• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Roethlisberger Sings High Praise for Haskins

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Dan Marino, Jim Kelly & Terry Bradshaw all had low Wonderlic scores IIRC.

And speaking of a dumpster fire of a start to a career, look no further than Terry Bradshaw. Now before anybody freaks out, I'm not comparing this kid to the HOFer. Just that guys have turned it around. I don't know enough about him but with that kind of talent and some good people/organization around him, I'd say the potential reward far outweighs the risk. Never heard Ben speak about another QB on the team like that. He must see something special in the kid.

Now if he just applies himself. Big "if" though.
There's always going to be exceptions, but Marino, Kelly, and Bradshaw were at least in the mid-teens, nowhere near single digits. Jeff George scored a 10 -- imagine what that guy could have done with his natural talent if he had half a brain.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not one of us 'know' what Coach Canada is going to do w/ the offense this year - none of us. That being said, Haskins has the tools and he's now in an organization that is known for its mentorship and solid tutelage.

The ball is literally in his court and the mission is 'his' - should he choose to accept it. If he does...I see him as QB2 and the heir apparent...

ALL good points Berm but I'm in the wait and see boat, at least till mid-pre-season then assess .

Salute the nation

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I am not saying Haskins is going to be our next long term qb. But if you go back and see what Canada did at MD. Haskins skill set fits better than the other qbs

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Haskins isn't stupid; he scored a 25 on the Wonderlic test, same as Ben. Haskins just hasn't showed the maturity and dedication it takes to successfully play the quarterback position in the NFL yet. Maybe he'll get it together at some point under Tomlin's master tutelage...I won't hold my breath.
The Wonderlic is not a real analysis of intelligence.

Basic preparation for it—I’ve scored 33 and 42 in taking it twice officially over a year. Just guess at ones you can’t figure out & finish. It is so easy when you know what to expect

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

Basic preparation for it—I’ve scored 33 and 42 in taking it twice officially over a year. Just guess at ones you can’t figure out & finish. It is so easy when you know what to expect

So what is the real analysis for intelligence? Did you take the Stanford-Binet IQ equivalency test?

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
I am not saying Haskins is going to be our next long term qb. But if you go back and see what Canada did at MD. Haskins skill set fits better than the other qbs

Now this is a smart guy IMO (Blitz, not Haskins). But Haskins has enough IQ. I think this kid's going to surprise everybody.

steelhurt

Reaction score
They better proceed with extreme caution with this guy. He’s shown nothing but immaturity thus far and maybe he can overcome this but I’m just leery of this guy. Washington cut bait awfully fast for a young QB drafted so high just two seasons ago. I’m not a fan and he’ll have to make huge strides.We shall see!

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

So...it's a fake analysis of intelligence, then?

If it's that easy, I guess some of these players aren't smart enough to prepare for the test. So what does that tell you?

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
So...it's a fake analysis of intelligence, then?

If it's that easy, I guess some of these players aren't smart enough to prepare for the test. So what does that tell you?
It says a lot. I know my scores would been lower without preparing

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
So what is the real analysis for intelligence? Did you take the Stanford-Binet IQ equivalency test?
more than anything, if you do terrible it shows you didn’t even try to prepare. Not good for QB

Go to the beat the Wonderlic site, take that test and you tell me if figuring out which corner of a pattern would touch if folded into a cube means Jack **** to being a good QB

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
I watched him in college man talk about a strong very accurate arm he’ll get his head together sitn behind Ben a year he’ll be ready… nice competition in qb room only problem with our qbs last couple years was coaching.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I watched him in college man talk about a strong very accurate arm he’ll get his head together sitn behind Ben a year he’ll be ready… nice competition in qb room only problem with our qbs last couple years was coaching.

That wasn't just in the QB room either..........................

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
The wonderlic isnt an IQ test, it was supposed to be a quick way to judge processing under time pressure

there are better ways to do this these days....

and yeah in game processing is a huge factor in athletic success in the nfl.... its like how quickness often trumps speed

make a good read as quickly as possible... Haskins hasn’t showed he can process at nfl gamespeeds yet... doesn’t mean that he won’t, but i think he is a bigger longshot than many think he is

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
more than anything, if you do terrible it shows you didn’t even try to prepare. Not good for QB

Go to the beat the Wonderlic site, take that test and you tell me if figuring out which corner of a pattern would touch if folded into a cube means Jack **** to being a good QB
Or terribly.

