• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Report of Ben’s last Season

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
I just don't want to take another aging QB who's going to fall off the same cliff in a couple years. I would rather spend time and energy building the core of the team and biding my time until I can find another franchise QB.

Sure, I do all I can to draft a decent guy, maybe even sign a vet who can be productive as long as I don't have to trade draft picks or leverage a bunch of cap for a guy who may be useful for one or two years at best. That's really where I'm coming from. You simply can't "sign" a guy as talented as Roethlisberger. It doesn't happen. (And yes, I understand and agree that the Roethlisberger of today isn't the Roethlisberger of even 3 years ago. That's my entire point, actually.)
No, you can sign a guy far more talented in Rodgers. And patch up the O-line as well you can. THis could bring a SB quickly, where with Ben nothing is going to happen, not now not next year, etc.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I just don't want to take another aging QB who's going to fall off the same cliff in a couple years. I would rather spend time and energy building the core of the team and biding my time until I can find another franchise QB.

Sure, I do all I can to draft a decent guy, maybe even sign a vet who can be productive as long as I don't have to trade draft picks or leverage a bunch of cap for a guy who may be useful for one or two years at best. That's really where I'm coming from. You simply can't "sign" a guy as talented as Roethlisberger. It doesn't happen. (And yes, I understand and agree that the Roethlisberger of today isn't the Roethlisberger of even 3 years ago. That's my entire point, actually.)
I think this way exactly Wig. I don't wanna draft a guy to get one. Though this team has not won a championship nor will they win one with Tomlin in my opinion they certainly have won enough for me to survive a couple down years till they get the right QB. Build the team smartly around defense and oline then find the right guy. And it usually more often than not comes in the first 15 picks anyhow.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
No, you can sign a guy far more talented in Rodgers. And patch up the O-line as well you can. THis could bring a SB quickly, where with Ben nothing is going to happen, not now not next year, etc.
Tomlin could have Roger's a good oline and a Steelers 70's defense and not win a championship. He doesn't acquire assistant coaches and coordinators capable of that.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
You sell Ben way short. Put Ben behind Rodgers' OL and Rodgers behind our OL and their play would both be drastically different. Watch a Brady game. He stands in a clean pocket and runs through all of his progressions if needed. Ben half the time doesn't have time to get to his first read yet his 2nd or 3rd. Again Ben isn't what he was a few years ago but he isn't as washed up as you say he is. Ben still is able to make all the throws.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
He is 5 and 6 in regular season wins and post season wins. Add two SB victories and three SB appearances. All time TDs thrown? 8th. Postseason? 7th. What about when the game is on the line as in 4th quarter comebacks? He is 3rd. No way he isn't a top ten QB. Statistically where it matters he matters...
I would hope that Ben is near the top of the list in wins...he's played for 18 years with a 16-game schedule. 24 other quarterbacks have just as many championships (or more). It's also nice that he's thrown a lot of touchdowns in a pass-happy era, but he's well behind his better contemporaries in that category. Drew Brees has 159 more touchdowns than Ben does. 159! Rodgers has 23 more, despite not becoming a starter until 2008. 4th quarter comebacks are nice, but it's all relative: Tom Brady has only 2 more than Ben, Matthew Stafford has 6 less. Stafford and Matt Ryan are tied for sixth on the list of 4th quarter comebacks -- does that make them top ten material, or does it just mean that their teams were behind a whole lot more often than a guy like Brady?

I asked Wig to tell me who he'd put behind Roethlisberger, and he didn't bother. I'll ask you the same question.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Excuse me,................... how many Super Bowls has philip got, how many has he appeared in ?
None. Which proves my point that being up there on those yardage and touchdown lists doesn't necessarily mean all that much, other than the guy has played for a long time in the passing era.

You're excused.

Last edited:

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
None. Which proves my point that being up there on those yardage and touchdown lists doesn't necessarily mean all that much, other than the guy has played for a long time in the passing era.

You're excused.

Ben's not the best-ever in the game for sure, but we've been lucky to have him as Mason and Haskins have shown. I'm not sure Brees, Brady or Rodgers could make an accurate pass with large guys hanging on their legs.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I would hope that Ben is near the top of the list in wins...he's played for 18 years with a 16-game schedule. 24 other quarterbacks have just as many championships (or more). It's also nice that he's thrown a lot of touchdowns in a pass-happy era, but he's well behind his better contemporaries in that category. Drew Brees has 159 more touchdowns than Ben does. 159! Rodgers has 23 more, despite not becoming a starter until 2008. 4th quarter comebacks are nice, but it's all relative: Tom Brady has only 2 more than Ben, Matthew Stafford has 6 less. Stafford and Matt Ryan are tied for sixth on the list of 4th quarter comebacks -- does that make them top ten material, or does it just mean that their teams were behind a whole lot more often than a guy like Brady?

I asked Wig to tell me who he'd put behind Roethlisberger, and he didn't bother. I'll ask you the same question.
Manning,Brady, Elway, Rodgers, Johnny U, Montana. I put him somewhere after that with Brees neck and neck. That is just off the top of my head without looking at a list. Worse case he gets a top ten nod.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben's not the best-ever in the game for sure, but we've been lucky to have him as Mason and Haskins have shown. I'm not sure Brees, Brady or Rodgers could make an accurate pass with large guys hanging on their legs.
Like I said, Ben is my all-time favorite Steeler. He's just not a top ten all-time quarterback.

