• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Richard Sherman Interested in Joining Steelers

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers lost cornerbacks Mike Hilton, and Steven Nelson so far during the off-season and they appear ready to just live without them.

That leaves Justin Layne, and James Pierre with big shoes to fill. It’s assumed at the moment that starting corner Cam Sutton, who will replace Nelson on the outside, will shift to the slot on passing downs to replace Hilton. That will move Layne or Pierre to the outside. Layne seemed to have a firm grip on the fifth corner spot last season until yielding half of his snaps to Pierre.

There isn’t much to go off of when it comes to Layne and Pierre because of their limited playing time. So it’s unknown if they’re capable of stepping into the lineup. The team drafted cornerback Tre Norwood , but they’ve listed him as a safety.

So even if Layne or Pierre surprises with a huge jump in growth the team is still looking at a huge drop off with Nelson and Hilton gone. Have to factor in that Joe Haden is one more year older too.

Now that’s where Richard Sherman comes to mind. Sherman is also nearing the end of his career, but has still been able to play at a high level like Haden. He’s coming off a rough season in San Francisco where he missed most of the year, but still started five games and had one interception.

Now the idea of Sherman joining the Steelers was brought up to Sherman himself by Stephen A. Smith who is a life long Steelers fan. Smith interviewed Sherman on ESPN this past week.

“They ain’t call. I can’t make them call,” Sherman said when asked about heading to Pittsburgh. “I’m good with that. I’m not afraid of the AFC North, you know. It’s a good division. I’d like Pittsburgh. It’s cold, I’d have to bring my winter clothes.”

Now the veteran free agent market isn’t very strong, but Sherman would be one of the best still available at the moment. The Steelers don’t have a lot of cap room at the moment, but if they could work something out with Sherman it would definitely give them some insurance.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I posted in another thread earlier, I'd bring him in and kick the tires. If he can give us a decent year or maybe 2, I'd sign him. He knows he isn't going to get much more than vet minimum. Our secondary is thin. He would help if he still has some tread on his tires until our young guys get up to speed or we draft/sign someone next year. Plus, this is probably Haden's last year. We will probably be looking for multiple guys in the secondary next year.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
hes always hungry plays with intentisty and will be very vocal in the huddle i see cant lose to bring him in, at worst you move him to s

Steelers1356

Reaction score
I think Sherman still has something left in the tank and would help us, and could probably be signed to a one year deal that fits under the cap with a little creativity. The problem is Colbert though, who never seems to have the backbone to make gutsy offseason moves like this so I would be surprised if it happens.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Sherman still has something left in the tank and would help us, and could probably be signed to a one year deal that fits under the cap with a little creativity. The problem is Colbert though, who never seems to have the backbone to make gutsy offseason moves like this so I would be surprised if it happens.
Colbert traded for Minkah in a very bold move, he also got Haden the minute he got cut. He got Nelson at a nice cap cost. So I don't see how is he lacking any backbone.

Still I think there are better options to grab out there before going for sherman

Steelers1356

Reaction score
Colbert traded for Minkah in a very bold move, he also got Haden the minute he got cut. He got Nelson at a nice cap cost. So I don't see how is he lacking any backbone.

Still I think there are better options to grab out there before going for sherman
I'll give you Haden which was a no brainer, But Minkah wasn't an offseason FA signing.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I'd sign him if the price was right.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm for bringing in a VET at the right $$$cost$$$ and needs a little gas for one season. Sherman wouldn't be my first choice but I'd take him if the STEELERS go that way.

We as fans don't know the whole Steven Nelson story and probably never will but if they could break the ice and sign him that would be the best move.

Salute the nation

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
He’s a Lightning Rod with the mouth a d doesn’t have the tools anymore to play. Hard pass.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Sherman barley played because of covid and I believe a minor injury at 33 he is still quick enough to play zone or press and when the d needs to make something happen he is. Or shy about Speaches before the game or in the huddle

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, he's interesting...not sure if he has the movement that is needed. Smart dude though.

Steelmann

Reaction score
He’s a Lightning Rod with the mouth a d doesn’t have the tools anymore to play. Hard pass.
Truth. Man, I think Big Ben can beat him in a race. Watched him with his last years in Seattle and SF. Wondered why OC’s didn’t throw his way every play. Once in a while his experience would make plays, but he’s toast.
“ Richard Sherman interested in joining Steelers”
Lol. He probably sent that out to every team.
Nothing wrong with trying to make another 5 million if you can.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Desperate times brings desperate measures..................... how desperate are the STEELERS

Salute the nation

steelhurt

Reaction score
Stick a fork in Richie, he’s done! Better off trying to bring back Nelson if not too much damage done.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I'll give you Haden which was a no brainer, But Minkah wasn't an offseason FA signing.
Litos didn't say Minkah was a FA signing he said "Colbert traded for Minkah in a bold move....."

part of his attempt to show Colbert in fact, does have a backbone..

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
It would absolutely have to be for the right price, I just don't see it.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score