tomlin colored glasses right?

chipped ham

Reaction score

The 9 turnover game against the brownies a couple years back where every running back fumbled and sat on the pine afterwards. Anyways, this is a double edged sword. Are you seriously going to sit AB because he jumped into the goal post? Gay, the best corner on this team, for his ridiculous dancing after a returned touchdown? The Steelers have never been this bastion of morality and it's been proven time and time again going back to the Noll days with Gilliam's drug issues, Holmes' drug issues and shooting at helicopters, etc. If you're going to hold Tomlin accountable for Bell and Bryant, then Cowher and Noll have to be held accountable for the bs that went on under their reigns as well.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Bam Morris stopped being a problem because he went to jail not because of anything that Cowher ever did.

Cowher had just as many issues as Tomlin. The 1993 Steelers were a dysfunctional mess. Remember the brawl in the locker room a few years later? Plaxico Burress was never where he should have been when he should have been there, and Cowher never did anything about it (Plax was shocked when he started getting fined by the Giants for being tardy because Cowher let it slide).

The only difference between the two is that it's much harder to remember all the issues that occurred under Cowher's watch, given that it was 10-24 years ago.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Coming to SN and saying that Tomlin is better than Cowher at ANYTHING.....from coaching football all the way down to playing table tennis, is akin to telling a devout Catholic that the Virgin Mary wore thong underwear beneath her clothes.

if you want to get all pedantic about it, a thong would have been greater coverage as historically, and culturally Mary probably wouldn't have worn much of anything down there under her robes. I'm just a sayin'...