Of course one random question isn't going to tell you whether or not somebody is going to be a good quarterback, but I'm willing to bet that overall, better Wonderlic scores generally indicate a greater chance of success than lower tallies do.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Or terribly.

Of course one random question isn't going to tell you whether or not somebody is going to be a good quarterback, but I'm willing to bet that overall, better Wonderlic scores generally indicate a greater chance of success than lower tallies do.
Meh there isn’t any correlation to it... omar jacobs scored a 38, dan Mario had like a fifteen.... look at the lists and its so erratic for qbs

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Meh there isn’t any correlation to it... omar jacobs scored a 38, dan Mario had like a fifteen.... look at the lists and its so erratic for qbs
Meh, scoring well on the Wonderlic isn't the only indicator for a quarterback, and naturally it doesn't guarantee anything. Jacobs was a two-star recruit out of high school, while Marino had one of the greatest arms and quickest releases in NFL history. Maybe that talent disparity had something more to do with their levels of success.

Sure, the list is erratic. Over 50+ years of testing, you're going to find some exceptions. And you'll also find that guys like Brady, Rodgers, both Mannings, Young, Elway, and Brees were all well above average. Marino, Kelly, and Bradshaw had all-world natural ability at the position to start with -- and still two of them never managed to win a Super Bowl.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
FSF iz souper smart
Dude, there were questions that were what is 12th month of year and what which one isn’t like the other: with 3 square/rectangle shapes & one circle

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Dude, there were questions that were what is 12th month of year and what which one isn’t like the other: with 3 square/rectangle shapes & one circle
And yet Vince Young, a proud graduate of the University of Texas, only managed to get 6 out of 50 correct.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
What skill set is that?

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
What skill set is that?
strong arm, accurate, spreads the ball around. can run. I think everyone was surprised win Washington took him so early.

Maybe all he needs is time to be a pro. he was kinda thrown into it in Washington.

I think everyone except Washington knew he was going to be a project.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Dan Marino, Jim Kelly & Terry Bradshaw all had low Wonderlic scores IIRC.

And speaking of a dumpster fire of a start to a career, look no further than Terry Bradshaw. Now before anybody freaks out, I'm not comparing this kid to the HOFer. Just that guys have turned it around. I don't know enough about him but with that kind of talent and some good people/organization around him, I'd say the potential reward far outweighs the risk. Never heard Ben speak about another QB on the team like that. He must see something special in the kid.

Now if he just applies himself. Big "if" though.

Bradshaw had one of the greatest coaches the NFL has ever seen. He was also a great teacher. Bradshaw as spoken in his own words had to get "tough" under Noll.

He played his best when it mattered most.

Do we have any great teachers and molders of men on the team right now?

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
strong arm, accurate, spreads the ball around. can run. I think everyone was surprised win Washington took him so early.

Maybe all he needs is time to be a pro. he was kinda thrown into it in Washington.

I think everyone except Washington knew he was going to be a project.
He has a very strong arm, but he's only accurate when guys are "college" open, and he is super slow, Kendrick Green our rookie center run a much faster 40 than he did.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
He has a very strong arm, but he's only accurate when guys are "college" open, and he is super slow, Kendrick Green our rookie center run a much faster 40 than he did.
I am not standing on a soapbox preaching for the guy to be the next franchise qb. But he does fit what Canada did at MD. more so than Ben at this stage of his career or Mason.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
I am not standing on a soapbox preaching for the guy to be the next franchise qb. But he does fit what Canada did at MD. more so than Ben at this stage of his career or Mason.
I hear you, it's just I've been hearing that since we signed him, a guy that can run or fit Canada's system, not you, but "radio" guys. Haskins is slow, I mean super slow, 2 of our offensive line have faster 40 times than him. I'm not sure where everyone gets he can run, him and Ben in a 40 yards dash would be a photo finish right now.