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
Like I said, Ben is my all-time favorite Steeler. He's just not a top ten all-time quarterback.

Yeah, I can agree with that. The next couple of years might be rough to watch but that's what happens.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Manning,Brady, Elway, Rodgers, Johnny U, Montana. I put him somewhere after that with Brees neck and neck. That is just off the top of my head without looking at a list. Worse case he gets a top ten nod.
OK, so I guess you never saw Dan Marino play. The best pure passer the league has ever seen. I wonder if he'd been born 20 years later, and we interchanged him with Ben, maybe he could have managed to win a couple of Super Bowls.

Did you know that Roger Staubach led the league in passer rating 4 times? That Otto Graham did 5 times? That Len Dawson did 6 times? You don't have to guess how many times Ben accomplished that.

Did you know that Steve Young won 2 league MVPs? That Brett Favre won 3? We all know how many times Ben was named league MVP. Or even team MVP, for that matter (a touchy subject around here, but a fact nonetheless).

I think you're a bit biased; very few people who aren't diehard Steeler fans are putting Roethlisberger in the top ten of all-time. He's fairly close, but no cigar.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
It is impossible to come up with a top 10 alltime qb list that everyone will agree on. way too many factors/categories to choose from in rating them, then you take in the change in the game over the years....

But when you think of how many QBs have actually played the game over the last 50-70 years, knowing that Ben is easily top 20? that is amazing.

I remember his 1st game, coming in against the Ravens. we lost, but I said to my friend, man what a great time to be a Steeler Fan. you could tell he was going to be different.

Ben thanks for the last 18 years. we have been in almost every game because of you!!!

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
Perhaps but I understand how loss can impact. Hard to see the sunlight when darkness blankets you..... In that moment it is hard to see anything else. Sure life must go on. But that doesn't make it any easier fighting through whatever loss gets thrown in your direction. I feel for him. It sucks.
It’s precisely doing something that matters that helps you the most.

Think of Favre when he played one night after father passed away. It’s something that is therapeutic in so many ways.

Do what I did, stay in darkness, you’ll remain there yourself.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
OK, so I guess you never saw Dan Marino play. The best pure passer the league has ever seen. I wonder if he'd been born 20 years later, and we interchanged him with Ben, maybe he could have managed to win a couple of Super Bowls.

Did you know that Roger Staubach led the league in passer rating 4 times? That Otto Graham did 5 times? That Len Dawson did 6 times? You don't have to guess how many times Ben accomplished that.

Did you know that Steve Young won 2 league MVPs? That Brett Favre won 3? We all know how many times Ben was named league MVP. Or even team MVP, for that matter (a touchy subject around here, but a fact nonetheless).

I think you're a bit biased; very few people who aren't diehard Steeler fans are putting Roethlisberger in the top ten of all-time. He's fairly close, but no cigar.
I’ve ranked him around 15th. What hurts him is that he didn’t have the biggest game in the Super Bowl.

His whole legacy would be 5 places higher if he the 500 yard game with last second score vs. Packers happened in Super Bowl instead of regular season

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

I factored in SB wins and appeared in. I know how great Dan is and don't dispute any of the QBs you mentioned as solid. I also remember how Ben's rookie year he set the league on fire like nobody had seen before. Most people dislike Ben for some reason or another so they might be an element of bias too, not to forget the hatred many have for the Steelers in general. Sure being a fanatic it comes with a certain amount of bias. But I did present a solid case for him to be top ten. I can also throw in a SB that he arguably deserved MVP and those games he has had 500 plus throwing yards. People are usually set in who they think are ranked where. In my eyes he will remain within the top ten.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

If Brees / Brady / rodgers played behind the OLs that BEN has played behind they would all be broken. BEN is the toughest QB to play the game since the 70s QBs, in fact he would have been able to play in every era since the merger. NOT one other single QB could or would have been able to do that.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

SORRY, I can't include t*mmyb*y in any list because of his cheating.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I factored in SB wins and appeared in. I know how great Dan is and don't dispute any of the QBs you mentioned as solid. I also remember how Ben's rookie year he set the league on fire like nobody had seen before. Most people dislike Ben for some reason or another so they might be an element of bias too, not to forget the hatred many have for the Steelers in general. Sure being a fanatic it comes with a certain amount of bias. But I did present a solid case for him to be top ten. I can also throw in a SB that he arguably deserved MVP and those games he has had 500 plus throwing yards. People are usually set in who they think are ranked where. In my eyes he will remain within the top ten.

GREAT post slash and thank you for all your great ones along the way.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
If Brees / Brady / rodgers played behind the OLs that BEN has played behind they would all be broken. BEN is the toughest QB to play the game since the 70s QBs, in fact he would have been able to play in every era since the merger. NOT one other single QB could or would have been able to do that.

Salute the nation
A very good point another attribute that should help cement Ben into the top ten. Having to deal with Oline and coaching handicaps.😅

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
A very good point another attribute that should help cement Ben into the top ten. Having to deal with Oline and coaching handicaps.😅

I just have my opinion of 6-ish but top 10 is A-ok as well. Hell like top 15 considering all the QBs that have played since the inception of football (stolen from Blitz thank you) is A-ok as well.

Ben is better than most think but probably is pedistaled by some (me).

Salute the nation